2011 NFL Draft Discussion - Round 1

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Ill say what I think, and you can feel free to add in....

Im still leery of Miller until I see him on the field not going all Vernon Gholston on us, but if he pans out Denver made an outstanding pick at 2 overall.

Arizona needed to go QB at #5, and with what happened after them this will haunt them for a while unless they get Colin Kaepernick.

Id like someone to explain the San Francisco pick to me....

Anyone know what the hell Tennessee was thinking? If any pick of the 1st round has disaster written all over it, this is the one.

Jerry Jones made the right choice getting an impact offensive lineman at 9. Solid, safe, smart choice to protect your aging 31 year old "quarterback".

Jacksonville going up and getting Gabbert was great for them (and saved Gabbert from Shanny). I could see Gerrard getting shipped off IF someone would take him now.

Christian Ponder to Minnesota was a panic pick IMO based on Locker going way too friggin high. Still, Ponder is a solid QB and it gives the Vikings two solid young talents at the position.

For decades now the Lions have been largely a bunch of pushovers. The last couple years under the new regime have been refreshing to watch, and with the addition of Fairley the Lions have what I think is the best DL in the division, and possibly one which will grow into the best in the NFL down the road. For a guy who is not a fan of the Lions, I am excited to see what that DT combo is going to do. This is truly a pick that made Jay Cutler cringe....

Surprised Miami went OL instead of RB. Not sure what to make of that one....

Im guessing NE is just looking to take on the Solder project. Ill say if anyone can make it work, Bellicheck can.

Guess SD/NYG just took best available?

Cleveland took a good risk on monster NT Phil Taylor. At some point you knew they would need to take a hard line on improving that defense to have a snowballs chance, and Taylor at least helps.

I thought Taylor would drop to the Chiefs, but when he didnt they went out and got a real #2 WR in the Brandon Marshall built Jonathan Baldwin to pair with Dwayne Bowe. Nice pick KC.

Mark Ingram to the Saints was a good land for Ingram. This pick is worth another thread to talk about it.

Great pick by Green Bay on Sherrod for the OL.

I really thought Tomlin was in love with Aaron Williams considering how much time he personally spent with Williams parents at the Texas Pro Day, but given the injuries the Steelers caught last year on the DL, Hayward was a good grab.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Jacksonville going up and getting Gabbert was great for them (and saved Gabbert from Shanny). I could see Gerrard getting shipped off IF someone would take him now.

Shannie and Allen traded the pick to Jax. So either Washington thought Ponder would be there a little later, or its taking us all the way back to the beginning where these are not franchise QBs at all. Never were. It could also explain Cardinals taking BPA rather than Gabbert, and why someone like Harbaugh opted to pass on them.

efactor

Coming at you
Id like someone to explain the San Francisco pick to me....

Peterson was gone. They didn't think Prince was as good as advertised (a lot of teams didn't apparently). They needed a pass rusher. Thought Smith was better than Quinn or any of the others available.

Not a big surprise. I never bought that Peterson would be available at 7 and figured a pass rushing type DE/LB would be the pick. Smith was moving up the boards. Seems like a good pick. We'll see.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, I am still gonna grade my own mocks. But I wanted to cover the key picks.......

I can't argue too much the Denver pick. Miller may just be the outside rusher they have needed, but to me DT is much more needed. Buffalo picking the right player was a great thing to see. I love what Buffalo and Detroit have been doing to turn things around, you do it be building the lines.

Cincy takes A.J. :wow: Bye, bye Ocho :hi: Is this enough to entice Palmer back?? Here is the thing though, during the draft, Sheffter let slip that Atlanta made an offer for this pick to get Green. If this is true, and it was near what Cleveland got, Brown and Lewis are fools. If it wasn't, and their turning it down forced Atlanta to overpay to get Jones, the AFC North benefited.

Tennessee is a train wreck. Locker....Really??? I don't think he will end up as bad as most do, but he will really suck on that team. Say goodbye to all value you had for Chris Johnson.

Arizona taking Peterson I can understand. He was rated by many as one of the top 3 players overall in this draft. But Mike and Mike on ESPN made a great question here. Is he bait for Kolb? Philly needs a Cb desperately. Passed on J.Smith to take OL. Could Kolb be going to Arizona for Peterson once trades are allowed? dunno: With the top 4 rated Qbs gone, and Dalton going probably in the next 4 picks, Arizona may not have a choice there.

Jacksonville moves up to take Gabbert. Haven't seen what they had to give up yet. But I like it. Garrard has been solid, but not spectacular. But they can keep Garrard, and let Gabbert develop. Which by all reports he needed.

Minnesota is screwed. They paniced. Granted Tenn. forced this, but they paniced.

Only other real "surprise" to me was N.O. trading back into the first to get Ingram. I am on record here that I don't think Ingram is first round material. I have to assume that P.T. is still a risk, and that Bush will be gone, or restructured. Giving up their 1st next year is alot....but if you win, its low anyway.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
For decades now the Lions have been largely a bunch of pushovers. The last couple years under the new regime have been refreshing to watch, and with the addition of Fairley the Lions have what I think is the best DL in the division, and possibly one which will grow into the best in the NFL down the road. For a guy who is not a fan of the Lions, I am excited to see what that DT combo is going to do. This is truly a pick that made Jay Cutler cringe....
That is what I am thinking. I was a little upset when they didn't take Prince or Castonzo, but after reading more about Fairley and seeing film, I like him a lot.

mills

That is what I am thinking. I was a little upset when they didn't take Prince or Castonzo, but after reading more about Fairley and seeing film, I like him a lot.

I understand the pick but I still feel they should have sured up that OL... your "Franchise" QB in Stafford is aging quick with all of the injuries he is sustaining.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
There is no saying they can't get a tackle this round or later. Not all stud OL is first round picks. I think Detroit is focused on key needs, that is developing the lines, and the DL was the worst of all the last few years.

Remote Controller

Seems to me the problem in Detroit has always been that they are always any good QB's huckleberry. That won't change. The emphasis is in the words "GOOD QB". Suh's a beast , and Fairley's a great compliment, but if you can't stop Rodgers quick reads now then it's not gonna help you to overkill the line. When you score those to guys sit down. They needed to show Stafford and Calvin that they were committed to help this team keep Stafford upright long enough for Calvins routes to come open.

What I'm trying to say is good organizations plan on what they need to stop the big guy in their division. All of the Jets moves are aimed at stacking up against the Pats. This didn't aid the Lions as much as an Offensive lineman could have.

efactor

Coming at you
Love the pick by GB. That's great logic.

Why did we win the super bowl? Because we have the best, young QB in the game. Let's protect him the best we can. Get another tackle to go with Buloga and barring injury, we are set at OT for the rest of Rodgers career.

Nice.

efactor

Coming at you
OK. I think SF trades with NE for the 33rd pick. Give up next years 1st.

If SF sucks again, great deal for NE as they get a top 7-8 pick. If SF steps up and wins the division, great deal for them as they get the QB they like (Dalton), keep their 2nd this year and the cost is a 20 something pick next year.

Sounds good anyway.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY

If SF sucks again, great deal for NE as they get a top 7-8 pick. If SF steps up and wins the division, great deal for them as they get the QB they like (Dalton), keep their 2nd this year and the cost is a 20 something pick next year.

Sounds good anyway.

Who would they be targeting?

Remote Controller

Sounds good anyway.
Have you heard anything about the Josh Johnson angle there?

efactor

Coming at you
Have you heard anything about the Josh Johnson angle there?

Nope. Hard to say yay or nay on this type of possibility as I don't know much about Johnson. I have always been surprised by all the Kolb love. 2nd round choice who hasn't done anything. Just don't get why so many think he is worthy of paying a high draft choice for.

As far as Alex Smith. The fact that Harbaugh is a QB friendly coach and he seems to think Smith can be a good QB is somewhat encouaging. However, my feeling is that Smith just doesn't have "it" and to go through another season of him sucking if that proves to be the case, is hard to swallow. SF did that last year and paid the price. I realize that Samari Mike isn't an offensive coach and that they had a bad OC, but still, watching the lack of leadership and continued "deer in the headlights" looks after 6 years in the league makes me think that they cannot afford to go that route. They have the talent to win that division and be a solid team with even a decent QB. I really like the thought of Orton for a year or two while they develop someone like Dalton. They can win with Orton. Not so sure with Smith.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Posted by Phicinfan:
Jacksonville moves up to take Gabbert. Haven't seen what they had to give up yet. But I like it. Garrard has been solid, but not spectacular. But they can keep Garrard, and let Gabbert develop. Which by all reports he needed.

Posted by Sgt John:

I'm not sold on the pick what so ever, but they could have done worse. Really thought they would go DE with the first pick since that is what they needed first and foremost, a pass rusher. From what i'm hearing here is there is no plans on getting rid of Gerrard, yet, as they are all talking it is a great time for Gabbert to sit back and develop and learn the game behind Gerrard for a year or two and go from there. Think they realize that Gabbert will be a project and needs that time. Since they went QB i wish they would have went Dalton or Colin instead. Heard some of Gabberts numbers on %s and WOW i'm not impressed. Hopefully they know what they are doing and start picking up WRs and DL help. Gerrard is doomed until they do bring in a top WR for him. Hell anybody would be doomed til then playing QB here.

mills

Nope. Hard to say yay or nay on this type of possibility as I don't know much about Johnson. I have always been surprised by all the Kolb love. 2nd round choice who hasn't done anything. Just don't get why so many think he is worthy of paying a high draft choice for.

As far as Alex Smith. The fact that Harbaugh is a QB friendly coach and he seems to think Smith can be a good QB is somewhat encouaging. However, my feeling is that Smith just doesn't have "it" and to go through another season of him sucking if that proves to be the case, is hard to swallow. SF did that last year and paid the price. I realize that Samari Mike isn't an offensive coach and that they had a bad OC, but still, watching the lack of leadership and continued "deer in the headlights" looks after 6 years in the league makes me think that they cannot afford to go that route. They have the talent to win that division and be a solid team with even a decent QB. I really like the thought of Orton for a year or two while they develop someone like Dalton. They can win with Orton. Not so sure with Smith.

I have a feeling Harbaugh will be gunning for Luck next season. He sees what is happening with the QB frenzy and probably has a pretty good feeling about his chances.

efactor

Coming at you
I have a feeling Harbaugh will be gunning for Luck next season. He sees what is happening with the QB frenzy and probably has a pretty good feeling about his chances.

Great. Except how are they going to get him? They aren't going to suck and end up in the top 3. Last year's record was due to horrible coaching for the large part. Worse case even with Smith back this year is probably 8-8 in that division.

Assuming Luck has a good year in 2011 and stays healthly, the price will be sky high to move up to get him, assuming the team at #1 even wants to make a deal. Concensus is that he's as close to "can't miss" as possible and wouldn't be traded by a team that needs a QB. Maybe if Carolina gets the #1 again, which is a distinct possibility, then it's a possibility.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Great. Except how are they going to get him? They aren't going to suck and end up in the top 3. Last year's record was due to horrible coaching for the large part. Worse case even with Smith back this year is probably 8-8 in that division.

Assuming Luck has a good year in 2011 and stays healthly, the price will be sky high to move up to get him, assuming the team at #1 even wants to make a deal. Concensus is that he's as close to "can't miss" as possible and wouldn't be traded by a team that needs a QB. Maybe if Carolina gets the #1 again, which is a distinct possibility, then it's a possibility.

Unless Cam is a fluke and they do decide to pick up what i think, one of the greatest QBs to come out of college next season in Luck. Could happen.