2019 NCAA Football- The Top Four- Who You Got

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
In the early game it's a case of be careful what you wish for because I've wanted to face off with the Sooners every since we beat 'Bama. Now here we are. LSU is my winner here playing in Atlanta which has often times felt a bit like home.

Tonight it's the Buckeyes vs those other Tigers in what should be the game of the day. If my Tigers are to win the title this year I'd love to win it by again beating Ohio State in New Orleans so my pick tonight is Ohio State. What fun it would be to have Burrow vs the Buckeyes in the biggest of games to end the season.

cctekguy

Staff member
I got Notre Dame over Iowa State

LSU over Oklahoma

Clemson over Ohio State.

Like you, I would prefer to face Ohio State. Burrow is projected to be drafted #1 by Cincinnati. It would be a nice introduction to Bengal fans to see their 1st round pick play in a big game.

Bucknut

That was a good game. Rarely do you see a game that physical anymore.

I think the refs screwed up the fumble that was taken for a TD by overturning it and calling it an incomplete pass.

But, Ohio State had plenty of chances to win it and didn't come through.

hikeNbike

Ohio State lost the game in the first half. They should have got tds instead of field goals. Once it was close in the fourth I felt like Clemson would pull it out. I still thought that call reversal on the OSU defensive td was absurd. I continue to be baffled by whats considered a catch versus not a catch. Beyond that though I also find myself questioning whats the threshold of indisputable evidence. Seems like some calls are overturned that shouldnt be and others seem like clear instances to overturn and they are not. Seemed like a catch and a fumble to me, I don't think it was clear on the replay to be overturned.

Moving on to the championship game. We all knew Oklahomas defense was an issue, but nevertheless LSUs offense was spectacular. And getting out to that lead hrlped the defense which I still think is a little suspect. Same scenario in the Championship game I think Clemson wins a close one or LSU wins in a semi blowout. 14 points or more to LSU. Anything a Td or less and I think Clemson's coaching staff and experience will be the difference.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I agree that Ohio State lost the game, they dropped 2 sure TD passes. That would have really swung the game. I will add though the targeting call was crap and so was the fumble reversal.

loved the game though, good old fashioned slobber knocker

romanempire

I agree that Ohio State lost the game, they dropped 2 sure TD passes. That would have really swung the game. I will add though the targeting call was crap and so was the fumble reversal.

loved the game though, good old fashioned slobber knocker

The fumble reversal was a terrible call.

cctekguy

Staff member
I will add though the targeting call was crap and so was the fumble reversal.

I assume you're talking about the Wade/Lawrence targeting call. In a stand alone discussion I can see your argument.

But no one is mentioning the OTHER targeting call. The criminal targeting call. The one where Etienne was just trotting in the open field, away from the play. Anyone remember that ONE? The defense man (can't remember his name cuz no one will write about it) torpedoed himself into Etienne with his cross hairs on his helmet.

Anyone remember that play?

So in light of that, I fully agree with the call on Wade. Refs had to do SOMETHING to curb the assassination attempts against Clemson's star players.

If you'll also remember, in a pre-game interview with Ohio's head coach he suggested that VIOLENCE was part of their strategy.

Maybe you remember how the Ohio bench butt slapped and high fived the 2 players who got ejected. Maybe that's normal, I dunno.

Bucknut

I assume you're talking about the Wade/Lawrence targeting call. In a stand alone discussion I can see your argument.

But no one is mentioning the OTHER targeting call. The criminal targeting call. The one where Etienne was just trotting in the open field, away from the play. Anyone remember that ONE? The defense man (can't remember his name cuz no one will write about it) torpedoed himself into Etienne with his cross hairs on his helmet.

Anyone remember that play?

So in light of that, I fully agree with the call on Wade. Refs had to do SOMETHING to curb the assassination attempts against Clemson's star players.

If you'll also remember, in a pre-game interview with Ohio's head coach he suggested that VIOLENCE was part of their strategy.

Maybe you remember how the Ohio bench butt slapped and high fived the 2 players who got ejected. Maybe that's normal, I dunno.
Not sure about the "other" targeting call you are refering to - I missed that one.

I don't have a problem about the Wade call. Yeah, the rule is BS - but according to the rule I agree with the refs it was targeting. It didn't seem intentional, but it met the criteria. That play completely turned the game around.

cctekguy

Staff member
Final comments on that "Other" targeting call:

I've scoured the internet for some sort of comment on it. On the 29th, I found one web site that at least mentioned the defender's name but I can't remember and I can't find the page in my history.

I re-watched the entirety of the game today and saw no such play.

No one here remembers the play.

The 2 obvious conclusions are... (1) The play quickly got covered up by the NCAA and media. (2) I am delusional.

I lean toward the latter but I sure do remember a lot of details of something that didn't happen.

Clemson was moving right to left on the TV screen. The play was a sideline play to the top of the screen. Commentators initial comment was to point out what a great block Etienne made on the play. During the first replay commentators then became outraged. No flag was thrown on the on the play but refs stopped the game just prior to the next snap. It went to review and refs called targeting and SOMEBODY got ejected.

So there you have it. Unless some other evidence pops up, I should be considered legally NUTS o_O