2009 Wonderlic Scores

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
A lot is being made of Ray Mags low score.....being a middle LB, he's the QB of the defense, and needs to have more of a mental capacity than he showed here IMO. This goes right along with the fact that I feel the best of the 3 USC LB's is going to be Brian Cushing.

ExperiencedRookie

Ironically enough, they probably make up the majority of the divas in the league. Not sure if that's a factor, but still.

Hmmm. You might be on to something there. Maybe these players are already divas in the making at the high school level.

Star WR in high school doesn't need to study as hard as other students to get passing grades. Would hate to have the play maker not have a good enough GPA to play on Friday nights.

This then translates to the college level. These morons wouldn't have a chance at sealing up a diploma if it wasn't for their insane God given talent to run fast and catch.

Maybe this also explains why Duke University can't get a decent WR. Because most of these freakazoid athletes aren't smart enough to get by unless they go to a state school.

Wow, I can feel my blood pressure climbing as I rant. Apparently this is something that really bothers me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
IMO, Wonderlic scores are less important the farther away from the ball you are. WR's and CB's can get by and excel without much between their ears. The closer to the ball at the snap you are, the less that is true. QB's, C's, MLB's.....all seem to have a greater importance on smarts to excel.

ExperiencedRookie

Not sure what point you're trying to make here Miller. I think we all get it that the O line men, QB, and MLB are the smartest positions in football. We understand that players at these positions need to show a higher score on the test.

I was just trying to figure out why the CBs and WRs are always on the bottom end of test scores. Are you saying that because of the higher level of intelligence that is needed at those "close to the ball" position, these guys have little choice of the position they will play?

Props to J Maclin for putting up a nice score though. At least 1 NCAA WR has the ability to process thoughts.

Measuring the Intelligence of a Wide Receiver is like trying to identify which cat is the fastest in the open. I pity the fools who have to conduct that test.

Testing them in a cage is cheating, and they know that, that's why they're cats.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Not sure what point you're trying to make here Miller. I think we all get it that the O line men, QB, and MLB are the smartest positions in football. We understand that players at these positions need to show a higher score on the test.

I was just trying to figure out why the CBs and WRs are always on the bottom end of test scores. Are you saying that because of the higher level of intelligence that is needed at those "close to the ball" position, these guys have little choice of the position they will play?

Props to J Maclin for putting up a nice score though. At least 1 NCAA WR has the ability to process thoughts.
Well really wasn't making a direct point in counter to yours, more just my general feeling on the importance of the test to different positions.

As far as why the lower scores at WR/CB, well it does kinda go back to my post. If "intelligence" is not as important to the success at that position it makes sense to see that guys with lower scores here can still be elite prospects at that position. Guys who play other positions that may demand a higher intelligence level and would struggle with this test may not get to this elite level in their sport due to the lack of intelligence needed to succeed at that spot. With WR's and CB's, it's not as important so they still make it to this point on their natural talent.

Not written in stone, just something to think about though.