1st 2010 NFL Mock Discussion Thread

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Sarge, after this round is finished remind me to ask you something about your Zac Robinson to Buffalo pick. It involves a different QB that's available that I like WAY better than Robinson so if he comes off the board I'll address it then.

bobbeaux

the titans fill their 2nd greatest need w/ cb kareem jackson, alabama to pair up with finnegan . . . with the decline in the titans pass rush, the aging nick harper's declining skills were also exposed . . . without a 2nd rnd pick, the titans work on both areas with their 1st & 3rd picks . . . ;)

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
What would suprise me is if you thought it sucked! :grin:
OH, I don't know. I am really not that prepared this year. Just not into it as much as past years. I am basically using this to start ramping up for our Hired Guns rookie draft.

So yeah...I would be open had it been bad.

As for Cleveland...I will be honest...I am experimenting. The HC is a defensive mind. The new President and new GM are more Offensive minded. Looking at a team like Cleveland...that has so many holes....I targeted the offense as the key issue. The fact I got great value is just a benefit.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Har. Har. The only reason I mention it is that Jake Long is 6-7 and 315-320 and he is by no means fat. How's his footwork?

------
Overview

Recognized as on the best linemen in Division II - named 1st Team AFCA All-American, 1st Team AP Little All-American and Gene Upshaw finalist. Great student (3.0 GPA Bio) and recognized team leader in the weight room and on the field - his efforts led to Hillsdale's first-ever play-off appearance and first play-off win in 2009. Declined Valero Cactus Bowl invitation to play in Texas vs. The Nation bowl game where he wowed scouts during the week and whom some called 'the best offensive lineman there.'
Strengths

Dominating size and athletic ability at left tackle. 10.125 inch hands and huge frame reminiscent of Jonathan Ogden. Plays to the whistle. Good footwork and blocking mechanics allow him to get to the defender quickly. Frame will allow him to get even bigger. Self-report of 4.87 and 4.94 40 times (summer, '09). Demonstrates good flexibility for such a large body.
Weaknesses

Upright pass-blocker who will need to improve as he faces elite competition. Has been able to dominate on strength alone in D-2; may need some time to adjust to next-level defender's speed.
Projection

Some scouts have listed Veldheer as high as the top 3 tackles in the draft. If he performs at the combine as well as he did at his bowl game, he could very well go as high as the 3rd round.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Just for contextual purposes, D-2 is one more step below FCS / 1-AA. Not that I don't like this guy because I was gonna pick him with my next choice (bastard), but in the interest of full disclosure, his leap in competition level will be much more significant than, say a Joe Flacco (Delaware) or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Tenn. St.).
And yes, I fully realize Abilene Christian is also D-2. LOL

efactor

Coming at you
Adding another big body to the SF O-Line. I know Ducasse didn't have a very good senior bowl, but think he will be an excellent OG in the NFL. Another mauler to push Rachel and Baas and give them depth or to take over if Baas moves to center at some point. If SF can grab both Buloga and Ducasse, it would do wonders for their offense.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I was looking at him hard in the mid-2nd but couldn't pass on Kyle Wilson thinking Vlad might realistically be there in the 3rd. I was almost right!

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I was looking at him hard in the mid-2nd but couldn't pass on Kyle Wilson thinking Vlad might realistically be there in the 3rd. I was almost right!
Vlad was #2 on my list for the Bears this round, if LaFell was not there he was going to be the pick.

bobbeaux

the texans running game took a step backwards this past season especially in short yardage . . . with slaton coming back from injury and arian foster providing a solid backup in the speed role, rb toby gerhart should provide the power game the texans have lacked . . . ;)

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Wonderful value pick, Bobs. Perfect fit for that backfield, unless they feel Foster is the answer. (He looked good at the end of the season).

One of my needs was a fresh, athletic face at LB to groom behind Farrior this year, and start in 2011. I've always liked Timmons so I got his clone and fellow FSU alumnus D. Watson, who I like lining up at any of my LB spots with his athleticism and sideline-to-sideline speed. He and Timmons are both equally adept at pass/run defense, and can rush the QB if need be from the middle spot.

Remote Controller

Learn from Gonzo. Size and Athleticism to burn.

Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Miami tight end Jimmy Graham had a phenomenal practice Tuesday, looking extremely fluid as a runner and catching everything in sight. The former Hurricane basketball player left safeties and linebackers without a clue on where or when his cut would come; the out routes and square-ins were equally crisp and strong. That sort of route-running ability for a one-year contributor, and at 6-7, 258 pounds, is rare. Watch for his name to climb up boards all the way to the draft. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Here's some information on Wootton from nfldraftscout:

Before Wootton fell to a torn right ACL late in the Wildcats' loss to Missouri in the 2008 Alamo Bowl, he was giving thought to entering the draft early as a probable top 40 pick last year. After he fell to the turf while chasing Tigers QB Chase Daniel, it wasn't clear whether he'd even be ready to play in '09.
Over the course of his senior season, he improved enough each week to get back into the conversation as a potential first-round pick. An honorable mention All-Big Ten pick, Wootton finished with 21 tackles, six for loss, and four sacks.
Wootton's success had been derailed once before. He started two games as a true freshman in 2005 before a neck injury forced him to redshirt. The following year, he made a strong comeback bid, making Freshman All-American and honorable mention All-Big Ten squads with 51 tackles, nine for loss and 4.5 sacks as a full-time starter. After a down year in 2007 statistically (39 tackles, seven for loss, one sack), Wootton burst on the national scene in 2008 with a first-team All-Big Ten and team MVP performance (16 tackles for loss, 10 sacks).
NFL defensive coordinators covet edge players with Wootton's length and speed because of the difficulties they present against the pass and run. Both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses could use his skills, which means several teams will consider taking him in the first round.

Intriguing prospect that can give the Bengals much need depth and skill on the DL.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Good grab Miller. I don't know that I've seen him worse than mid-2nd round in any mock that I know of. Very consistently in the early-mid 2nd, and I've seen him going to the Saints and/or Colts at the end of the 1st in a couple. Excellent value.