FA Signing: 49er's sign former NY Giant Rb Jacobs

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This one stumps me. They have some solid young talent at Rb, why pay for this retread?

no link, but I have seen it referenced at a few sites.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
This one stumps me. They have some solid young talent at Rb, why pay for this retread?

no link, but I have seen it referenced at a few sites.

Put a photo of a cheeseburger behind the goalposts and this fool will move the earth on 4th and 1 to get it. Thats why.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
nice signing IMO. Jacobs is a punishing runner when he wants to be. Gore is on the back 9 of his career. I like this move for the 9ers.

gizzil

Jacobs maybe bolsters their RB depth... I just think the 9ers are probably in trouble. Sure, you couldn't ask for a better division to **** all over, and most certainly they will. However, I maintain that throwing wheel routes to Vernon Davis is not going to save them this year. They are going to have to figure out how to move the ball through the air beyond gimmicks and bombing one on ones. Granted, they had a LOT of dropped balls in the playoffs by the WR (Ginn/Crab in particular). Yes, you can spank the NFC West locking down defensively and running the ball. But more and more playoff teams are able to stuff that run and the winning teams have strong QB play. I dunno that Smith is good enough to get them where they want to be...

gizzil

Yeah, he goes down real easy for a big guy (OH) and i seem to recall a bout with the fumbleitis

efactor

Coming at you
Not a huge fan of this move.

Gore is so much better than Jacobs, and him losing carries would hurt the team. They already have someone who can play the Jacobs role in Dixon, plus he plays special teams (pretty well too).

I wouldn't be surprised if Jacobs gets released before the season starts.

RLLD

This may also be an indication that Harbaugh intends to rely on his defense to keep it close, and then run at you until your defense is exhausted, and also keep the other offense off of the field......grind it out.... but this is also an indicator of RBBC

efactor

Coming at you
This may also be an indication that Harbaugh intends to rely on his defense to keep it close, and then run at you until your defense is exhausted, and also keep the other offense off of the field......grind it out.... but this is also an indicator of RBBC

Then why did they sign Moss and Manningham?

I think they will try (optimum word try) to balance the offense more this year, utilizing the RBs out of the backfield. Pathetic number of receptions out of the RBs (something like 35). Gore and Hunter are both good receivers and Harbaugh talked last year about how he wanted to get them out in space. Didn't happen though.

I just don't see Jacobs getting much work if he even makes the team. Gore had a solid year in 2011 and was injury free. Even when Harbaugh said he was limiting Gores touches due to an "injured ankle", Gore came out and said that wasn't true. It was a coaches decision, which I think had to do with trying to keep him fresh for the full season and playoffs, which is fine. He had 300 touches last year, which I think is perfect. I watched every game last year and didn't see much, if any dropoff from 3-4 years ago. They talk about Jacobs being the "short yardage" guy, but Gore is a tougher inside runner despite being 50 pounds lighter.

This signing just makes no sense to me, but will be interesting to watch.

RLLD

Then why did they sign Moss and Manningham?

I think they will try (optimum word try) to balance the offense more this year, utilizing the RBs out of the backfield. Pathetic number of receptions out of the RBs (something like 35). Gore and Hunter are both good receivers and Harbaugh talked last year about how he wanted to get them out in space. Didn't happen though.

I just don't see Jacobs getting much work if he even makes the team. Gore had a solid year in 2011 and was injury free. Even when Harbaugh said he was limiting Gores touches due to an "injured ankle", Gore came out and said that wasn't true. It was a coaches decision, which I think had to do with trying to keep him fresh for the full season and playoffs, which is fine. He had 300 touches last year, which I think is perfect. I watched every game last year and didn't see much, if any dropoff from 3-4 years ago. They talk about Jacobs being the "short yardage" guy, but Gore is a tougher inside runner despite being 50 pounds lighter.

This signing just makes no sense to me, but will be interesting to watch.

More weapons, plain and simple. With Alex Smith at the helm they are not going to suddenly shift gears into a down field team. They will keep the formula that worked for them.

efactor

Coming at you
More weapons, plain and simple. With Alex Smith at the helm they are not going to suddenly shift gears into a down field team. They will keep the formula that worked for them.

They will still run the ball, but you will see a more balanced team this year, not a more heavy run team. Not saying they will do a 180 but they got more weapons to become more balanced, not as decoys.