2021 News/Rumors NFL Free Agency

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Andy Dalton was ”OK” in his prime but he Isn’t in his prime any longer and has zero upside to be anything more than a slightly below average NFL QB. They would be better off rolling with Trubisky one more year with the hope that it comes together for him in year 5. They can still draft a young QB either way. Dalton is not leading them to the playoffs.

While true “THE BENGALS” made the playoffs 5 straight years with Dalton, it was more the defense that led the way, not average Andy. From 2011 thru 2015, they ranked 9th, 8th, 5th, 12th and 2nd in total defense. They also had a very good o-line with Wentworth, Zietler and Smith. They ran the ball well, played good defense and won some games. Dalton also had one of the premier receivers in football in AJ Green. They also lost every one of their first round playoff games in the period, so Dalton didn’t exactly step up big in those games.

As far as last year, Dalton is an experienced QB and had great weapons. Dallas doesn’t have an overly complicated offense and they have a lot of weapons. Dalton pretty much stunk it up In a good situation.

Zero upside in this move for Chicago.
Thank you Captain Obvious. There is NO UPSIDE with Trubisky either. Your point?
If they had re-signed Trubisky or said Foles was starting then Chicago would have gone Apeshit and not paid for a damn ticket.
Now, will they pay for Dalton, no. However they tried to get Wilson and didn't have the picks to do it. So Dalton is at least a chance to make some head way.

You can't seriously believe Chicago would be better of with Trubisky. Seriously. If you are, I want some of what you are smoking or drinking. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Per PFT, per reports Golladay is wanting $18.5 million per year - that ain't happening in this year's salary cap world
CHI - still trying to sign Golladay(if his price drops) to pair with Allen Robinson
DEN - restructures contract of K Brandon McManus - and have reached a long term deal with S Justin Simmons who they had placed the FT on.
CIN - Bengals also releasing Qb Ryan Finley(thank god) and OL Bobby Hart
BAL - have started to reach out to Golladay for a visit
CLE - re-signing K Cody Parkey
CIN - sign OL Reilly Reiff(former Viking)
DEN - GM says they want competition for Drew Lock, but won't force it.

efactor

Coming at you
If they had re-signed Trubisky or said Foles was starting then Chicago would have gone Apeshit and not paid for a damn ticket.
Now, will they pay for Dalton, no. However they tried to get Wilson and didn't have the picks to do it. So Dalton is at least a chance to make some head way.

You can't seriously believe Chicago would be better of with Trubisky. Seriously. If you are, I want some of what you are smoking or drinking. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.
Open your eyes and you will see the point

There is much more upside potential in Trubisky at this point than in Dalton. Dalton isn't going to get better at this point in his career. Trubisky may make the next step. It's really not that hard to grasp. Bears are better off taking a chance on Trubisky getting better than they are with old, we know what we are getting, Andy Dalton.

You haven't given a single reason why Dalton is a better option other than "because I said so"

Change for the sake of change. Never a good approach

Phicinfan

Administrator
Open your eyes and you will see the point

There is much more upside potential in Trubisky at this point than in Dalton. Dalton isn't going to get better at this point in his career. Trubisky may make the next step. It's really not that hard to grasp. Bears are better off taking a chance on Trubisky getting better than they are with old, we know what we are getting, Andy Dalton.

You haven't given a single reason why Dalton is a better option other than "because I said so"

Change for the sake of change. Never a good approach
My eyes are open. He hasn't gotten better in Chicago in 4 years. Its ridiculous to assume anything will change there. Dalton is better as he is more experienced and more steady. I HAVE given you data, you ignore it. Youth is not a magic bullet. Ask Ryan Leaf

efactor

Coming at you
My eyes are open. He hasn't gotten better in Chicago in 4 years. Its ridiculous to assume anything will change there. Dalton is better as he is more experienced and more steady. I HAVE given you data, you ignore it. Youth is not a magic bullet. Ask Ryan Leaf
Dalton is better how?

Dalton has had one above average season, which occurred in his 5th season, which is where Trubisky would be heading into this year. His QBR in 2015 was an excellent 106. In 2016, he dropped to 91, which is the only other year he was above 90. Rest of his career, his QBR was in the 80s with a career QB rating of 87, same as Trubisky.

Dalton isn't better, he has just played longer. Dalton is 74-66-2 as a starter. Trubisky is 29-21

Difference is Dalton is old and won't get better. Trubisky is young and may still improve.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Dalton is better how?

Dalton has had one above average season, which occurred in his 5th season, which is where Trubisky would be heading into this year. His QBR in 2015 was an excellent 106. In 2016, he dropped to 91, which is the only other year he was above 90. Rest of his career, his QBR was in the 80s with a career QB rating of 87, same as Trubisky.

Dalton isn't better, he has just played longer. Dalton is 74-66-2 as a starter. Trubisky is 29-21

Difference is Dalton is old and won't get better. Trubisky is young and may still improve.
And if you put wings on a pig, it may fly. We can agree to disagree, but if you think Trubisky in Chicago(please note the location..) had any hope to improve, then you don't understand history. He has had 4 years, he has been in the office 2 years, and Andy Dalton in ONE year in Dallas with no practice or experience with the Dallas Wrs had an equivalent year. Dalton reads defenses better, and he is a vet that won't panic.

Again, lets be clear here, I am NOT saying Dalton should be the Qb in Chicago. I would have thought if they were willing to give up the farm to get Wilson, they would be willing to give up SOMETHING to move up in this draft. They may still.

But if I have to choose between Dalton, Foles or Trubisky, I would first have overbid Washington for Fitzpatrick if I could, if not then signed Dalton.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Texans sign Ryan Finlay!

A sense a deal for Watson coming soon. Texans have their QB now ;)
WTF?!?!?!?!
I am hearing they can't give away Watson now, due to drop in cost due to charges filed. That would be Houston, wait this long and then get less than they should have.

efactor

Coming at you
WTF?!?!?!?!
I am hearing they can't give away Watson now, due to drop in cost due to charges filed. That would be Houston, wait this long and then get less than they should have.
Read on CBS that there are "several teams" still trying to trade for Watson. I bet there are, but somehow, I don't think the offers are the same as they were last week lol

Phicinfan

Administrator
CLE - signing Lb Anthony Walker(formerly Colt) - 1 year $3.5 million

WAIT a second, this goes beyond ridiculous... HOU and CIN TRADE for Finley. What they got for Finley is unknown.

Remote Controller

Yes, I believe they would have been better off with Trubisky. I say this only because the move for Dalton just seems so weak. A five pound sack of potatoes is a five pound sack of potatoes whether they are reds or russets. 🤷

Phicinfan

Administrator
Yes, I believe they would have been better off with Trubisky. I say this only because the move for Dalton just seems so weak. A five pound sack of potatoes is a five pound sack of potatoes whether they are reds or russets. 🤷
A new 5 lb bag is better than a sack of rotten spuds