2011 without the NFL

Scout200

As the end of the season is approaching, several are wondering about the possible lockout next year. If there is a lockout in 2011 what impact will it have on the NFL, players, fans and in general, America? Also, if there is a lockout, who's to blame?

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
If there is a lockout, I'm wondering how many players stay in football shape during the lockout. I've also heard that it may be a partial season. But all in all, 2011 with no NFL will be a sad, sad year. :sadbanana:

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Well there will still be arena football and the CFL, if thats even considered football. Oh yeah the european league also is around. Just not the same tho w/o the nfl. Dont think Goodall will let a strike or whatever happen. If it does happen tho, could it be the beginning to the end of the nfl as we know it?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I just can't see it. I can't see the NFL letting all this momentum go. They have gone to the top of most watched and followed sports in the country, and gaining even more popularity in the world. A strike could be catastrophic to that momentum. Look at what has happened to baseball, and it took a HUGE home run race to bring it even partially back.

I also don't think the players are in a place to survive a long term shut down.

I think in the end, a deal will be made, and it will be sometime this year. It will come down to both sides giving on some items...to make a solid long term deal.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
I'll have to figure out what has become public knowledge and what hasn't... but according to my sources a holdout is very likely.

Scout200

As of now, ESPN is agreeing to pay $2 billion per year for the next decade - which, if that happens, the lockout probably won't happen.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
All I have seen is totally both ways.

There have been reports the players don't have enough protection for pay if there is a lock out.
Then there are reports there is a union slush fund to handle this for a while.
I hear Owners have been saving and stashing for years for this, then reports that they can't afford to be without play.

Honestly, I think it would be a huge mistake for a lock out. The owners will get no fan sympathy, as they put themselves in this situation to begin with.