2009 QB Class

RLLD

Looking for some thoughts on the QB class of 2009

Matt Stafford : Yes he was heralded as the best QB pretty much all year, but I am not sure I agree with that. I am 50/50 as to whether or not Detroit is going to be a good place for him. he DOES have megatron, and a running game, but does he have enough to succeed?

Mark Sanchez : Some claim he is better than Stafford, not sure I agree with that, not sure how anyone can support such a claim for either one of them. I think I might like him better from a fantasy(dynasty) perspective. He will be playing for a defensive-minded coach, so airing the ball will me minimalized, giving him an early boost for perhaps playing time and also perhaps the minimalization of mistakes.

Josh Freeman : Likely not in the same class as the aforementioned two, but why not exactly? He seems to have great athletic tools, and also decent football intelligence, reducing mistakes might be the biggest concern.

Assuming we can agree that Freeman is #3, how do we argue for or against the first two?
:stooges:

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Stafford is going to the worst team. And even worse they didn't address the O-line in the draft, leaving their 46 million dollar man with no protection. He has the arm strength and athletic ability to be a great quarterback. Only time will tell.

Sanchez is going to a well structured team, with their running back of the future (if he pans out). The Jets have a good defense, and a telented offense. Sanchez also has the ability to be a great quarterback. I like him more than Stafford. The only thing I'm worried about with him is his 1 year of starting experience.

Freeman I am not sure about right now.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I am not sure we have a solid NFL qb in this lot. Detroit went and got tools for Stafford to use...but will he be able to with that OLine?

Sanchez has tools, and a better Oline and a solid defense...but I just don't think he has the ability.

Freeman was just a wasted pick. He needs a couple years to develop...and I am not sure Tampa can wait that long.

Fire

in the hole
Looking for some thoughts on the QB class of 2009

Matt Stafford : Yes he was heralded as the best QB pretty much all year, but I am not sure I agree with that. I am 50/50 as to whether or not Detroit is going to be a good place for him. he DOES have megatron, and a running game, but does he have enough to succeed?

Mark Sanchez : Some claim he is better than Stafford, not sure I agree with that, not sure how anyone can support such a claim for either one of them. I think I might like him better from a fantasy(dynasty) perspective. He will be playing for a defensive-minded coach, so airing the ball will me minimalized, giving him an early boost for perhaps playing time and also perhaps the minimalization of mistakes.

Josh Freeman : Likely not in the same class as the aforementioned two, but why not exactly? He seems to have great athletic tools, and also decent football intelligence, reducing mistakes might be the biggest concern.

Assuming we can agree that Freeman is #3, how do we argue for or against the first two?
:stooges:

Here is a very detailed scouting report on Stafford:
Matthew Stafford, Georgia, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com Football

Another on Sanchez:
Mark Sanchez, Southern California, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com Football

One for Freeman:
Josh Freeman, Kansas State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com Football

This site gives the most detailed scouting reports that I have found yet, without having to pay for the info. Be sure to scroll down for the good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Im not thrilled with the top of this class. I think Detroit should have held on till 2010.

Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman can all throw a pretty ball. They are all nice physical specimens.

Also:

Stafford never had a 300 yard game in college, never took a game over, and pretty much rode that "prototype" size to the top of a weak class

Sanchez had a great 16 game career. HE PLAYED AT USC. My grandmother could have a great 16 game career with a team whos backups could finish 2nd in the conference. Im not sold AT ALL on this kid in the northeast.

Freeman never won a conference championship, never won a bowl game, and never was a household name outside Manhattan (Kansas). B-U-S-T.

I believe 5-10 years from now, the value is going to be in the bottom of this class. Guys like Drew Willy, Nate Davis, Stephen McGee (even though Dallas taking him was dumb).

My thoughts anyway

Stafford: Although not my pick for Detroit I think his future has the best forecast. He strikes me as someone smart enough to handle this league and has the skills to perform what he needs.

Sanchez: I think he has the highest bust potential of the top 3. His cost to NY between salary and draft picks may exceed Detroits investment in Stafford.

Freeman: I liked him a lot more when I thought he was going to slide but the burst prior to the draft makes me think he will be rushed into service and I do not have a good feel whether he will hold up. Could be TB's longterm answer for a position that seems continually in transition for them and I wish him the best

I suspect White should get some play. Pennington did well last year but if he reverts to his Jet days I can see White becoming a serious contender to be their QB of the future.

Like Sgt I would put McGee on a watch list for a season or 2 down the road. Romo has done nothing for the C'boys yet and if this kid develops he will eventually replace him.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
McGee was an interesting choice. The guy played his HS ball right up the road from me in Burnet, TX. He has a good skill set, and the added benefit of getting away from College Station now. (I suspect Mike Sherman will ruin many a potential NFL career at A&M)

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Im not thrilled with the top of this class. I think Detroit should have held on till 2010.

Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman can all throw a pretty ball. They are all nice physical specimens.

I agree. I think the Lions should have went Smith or Curry with number 1 this year and waited for next year to get a QB.

DearbornDolfan

The Lions are still the Lions, so Stafford will naturally be a bust. Just like Harrington, it won't be his fault, but there you have it. Sanchez is going to be a bust because the Jets suck and he has no real weapons. Freeman I think has the physical tools, but people dog on his production with a horrible K-State team, so we'll see how he does with a familiar coach and NFL-quality talent around him.

It says something about this class that the quarterbacks from spread offenses are likely to be the ones who light the NFL up, not the guys from "pro" offenses. I think that's going to be a continuing trend and you'll see the NFL being forced to embrace and evolve the spread offenses of the NCAA.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I like Stafford. He's a tough, smart kid who can make all the throws. He has good weapons to grow up with. he'll take him lumps as his line is still not good, but he'll also show some things. They may even let him learn most of the year behind C-Pepp which IMO would be a good decision, let pepper get crushed and let Stafford learn.

Outside of him I don't like any of the QB's. Sanchez should have stayed and his stock got inflated due to no other options and a few teams with deep pocketed owners without a QB driving his stock up.

Freeman.....don't have to repeat my thoughts here, he will be a bust and TB will regret that move for a few years.