2023 Phicinfan's 2nd Mock draft

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, I am hearing some funny rumors, so want to take a different approach to this mock. Focusing more on the top 15 or so picks depending on which rumor is true.

So lets put some ground rules in.
1) I am hearing more and more the over/under for WRs taken in round 1 is 2.5 - so we will work with that.
2) I am hearing Trade talk at #2 and #3, so will address that accordingly.
3) IMO over under for Qb in round 1 is 4. IMO neither Richardson or Levis are worth trading into the top 5 for - so Colts could be safe at 4

Mock Draft:
1) Carolina - Bryce Young QB Alabama - this forces a move at #2 so lets see what happens...
Option 1
2) TRADE - Houston supposedly wanted Young only, so instead moves out to get more picks - Best option to me is Indianapolis since dropping to 4 gets them talent they need - Indianapolis - C.J. Stroud QB Ohio State
3) Arizona - just lost all its trade potential - so IMO this is a clear pick - Will Anderson OLB Alabama
4) Houston - taking best talent available here for a DC minded coach - Jalen Carter DT Georgia
5) Seattle - 2 picks in first round top DE and top DT gone - sticking with defense and going Tyree Wilson DE Texas Tech
6) Detroit - with top DL gone - going for young CB since the FA moves were short time fixes and they traded Okudah away - Devon Witherspoon CB Illinois
7) Las Vegas - Christian Gonzales CB Oregon is highest need - not QB
8) Atlanta - Lukas Van Ness DE Iowa - need to build up the defense to help young offense
9) Chicago - Paris Johnson Jr OT Ohio State - OL and DL are biggest needs and keeping Fields on his feet is priority
10) Philadelphia - need is S, DL and Lb - never ever take LB in first round, S either. I could see a trade back here for a team that wants QB, but my gut says - Peter Skoronski G/OT Northwestern this is what Philly does, they have need at OG, and need future OT replacements
11) Tennessee - Titans are exstatic here - Anthony Richardson QB Florida just dropped to them for no cost - and they now have future to build with and let him sit for a year and develop.
12) Houston Texans - more defense - Miles Murphy DE Clemson
13) NY Jets - Broderick Jones OT Georgia - need to keep Aaron Rodgers on his feet.
14) New England - WR a need, but not here. QB? I am hearing more and more they are not high on Mac Jones, but don't see it happening. RB? Patriots don't take first round RBs very often, tell you what, lets leave it here and try option 2.

Option 2
2) Houston - Takes C.J. Stroud QB Ohio State
3) Arizona - Will Anderson OLB Alabama - I just don't see anyone willing to trade up this high to get a QB, they aren't that good or ready to play
4) Indianapolis - Anthony Richardson QB Florida - he is there at no extra cost
5) Seattle - DT Jalen Carter Georgia
6) Detroit - Tyree Wilson DE Texas Tech - Wow him and Hutchinson on opposite sides...Yikes
7) Las Vegas - Christian Gonzales CB Oregon
8) Atlanta - Lukas Van Ness DE Iowa
9) Chicago - Paris Johnson Jr OT Ohio State
10) Philadelphia - yes they resigned both CBs, but this is a need and the value is too high - Devon Witherspoon CB Illinois
11) Tennessee - a change here may be in place - I have no idea how they feel about Levis. So switching to top OL which is major need - Peter Skoronski G/OT Northwestern
12) Houston - so here is the thing, they went QB at #2, so Defense here? Or offensive tool to help young QB? - I think its the latter - Zay Flowers WR Boston College
Rest probably falls the same

hikeNbike

I'm betting over 2.5 receivers in the first round of given the option. That seems low. Feels like Cowboys are likely to take a receiver or TE if Bijan Robinson is not there at their pick. Bills feel the same way to me. And I feel like the OSU wr, TCU wr, and USC receiver are locks and Zay Flowers feels like a pretty safe bet to end up in the first round, with a couple others even possible.

efactor

Coming at you
I'm betting over 2.5 receivers in the first round of given the option. That seems low. Feels like Cowboys are likely to take a receiver or TE if Bijan Robinson is not there at their pick. Bills feel the same way to me. And I feel like the OSU wr, TCU wr, and USC receiver are locks and Zay Flowers feels like a pretty safe bet to end up in the first round, with a couple others even possible.
JSN, Addison and Flowers are virtual locks for the first round. Johnson and Jalin Hyatt could very well end up first rounders as well.

hikeNbike

I'm surprised everyone is so down on Johnson. He was electric all year last year for TCU and looks the part of a really good pro.

hikeNbike

If Houston passes on a QB man that makes it even worse winning that last game. I am leaning Bryce Young #1 but I do feel like him and Stroud are both worth grabbing at #1 so I think it would be silly to pass on Stroud to take a defender who while he may be great isn't going to substantially change the teams win total and just going to push the need for a QB to next year.

hikeNbike

Also did the Titans already see enough of Willis that they don't think he can be a starting QB? I'm not saying don't take a QB, but I do find it a bit curious they take a project last year then are looking for another project QB this year.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Also did the Titans already see enough of Willis that they don't think he can be a starting QB? I'm not saying don't take a QB, but I do find it a bit curious they take a project last year then are looking for another project QB this year.
Yes, which is why they kept playing who they did instead of Willis. Dobbs.

Phicinfan

Administrator
If Houston passes on a QB man that makes it even worse winning that last game. I am leaning Bryce Young #1 but I do feel like him and Stroud are both worth grabbing at #1 so I think it would be silly to pass on Stroud to take a defender who while he may be great isn't going to substantially change the teams win total and just going to push the need for a QB to next year.
I am wondering if they are jonesing for one of the other teams to jump up. You could end up with 2 or maybe even 3 #1s from the right team if they give on Stroud. Lets face it, QBs in drafts are crap shoots, but most times Rush ends have a higher hit rate.

hikeNbike

I am wondering if they are jonesing for one of the other teams to jump up. You could end up with 2 or maybe even 3 #1s from the right team if they give on Stroud. Lets face it, QBs in drafts are crap shoots, but most times Rush ends have a higher hit rate.
I get it but at some point you have to have a QB to win, I guess it doesn't hurt to be patient one more year but they better get a lot in a deal so they have picks to trade up if needed to take Caleb Williams or the best QB put there next year.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I get it but at some point you have to have a QB to win, I guess it doesn't hurt to be patient one more year but they better get a lot in a deal so they have picks to trade up if needed to take Caleb Williams or the best QB put there next year.
But putting a rookie Qb on a bad team won’t help him develop. Build the lines add some tools THEN bring in the QB of the future. Let some vet take the abuse and keep getting high picks while you suck

efactor

Coming at you
I'm surprised everyone is so down on Johnson. He was electric all year last year for TCU and looks the part of a really good pro.
A lot of drops and from what I read, not a good route runner.

His strength is run after the catch. The question is will that translate to the NFL when he is playing against bigger, better athletes. We will see.

He has good size but the obsession with big bodied WRs is kind of waning in the NFL. Johnson has gone from a virtual first round lock to somewhere in the 2nd. But same thing happened to Metcalf and he ended up being a star. Will be one of the more interesting picks this year.

hikeNbike

But putting a rookie Qb on a bad team won’t help him develop. Build the lines add some tools THEN bring in the QB of the future. Let some vet take the abuse and keep getting high picks while you suck

I guess they will get their QB next year.

hikeNbike

Favorite pick in 2024 is Kool-Aid McInstry to the Bears at 13. If he works out that's awesome as you always need good corners. If he doesn't play well then the Bears drank too much of the Kool-Aid.