NFL - Quarterback review - mid 2020 season - already preparing for draft?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
NFL - could see updated TV deals in the next two weeks - getting things re-assessed due to 17 game schedule and such.
NFLPA - supposedly trying to use the cap as a bargaining chip - trying to get league to keep it as high as possible
PIT - officially move C Maurkice Pouncy to retired list
CHI - release Cb Buster Skrine - $2 million cap savings
HOU - officially released Qb Josh McCown - and can now be hired to the coaching staff - he supposedly interviewed for the HC position.
TEN - resign Cb Breon Borders

Phicinfan

Administrator
This would have been combine week, lets re-update what we have heard....

AFC:
East:
Bills
- No - Josh Allen
Patriots - YES - Who will be starter here? At 15 do they finally draft a guy?
Jets - Maybe - New HC, GM not tied to Darnold. Do you trade pick for more picks? Draft new Qb and trade Darnold? Build around Darnold?
Dolphins - No - I think they keep Tua, and build offense around him.
North:
Steelers
- YES - Working on new deal to keep Ben this year, but in the end they have to get ready for after Ben.
Ravens - No - Lamar Jackson
Browns - No - Baker Mayfield
Bengals - No - Joe Burrow
South:
Titans
- No - Ryan Tannehill
Colts - Maybe - Traded for Carson Wentz, but do they look at Qb if Wentz falls down?
Texans - YES - Here is the issue. Houston wants to hang tough. But reports say Watson won't play. So they HAVE to get some other Qb in there.
Jaguars - YES - Welcome to the NFL Trevor Lawrence
West:
Chiefs
- No - Patrick Mahomes
Raiders - No - Derek Carr and they don't have to make move. But that doesn't mean they won't.
Broncos - Maybe - Drew Lock - reports out that they may try to sign a vet to help develop, push Lock - Fitzpatrick?
Chargers - No - Justin Herbert

NFC:
East:
Football Team
- YES - Haskins and Smith are gone(by report). Leaves Allen and Heinicke. Not NFL starter status.
Giants - No - prove it year for Daniel Jones
Eagles - No - Jalen Hurts - but don't be shocked if they grab a Qb in draft, or pick up a vet for depth
Cowboys - No - Dak Prescott - FT or contract - they are stuck. What a stupid move not signing him earlier.
North:
Packers
- No - Aaron Rodgers
Bears - YES - Nick Foles - for now. But look for draft, FA or trade here.
Vikings - No - Kirk Cousins
Lions - No - Jarod Goff - they need tools for him to use, not drafting another younger Qb
South:
Saints
- YES - Brees is gone, Have Taysom Hill, but keep hearing they may re-sign Jameis Winston
Buccaneers - No - Tom Brady
Falcons - No - Matt Ryan
Panthers - Maybe - Teddy Bridgewater. But they were all in for Stafford, and working to get Watson. SF is talking to Carolina for Bridgewater
West:
Seahawks
- No - Russell Wilson - this year. But don't be shocked if he is gone next year.
Rams - No - Matthew Stafford
Cardinals - No - Kyler Murray
49ers - Maybe? - Jimmy Garoppolo - but reports keep coming up they are looking at Watson, Bridgewater and tried to get Stafford.

FA Qbs are : Dak Prescott(until Dallas moves), Jameis Winston(until N.O. signs him), Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Newton and others
Qbs in draft
Trevor Lawrence Clemson - Jaguars
Zach Wilson BYU
Justin Fields Ohio State
Trey Lance North Dakota State
Mac Jones Alabama
Kyle Trask Florida

efactor

Coming at you
WFT - has released Qb Alex Smith
Assuming SF doesn’t draft a QB in the first round, wouldn’t mind seeing Alex as the back up in SF. They need a solid vet in case Jimmy gets hurt again.

Price would have to be right of course so it probably won’t happen.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Rumor locally is that it was more of an inquiry to gauge if Carolina was looking at drafting a QB In the 1st.

Not a real interest obviously
stories I have seen said they talked trade, that doesn't sound like trying to feel out if they would draft a Qb. That being said, its not like Carolina hasn't made it clear they are looking at moving on in some way.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Steelers have signed Ben Roethlisberger to a new contract for 2021 - no details released yet

Phicinfan

Administrator
Steelers have signed Ben Roethlisberger to a new contract for 2021 - no details released yet
they kicked the can down the street.
So he will cost $14 million. Salary is $1.075 million rest in signing bonus. They added voidable years to push the cap hit down. Saves Pittsburgh $15 million in this years cap

Phicinfan

Administrator
Reports are now flying...
SF - per reports NE really wants Garoppolo back, and he is their first choice. Other reports also state even if not traded, there is better than not chance he gets cut by SF. Looks like SF wants to make some kind of Qb move.

Phicinfan

Administrator
MIA - reports from some say Ryan Fitzpatrick could retire

efactor

Coming at you
Reports are now flying...
SF - per reports NE really wants Garoppolo back, and he is their first choice. Other reports also state even if not traded, there is better than not chance he gets cut by SF. Looks like SF wants to make some kind of Qb move.
It seems to change daily. Lynch came out and said Jimmy is definitely their QB, but of course, that's until they have a better option. I wouldn't be shocked if they trade Jimmy to NE and try to trade for Darnold, assuming the price isn't too high. He has kind of sucked so far, but similar to Tannehill, he has had to deal with Gase and a pretty horrible group of receivers in a bad offensive system. But he obviously has talent and would open the field up for the Shanahan offense

Would free up around 15 million in cap space as well. I think Jimmy is only about 2 million in dead money

Will be interesting to watch anyway

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
It seems to change daily. Lynch came out and said Jimmy is definitely their QB, but of course, that's until they have a better option. I wouldn't be shocked if they trade Jimmy to NE and try to trade for Darnold, assuming the price isn't too high. He has kind of sucked so far, but similar to Tannehill, he has had to deal with Gase and a pretty horrible group of receivers in a bad offensive system. But he obviously has talent and would open the field up for the Shanahan offense

Would free up around 15 million in cap space as well. I think Jimmy is only about 2 million is dead money

Will be interesting to watch anyway
There is so much spin out there it’s silly. I did hear reports though SF and Carolina were talking deal on Bridgewater but Carolina pulled out since they may need him if they can’t get who they want....

I won’t be shocked to see some deals post draft

efactor

Coming at you
There is so much spin out there it’s silly. I did hear reports though SF and Carolina were talking deal on Bridgewater but Carolina pulled out since they may need him if they can’t get who they want....

I won’t be shocked to see some deals post draft

The Bridgewater rumor never made any sense to me. He's not the answer to anybody's QB situation, other than a stop gap QB. Why would they give up draft capital and then pay him 17 million? Lynch seems to always be "looking into things". Maybe he will "circle back" to Carolina in a bit. The Jen Psaki of general managers.

I like Lynch and think he does some GM things well. Their drafts have been pretty underwhelming overall so far though. I do like the Kinlaw/Aiyuk picks last year, but 2017 was a disaster (except for Kittle in the 5th and DJ Jones in the 6th). 2018 was bad except for Warner in the 3rd (McGlinchey has been serviceable but certainly not worthy of 9th overall pick). 2019 was good with Bosa (no brainer), Deebo and then Greenlaw in the 5th, but they could have had Gardner-Johnson in the 4th too but instead traded down a couple picks and took a friggin punter. I was so happy when Gardner/Johnson was sitting there for them and then that clusterfock. So he is getting better, but still hurts that they could have had Mahomes or Watson and instead picked Solomon Thomas in 2017 too. Hindsight is great, but I hated the Thomas pick, so I feel I can be bitter.

efactor

Coming at you
Dak gets 160 large over 4 years

I assume this means he is recovering well. Well, I assume Dallas checked that before they signed him for this amount anyway

Phicinfan

Administrator
Dak gets 160 large over 4 years

I assume this means he is recovering well. Well, I assume Dallas checked that before they signed him for this amount anyway
First it’s Dallas don’t assume.
Great for Dak, I don’t feel he should be the top payed Qb, but he held to his guns.

I am trying oh so hard not to laugh, but......
Bwahahahahahahaha 😂😂🤣🤣

Phicinfan

Administrator
First it’s Dallas don’t assume.
Great for Dak, I don’t feel he should be the top payed Qb, but he held to his guns.

I am trying oh so hard not to laugh, but......
Bwahahahahahahaha 😂😂🤣🤣
Oh God, this gets better and better....
No trade clause, No Tag clause
4 year $160 million total package - $126 million guaranteed.
Contract salary averages $42 million a year in the first three years
$75 million in the first year(hell of a signing bonus...) and $66 million overall signing bonus.

o_O😁🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣