2011 Forum Wide Mock Draft Pick #1 - Carolina

2011 Mock Draft pick #1 - Carolina

• Total voters

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
New coach, new system, alot of FAs and alot of needs. Carolina is now on the clock!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
If they had a QB and they don't, I'd like to see them grab AJ Green WR. They'll go with Nick Fairley. He fills one of many needs and he's a safe bet to produce.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
PhoCin I hate to ask a dumb question, I don't know why I do it all of the time, but is the goal here to predict what the teams will do with their draft choices or to say what we would do if we were calling the shots?

Phicinfan

Administrator
PhoCin I hate to ask a dumb question, I don't know why I do it all of the time, but is the goal here to predict what the teams will do with their draft choices or to say what we would do if we were calling the shots?

Its up to you. In this one, i tend to try and pick what I think the team will do. Just so we can compare it to the real draft to see how we did.

Coachnorm

I'll join Mud on the Nick Fairley band wagon. mostly because I haven't really seen much on Bowers. I like his WR line of thinking. Consider also that there Most Likey be a rookie cap this year. This would make trading out of the first pick a lot easier than in the past and could end up being the play for the Panthers this year.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I'll join Mud on the Nick Fairley band wagon. mostly because I haven't really seen much on Bowers. I like his WR line of thinking. Consider also that there Most Likey be a rookie cap this year. This would make trading out of the first pick a lot easier than in the past and could end up being the play for the Panthers this year.

i went Fairly as well. Yes, Wr is a real need. Not sure on Qb yet. However, Wrs taken this early never seem to pan out. Fairley will be a solid anchor for this d-line.

As for trades, won't happen in this draft, not without CBA. Can't make trades of draft picks I believe if no CBA.

bobbeaux

Fairly seems like the obvious choice . . . he fills a need and is one of the safest picks.

I didn't know about the no trading picks if no CBA . . . that sucks for a lot of teams in the top 15 that have lots of holes to fill.

Carolina was at their best when Julius Peppers was hungry to play. Bowers is the same kind of talent, and while Fairley is the safe choice I like the sexy Bowers pick myself.

Fire

in the hole
I'll go with Bowers. Don't agree with Fairley being that safe. He seems to take a lot of plays off to me.

I'm pretty sure that picks can be traded, but players can not, if an agreement is not reached before the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phicinfan

Administrator
If they were to take a QB (won't happen) it would be Newton over Blaine Gabbert.

Not sure I agree here. I realize the hype machine is in full tilt on Newton. His special work out is a main push there. Heck even Mel the hair has moved Cam up. I just get worried to draft a Qb this early with no pro-offense experience. Gabbert can make all the throws, and has run a pro-style set. I think I would still take Gabbert first.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Trade out. Fairley is a guy you dont want to pay #1 money to with his position and charicter concerns, but in a draft that is probably going to be "best available" for everyone, its the safest pick.

Coachnorm

Carolina was at their best when Julius Peppers was hungry to play. Bowers is the same kind of talent, and while Fairley is the safe choice I like the sexy Bowers pick myself.

Thanks, great intel here. Didn't know much about Bowers but I love how Clemson and it's players play the game, with intensity.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay majority choice is Fairley. I will leave this open for further discussion. But the pick has made it to the commissioner, and the pick is:

Nick Fairley DT Auburn