2009 HOF class will be announced today

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
So who's going to Canton? The fate of this year's class will be determined today, so who's going to get the call? Here are the top candidates:

• Rod Woodson - Consider this one a lock, he was a member the the NFL's 75th anniversary team and will be heading to Canton on the first ballot.
  • Bruce Smith - NFL's career sack leader with 200 sacks. Another first ballot guy who seems to be a lock.
  • Bob Hayes - Eligible for 29 years, Hayes has been put back on the ballot by the senior committee and there is a sense that there is growing support of Bob Hayes finally getting the call.
  • Cris Carter - I was shocked when he didn't get in last year, i will be equally shocked if they don't correct that this year. 42 100 yard games, 130 TD's, 2nd player ever to reach 1,000 catches. Enough said.
  • Shannon Sharpe - Led the revolution of the TE position to what it is today. 815 receptions, 10,000+ yds, and 62 TD's. Can't see the arument against him, but some feel he's going to have to wait. IMO, he's a first ballot guy.
  • Derrick Thomas - More sacks in the 90's (116.5) than any other player. Was a dominant LB who's career was cut short due to a fatal car accident. If dominance is a requirement, he defiantly fit that bill. I'd love to see his name called, but not sure he has the support.
  • Richard Dent - A key member of those dominant Bears defenses. Had 137.5 career sacks. He's right there on the bubble.
  • Claude Humphrey - 122 sacks and brought back to the ballot by the senior committee. Chances are increased due to this; but years spent in mediocrity keeps his profile and chances below players like Dent and Thomas.
  • Randall McDaniel - One of the most dominant guards of his era who played in a record 12 straight Pro Bowls. This is his 3rd time on the ballot. I think it's a given he'll get in at some point, the question is simply when? In my opinion, he should already be there.
  • Paul Tagliabue - Led the NFL through record growth. Tags will get in down the line, but I think it will wait till his legacy is further past than it is now.
  • John Randle - A disruptive DT who recorded 137.5 sacks. Great player, not sure it he's a HOF player though. His chances are slim this year.
  • Cortez Kennedy - 8 time pro bowler who has gotten some support, but it's not going to happen this year and not sure if it ever will.
  • Dermontti Dawson - Great center who started the trend of the athlethis center. Position holds him back some, for me, he played at a HOF level though.
  • Russ Grimm - played both guard and center and was a member of "The Hogs". A dominant player on a dominant line. Will it be enough? I don't see it happening anytime soon.
  • Ralph Wilson - Extremely respect owner who was the founder of the Bills and was instrumental in the AFL/NFL merger. Not enough support, but definatly a very influential and respected man in the history of the league.
  • Bob Kuechenberg- Played both guard and tackle and was a key part of the Dolphins undefeated season. Don Shula has been lobbing hard to get him in the hall, but his support is not enough, he's not making it in anytime soon, if ever.
  • Andre Reed - Another long shot, but someone I feel should get more consideration that he does. At the time of his retirement his 951 receptions was 3rd all time and he was a key part of the Bills teams who made 4 straight SB's. He was one of the best of his generation of receviors and I'd love to see him get in some day.

OK, so there is there are the canidates, who should and will get the call this afternoon?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
between 4 and 7 will get in, here is who would get my vote:

• Rod Woodson
  • Bruce Smith
  • Cris Carter
  • Shannon Sharpe
  • Derrick Thomas
  • Randall McDaniel
  • Andre Reed (but I know it's not going to happen)

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
  • Rod Woodson
  • Bruce Smith
  • Randall McDaniel
  • Dermontti Dawson
  • Ralph Wilson

Just my opinion. Your write-ups were great, and pretty well reflect my thoughts. Sharpe will get there soon, but not this soon.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I don't disagree on Sharpe, though I hope were wrong. Sharpe changed the position of TE IMO, when I think HOF TE's, I can't imagine not thinking Sharpe.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Chris Carter gets the snub again!!! WTF!!!???!!!??? Seriously, I don't understand this at all.....

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Well I was close.

The Denver sports radio was up in arms about Sharpe's snubbing. He had the rings, the stats, Terrel Davis rushed for huge yardage with him contributing to the blocking. He basically revolutionized the position. All they could figure was the politics and east coast bias not giving the Broncos franchise any semblance of respect.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I just found out Ray Guy is not in the Hall of Fame.

Am I the only one here that thinks that this is a travesty? How can you even call this football if you're going to alienate one of the best set of feet to play the game.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Yeah Sharpe not getting in is pretty much garbage. The voting authorities should have been offered this word problem:

Question 1: Do you see Tony Gonzalez as a first ballot HOF? If yes then proceed to the next question. If no please turn in your sports journalist card and bash yourself in the face with a brick.

Question 2: If Tony Gonzalez is a consensus first ballot HOF then would it not make imperative sense that the man whose record he broke be inducted into the HOF?

Sharpe wasn't that big of an ass to overlook him for this year. Too Tall Jones was an ass and made it in on his performance on the field. Sharpe's activity off the field doesn't get noticed nearly enough and I think he got hosed. And I'm not a Donko fan nor am I a Ratbird fan.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
still stunned and absolutely pissed that cris carter is not going into the hall of fame.

im obviously at least a little biased, but cris carter to me is the best human (not jerry rice) wide receiver in nfl history. his numbers back that up, and he made a difference in just about every game he played in. this little "he was sort of a jerk and we're making him pay for it by waiting a few years" thing is copmletely ridiculous. that makes the hall of fame a total joke to me.

DearbornDolfan

• Bob Kuechenberg- Played both guard and tackle and was a key part of the Dolphins undefeated season. Don Shula has been lobbing hard to get him in the hall, but his support is not enough, he's not making it in anytime soon, if ever.

It's not a matter of "not enough support", it's a matter of most of the writers being openly and militantly hostile to putting another player from the '72 Dolphins in the Hall, even if they deserve it. Jake Scott, probably one of the best safeties of all time and most certainly deserving of being in the Hall, never even makes it as far as Kooch in voting.

It's repulsive and further proof that writers should be kept at arm's length where anything involving NFL decisions is concerned.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
:biglaugh: WOW, that's kinda funny DD, so now there is a grand conspiracy to keep the 72' dolphins out of the hall!!

DearbornDolfan

:biglaugh: WOW, that's kinda funny DD, so now there is a grand conspiracy to keep the 72' dolphins out of the hall!!

It's not like I'm making this up. When voters are asked why Kooch hasn't been inducted yet, the answer is invariably that there are too many players from the '72 Fins in already.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
so you've seen every voter polled on this right? Would love to see that.....more like your getting one persons biased opinion....there's no conspiracy over keeping a 72' dolphin out of the hall.....take the tin foil hat off, here's no aliens with brain sucking ability either ;)

DearbornDolfan

so you've seen every voter polled on this right? Would love to see that.....more like your getting one persons biased opinion....there's no conspiracy over keeping a 72' dolphin out of the hall.....take the tin foil hat off, here's no aliens with brain sucking ability either ;)

Kooch does have supporters, but the reason the vast majority of those that don't vote him give their reason as, "other players deserve a chance." I'm sorry, but not only is that a tacit acknowledgment of miscarriage of justice, but it's a poorly veiled way of saying they don't want the Hall overloaded with Fins players.