2020 Opt-Out NFL Players

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the the NFL's deadline for players opting out of the 2020 season is now expected to be "Thursday or Friday."

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Opt out period has passed - 67 NFL players have taken the opt out option.

However, there is still a chance for some...
1) they can retire at any time if they decide they want
2) there is a provision in the CBA, that if the player moves into the High risk catagory he can opt out then
3) if there is a fatality in the player's family, again they can then opt out.

Mike

Administrator
Opt out period has passed - 67 NFL players have taken the opt out option.

However, there is still a chance for some...
1) they can retire at any time if they decide they want
2) there is a provision in the CBA, that if the player moves into the High risk catagory he can opt out then
3) if there is a fatality in the player's family, again they can then opt out.

These guys are getting a decent check for not playing. If I read it right, it's $150k for healthy opt outs and $350K if you are at risk.

That said, lets just assume there is no vaccine by the beginning of football season. Pretty good chance of that.

What has the CBA set up the remainder of the players that have chosen to engage in practice, maybe play a game or three, before the entire season gets shut down?

Let's face it. The odds of the NFL season not finishing, or being over even before it gets started, is probably at 98% right now.

Walter34

A bunch of other players have fully guaranteed portions of their salary over and above those minimums. This is mostly the top 20-30% who have the big deals and protection clauses.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
These guys are getting a decent check for not playing. If I read it right, it's $150k for healthy opt outs and $350K if you are at risk.

That said, lets just assume there is no vaccine by the beginning of football season. Pretty good chance of that.

What has the CBA set up the remainder of the players that have chosen to engage in practice, maybe play a game or three, before the entire season gets shut down?

Let's face it. The odds of the NFL season not finishing, or being over even before it gets started, is probably at 98% right now.
I will have to dig, but I believe they get a prorated salary based on games played.
Here is the catch with the opt out though, it is a salary advance for next season. IF said player opted out, and doesn't make the team next year, they will have to pay that advance back.