Is Houston shopping for Rb depth?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I asked the question in the news thread and then decided to do some further investigation. In doing so I don't see any "talk" from Houston, but I do see some interesting ideas to consider:

1) Houston and Buffalo - Houston needs OT help and Rb help - Buffalo needs DE pass rushing help. A deal of Gore or McCoy and one of their OTs to Houston for Clowney and a pick could be a way to go. Houston evidently isn't wanting to pay Clowney what he wants, and need short term help which McCoy is in last year and Gore on a 1 year deal.

2) Baltimore - Kenneth Dixon or Gus Edwards maybe could be had.

3) My supposition - Philadelphia - they have OT depth like no other, some of it raw but still considering their first round draft pick is back up, they have the depth. They also have Rb depth - they traded for Howard, drafted Sanders and still have Clement and Sproles and Adams and more. A trade here could really happen IMO.

FA - I missed this, they signed Jay Ajayi over the weekend per one report - which might help them enough

4) LA Chargers - Gordon is sitting there and won't come in without a deal. Houston could really use a back of his quality. Not sure LAC wants to deal Gordon though

thoughts?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Update with thought - just looked and don't see the Ajayi signing anywhere....hmmmmm

Also if Washington gets serious and is solid with Guice, could they package AP and Trent Williams OT for some draft capital or Clowney??? That would really fit well

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
Update with thought - just looked and don't see the Ajayi signing anywhere....hmmmmm

Also if Washington gets serious and is solid with Guice, could they package AP and Trent Williams OT for some draft capital or Clowney??? That would really fit well
Ajayi signing news was "broken" by Michaels on the SNF broadcast. Beat writer John McClain of the Houston Chronicle instantly shot it down.

ExperiencedRookie

This is brilliant.

Far too smart for Dan Snyder

Phicinfan

Administrator
Can you imagine if Philly sent Howard to Houston??

Sanders would be in line for 250+ touches behind a top 5 offensive line.
Okay just want to throw this out there. You will never get a dominate running back out of Philly. They INSIST on a Rb triumverate. Sanders would definately gain by loss of Howard, but he won't be worth what folks are drafting him at.

Philly is Denver under Shannahan......

ExperiencedRookie

Okay just want to throw this out there. You will never get a dominate running back out of Philly. They INSIST on a Rb triumverate. Sanders would definately gain by loss of Howard, but he won't be worth what folks are drafting him at.

Philly is Denver under Shannahan......
I know. It certainly feels that way.

I want to believe though. I keep telling myself that the reason Doug has never had a 250+ touch RB is because he hasn’t had a RB worthy of that type of load.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I know. It certainly feels that way.

I want to believe though. I keep telling myself that the reason Doug has never had a 250+ touch RB is because he hasn’t had a RB worthy of that type of load.
Okay wanted to address a key point here...
First Philly has an incredible team in the front office, they are experts at cap handling and planning for the future. Show me another team, other than say NE, who is so adept, they drafted an OT to replaced their current LOT and will let him just sit on the bench. They just know how to work the system.

That being said, I love the move they made to get Howard, he is a solid down hill runner who can do what they need, eat yards and time to keep defense off the field and protect Wentz. They love Sanders, but Sanders isn't going to be THE guy, not this year. No, they will use all of their Rbs, and keep Sanders fresh while Howard gets used up. Plan for the future. The move for Sproles IMO was to use him on returns as well as passing downs to protect the young Rb more. But make no mistake, Philly KNOWS you have to run, and you can't rely soley on ONE rb. They won't ever do it.

ExperiencedRookie

Okay wanted to address a key point here...
First Philly has an incredible team in the front office, they are experts at cap handling and planning for the future. Show me another team, other than say NE, who is so adept, they drafted an OT to replaced their current LOT and will let him just sit on the bench. They just know how to work the system.

That being said, I love the move they made to get Howard, he is a solid down hill runner who can do what they need, eat yards and time to keep defense off the field and protect Wentz. They love Sanders, but Sanders isn't going to be THE guy, not this year. No, they will use all of their Rbs, and keep Sanders fresh while Howard gets used up. Plan for the future. The move for Sproles IMO was to use him on returns as well as passing downs to protect the young Rb more. But make no mistake, Philly KNOWS you have to run, and you can't rely soley on ONE rb. They won't ever do it.
I know you’re right, but I can’t help but argue.

What happens when Doug drafts a RB who turns out to be elite though? Imagine if the Eagles had DJ right now. Would they seriously limit him to 130 touches??

If Howard is averaging 4.1 YPC and DJ is averaging 4.9. Howard is unable to catch the ball or devour space. DJ does it all. Is Doug really going to die on that RBBC hill?

Phicinfan

Administrator
I know you’re right, but I can’t help but argue.

What happens when Doug drafts a RB who turns out to be elite though? Imagine if the Eagles had DJ right now. Would they seriously limit him to 130 touches??

If Howard is averaging 4.1 YPC and DJ is averaging 4.9. Howard is unable to catch the ball or devour space. DJ does it all. Is Doug really going to die on that RBBC hill?
Yes they would - Why? They believe in extending the players ability. Why would they spend an early draft pick AND trade for Howard? Why? Cause Sproles is done soon, Adams is one dimensional, Clement is coming back from knee issue and rookie deal is almost done. That is how they think.

I will add, Howard is no slouch. Sanders looks studly, and they will still add once Howard leaves. That is how they operate. They don't feel you should pile the hole load on one rb and break him down