2019 Qb situation in the NFL and who needs a Qb

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Did this last year as part of prep for the draft, but with limited Qb options available in FA, thought it would be good to go back again and look and see who might be drafting Qbs.

AFC - East:
N. Y. Jets
- Sam Darnold - Drafted last year, and did fairly well with major lack of receiving help.
Buffalo - Josh Allen - Drafted last year, and team likes what they see by all report - again needs Wr help
Miami - Ryan Tannehill - 2 years left on his extension may make him too pricey to cut - but rumors are team may want to wait until 2020 when the Qb draft class is much, much better. Either way Tannehill isn't the answer in Miami long term.
New England - Tom Brady is set...or is he, some still think he might retire if they win the Super Bowl this year, and if they do, this team is screwed as they are not ready for after Tom. Drafting a Qb this year or next will be crucial.

AFC - North:
Cincinnati
- Andy Dalton - he has been solid, but not spectacular, and many feel he will never get them over the playoff hump. He has two years left on his contract and he is pretty pricey, but I don't see Cincinnati moving away from him yet. They may draft for future, but not early.
Baltimore - Lamar Jackson - he was broken out for play post Joe Flacco's injury - and ran with it.... literally. He seems to be set to start next year.
Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger - had a great year, 2019 is last year of current contract, but Pittsburgh has said they want to extend him. Can they afford to? No idea. But they drafted past two years for back ups and long term replacement...not sure if they see it that way. But for this year Ben is it.
Cleveland - Baker Mayfield - kid filled in greatly, and the team improved. He seems to be the long term answer here.

AFC - South:
Indianapolis
- Andrew Luck - is back, and they will ride him to success.
Tennessee - Marcus Mariota - Last year of his rookie deal - actually the option year with a $20 million cap hit - has he proven he is it? Or do they look elsewhere?
Houston - Deshaun Watson - came back strong in second half of season, showing he was back to full go after rehabbing his knee injury.
Jacksonville - Blake Bortles - they signed him to an extension last year, and probably greatly regret it as he regressed majorly this year. He has a cap hit of $21 million this year, but is only $5 million dead space if cut post 2019. So do they bring in a replacement?

AFC - West:
Kansas City
- Patrick Mahomes - drafted him two years ago, he is the man in KC
Los Angeles Chargers - Philip Rivers - He is the man for as long as he plays, but similar to Brady, how much longer can he last? This is the last year of his current deal as well.
Denver - Case Keenum - signed a 2 year deal, is a $21 million cap hit this year, but would leave a $10 million in dead money if let go. Still they need a long term solution here.
Las Vegas/Oakland/LA/..... - Derek Carr - He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either, learning a whole new offensive system and losing his top WR in trade with Dallas. All in all, its a matter of if Chucky wants to keep him or not. Signed a new deal 2 years ago, and is not a huge hit to walk away from. Dead money on cap would be $7.5 million.

NFC - East:
Dallas
- Dak Prescott - looks to have solidified his role.
Philadelphia - Carson Wentz - in his 2nd year he had more injury issues, and rumors flying some team members prefer Nick Foles - but Carson is the man in Philly.
Washington - Alex Smith - this is a situation to watch, he had the horrible break, and then rumors flew he had infection issues as well, some question whether he can play again or not. He signed a 5 year extension when the Redskins got him, so unless he retires, they can't spend too much on Qb.
N.Y. Giants - Eli Manning - Was pretty bad this year, but not terrible - but he is on last year of deal. Dead money if cut would be $6.2 million. They need Qb of the future here.

NFC - North:
Chicago
- Mitch Trubisky - 2nd year Qb played pretty well
Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers - he is the man, and got HC fired
Minnesota - Kirk Cousins - signed big FA deal last year, will be the man again this year
Detroit - Matt Stafford - signed through 2022 - is not the biggest issue with this team - need better OL to keep him upright.

NFC - South:
New Orleans
- Drew Brees - he is the man again next year - Contract expires end of the 2019 year, AND..... rumors are flying Sean Payton may be the target of Dallas this year....... Time to draft new Qb?
Carolina - Cam Newton - he will be the man, IF he can play - but some wonder if his shoulder is not another Andrew Luck issue. Time will tell.
Atlanta - Matt Ryan - he is the dude here
Tampa Bay - Jameis Winston - Option year for Winston with a $20 million price tag for the option. New HC, new OC , one wonders if Tampa will stay as is, or move on.

NFC - West:
Los Angeles Rams
- Jared Goff - is set to keep going
San Francisco - Jimmy Garoppolo - is set to come back and take over from injury
Arizona - Josh Rosen - Rookie Qb took over last year, is he the man with new HC? Or do they take the high first round pick and go Qb again?
Seattle - Russell Wilson - is still on the job, and smoking hot.

Qbs expected to be drafted:
1) Dwayne Haskins - Ohio State - one year starter
2) Kyler Murray - Oklahoma - one year starter - signed to play baseball
3) Daniel Jones - Duke - some feel he could go last first round
4) Drew Lock - Missouri - late first round, most likely round 2 or 3.

Top Qb FAs:
1) Joe Flacco - rumors are he is on the way out of Baltimore
2) Nick Foles - I don't think Philly can afford to keep him with their cap issues
3) Teddy Bridgewater - he signed a one year deal with N.O. but he might still get looked at as a starter
4) Tyrod Taylor - didn't make it work in Cleveland...not sure he isn't back up material
5) Ryan Fitzpatrick - he seems to be the solid vet back up Qb, not a starter

Others in mention - Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Josh McCown - again all back ups.

So, not a great draft for Qbs, and not alot of depth for FA - I wonder if someone makes a move to trade with Las Vegas/Oakland/LA to get Carr if they don't want to keep him?

Arctic Dawgs

cutting or trading Foles would result in a $1.8mil cap hit and they are already almost $15mil over the cap which would save them $20mil cap space (give them about $5.5 cap space) I done or designated after June 1 they would get another $1.2mil in room. They have a projected $45mil in space for 2020. He has to go. Howie has some work to do

cutting or trading Flacco would result in a $16mil cap hit and they only have $30mil in space. After June 1 would get them $8mil of that back and they have a projected $97mil in space for 2020

Phicinfan

Administrator
Lets update some, with latest news...

AFC - East:
N. Y. Jets
- Sam Darnold
Buffalo - Josh Allen
Miami
- Ryan Tannehill - Moving this to RED as I keep hearing the team is planning to walk away from Tannehill this year. Will need FA or Drafted Qb or both.
New England - Tom Brady - keeping this ORANGE as I think he plays at least this year, but they need to target the future

AFC - North:
Cincinnati
- Andy Dalton
Baltimore
- Lamar Jackson
Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger - had a great year, 2019 is last year of current contract,Pittsburgh is pushing to get an extension - and he seems to have won the war vs. Antonio Brown. Moving this to GREEN
Cleveland
- Baker Mayfield

AFC - South:
Indianapolis
- Andrew Luck
Tennessee - Marcus Mariota - Last year of his rookie deal - actually the option year with a $20 million cap hit - by all reports they plan to keep him this year. Looking to add some tools for him. - moving to GREEN
Houston
- Deshaun Watson
Jacksonville - Blake Bortles - they signed him to an extension last year, and probably greatly regret it as he regressed majorly this year. He has a cap hit of $21 million this year, but is only $5 million dead space if cut post 2019. This looks like a must happen. I have seen talk of moving up in draft to draft a Qb, I have seen trade rumors with Philly for Foles or Eli from Giants - I have also seen some talk of pushing to sign Flacco or Bridgewater.

AFC - West:
Kansas City
- Patrick Mahomes
Los Angeles Chargers - Philip Rivers - He is the man for as long as he plays, but similar to Brady, how much longer can he last? This is the last year of his current deal as well. - Leaving this as ORANGE as he is in last year, and have not heard of talks of extending. Need to draft for future.
Denver - Case Keenum - signed a 2 year deal, is a $21 million cap hit this year - I think he is on short timings here. I have seen rumors of looking to replace him with a vet FA(Flacco, Foles, Bridgewater) and drafting for future.
Las Vegas/Oakland/LA/..... - Derek Carr - He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either, learning a whole new offensive system and losing his top WR in trade with Dallas. All in all, its a matter of if Chucky wants to keep him or not. Signed a new deal 2 years ago, and is not a huge hit to walk away from. Dead money on cap would be $7.5 million. - Have to think this is ORANGE now. I keep hearing they love him, but I keep hearing rumors of dealing him to Qb hungry team and drafting Qb. OR going different direction. I honestly don't know what to think here.

NFC - East:
Dallas
- Dak Prescott
Philadelphia
- Carson Wentz - its a given Wentz is the future, the question is do Philly tag Foles to get trade value or let him walk in FA - he has already turned down the mutual option year.
Washington - Alex Smith - Okay - some reports have team expecting him back, some have him out for year due to bone injury and infections. Not sure what to think so will keep as ORANGE for now.
N.Y. Giants - Eli Manning - Pretty much hearing they are done with Eli. Only time will tell.

NFC - North:
Chicago
- Mitch Trubisky
Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers
Minnesota - Kirk Cousins
Detroit
- Matt Stafford

NFC - South:
New Orleans
- Drew Brees - he is the man again next year - Contract expires end of the 2019 year. Big $$ amount, but doubt they walk away - do they need the next QB?
Carolina - Cam Newton - Had another shoulder surgery, that supposedly went well. So he should be good to go by most reports - moving to GREEN
Atlanta
- Matt Ryan
Tampa Bay
- Jameis Winston - Option year for Winston with a $20 million price tag for the option. By all reports I hear he will be the guy this year. - going GREEN

NFC - West:
Los Angeles Rams
- Jared Goff
San Francisco
- Jimmy Garoppolo
Arizona - Josh Rosen - Leaving as is here - by all reports new HC and GM are locked in, and Fitz will be back to play. Still, they are drafting #1.
Seattle - Russell Wilson

2) Kyler Murray - Oklahoma - one year starter - has committed to NFL - yeah lets see what happens if he gets drafted out of the first round or late first round.
3) Daniel Jones - Duke - some feel he could go last first round - has dropped some due to poor showing at Senior bowl.

Top Qb FAs:
1) Joe Flacco - rumors are he is on the way out of Baltimore
2) Nick Foles - He has rejected the option year and paid $2 million back. Team could potentially tag him, but not sure they have cap room to do so.
3) Teddy Bridgewater
4) Tyrod Taylor
5) Ryan Fitzpatrick

Others in mention - Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Josh McCown - again all back ups.

Phicinfan

Administrator
and....just like that...

AFC - East:
N. Y. Jets
- Sam Darnold
Buffalo
- Josh Allen
Miami
- Ryan Tannehill - Moving this to RED as I keep hearing the team is planning to walk away from Tannehill this year. Will need FA or Drafted Qb or both.
New England - Tom Brady - keeping this ORANGE as I think he plays at least this year, but they need to target the future

AFC - North:
Cincinnati
- Andy Dalton
Baltimore
- Lamar Jackson
Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger - had a great year, 2019 is last year of current contract,Pittsburgh is pushing to get an extension - and he seems to have won the war vs. Antonio Brown. Moving this to GREEN
Cleveland
- Baker Mayfield

AFC - South:
Indianapolis
- Andrew Luck
Tennessee - Marcus Mariota - Last year of his rookie deal - actually the option year with a $20 million cap hit - by all reports they plan to keep him this year. Looking to add some tools for him. - moving to GREEN
Houston
- Deshaun Watson
Jacksonville
- Blake Bortles - they signed him to an extension last year, and probably greatly regret it as he regressed majorly this year. He has a cap hit of $21 million this year, but is only $5 million dead space if cut post 2019. This looks like a must happen. I have seen talk of moving up in draft to draft a Qb, I have seen trade rumors with Philly for Foles or Eli from Giants - I have also seen some talk of pushing to sign Flacco or Bridgewater.

AFC - West:
Kansas City
- Patrick Mahomes
Los Angeles Chargers
- Philip Rivers - He is the man for as long as he plays, but similar to Brady, how much longer can he last? This is the last year of his current deal as well. - Leaving this as ORANGE as he is in last year, and have not heard of talks of extending. Need to draft for future.
Denver - Case Keenum - Per reports Denver has agreed to a trade with Baltimore for Flacco( mid round pick per rumors). Assuming this goes down, they will be better off than with Keenum.
Las Vegas/Oakland/LA/..... - Derek Carr - He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either, learning a whole new offensive system and losing his top WR in trade with Dallas. All in all, its a matter of if Chucky wants to keep him or not. Signed a new deal 2 years ago, and is not a huge hit to walk away from. Dead money on cap would be $7.5 million. - Have to think this is ORANGE now. I keep hearing they love him, but I keep hearing rumors of dealing him to Qb hungry team and drafting Qb. OR going different direction. I honestly don't know what to think here.

NFC - East:
Dallas
- Dak Prescott
Philadelphia
- Carson Wentz - its a given Wentz is the future, the question is do Philly tag Foles to get trade value or let him walk in FA - he has already turned down the mutual option year.
Washington - Alex Smith - Okay - some reports have team expecting him back, some have him out for year due to bone injury and infections. Not sure what to think so will keep as ORANGE for now.
N.Y. Giants - Eli Manning - Pretty much hearing they are done with Eli. Only time will tell.

NFC - North:
Chicago
- Mitch Trubisky
Green Bay
- Aaron Rodgers
Minnesota
- Kirk Cousins
Detroit
- Matt Stafford

NFC - South:
New Orleans
- Drew Brees - he is the man again next year - Contract expires end of the 2019 year. Big $$ amount, but doubt they walk away - do they need the next QB?
Carolina - Cam Newton - Had another shoulder surgery, that supposedly went well. So he should be good to go by most reports - moving to GREEN
Atlanta
- Matt Ryan
Tampa Bay
- Jameis Winston - Option year for Winston with a $20 million price tag for the option. By all reports I hear he will be the guy this year. - going GREEN

NFC - West:
Los Angeles Rams
- Jared Goff
San Francisco
- Jimmy Garoppolo
Arizona - Josh Rosen - Leaving as is here - by all reports new HC and GM are locked in, and Fitz will be back to play. Still, they are drafting #1.
Seattle - Russell Wilson

2) Kyler Murray - Oklahoma - one year starter - has committed to NFL - yeah lets see what happens if he gets drafted out of the first round or late first round.
3) Daniel Jones - Duke - some feel he could go last first round - has dropped some due to poor showing at Senior bowl.

Top Qb FAs:
1) Nick Foles - He has rejected the option year and paid $2 million back. Team could potentially tag him, but not sure they have cap room to do so.
2) Teddy Bridgewater
3) Case Keenum - assuming Denver lets him go post Flacco trade
4) Tyrod Taylor
5) Ryan Fitzpatrick

Others in mention - Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Josh McCown - again all back ups.[/QUOTE]

Phicinfan

Administrator
Latest discussion - who goes for whom in draft and FA?

AFC - East:
N. Y. Jets
- Sam Darnold
Buffalo
- Josh Allen
Miami
New England - Tom Brady - Brady is the man

AFC - North:
Cincinnati
- Andy Dalton
Baltimore
- Lamar Jackson
Cleveland
- Baker Mayfield

AFC - South:
Indianapolis
- Andrew Luck
Houston
- Deshaun Watson
Jacksonville
- Blake Bortles - they resigned him last year, but by all reports they want to move on

AFC - West:
Kansas City
- Patrick Mahomes
Los Angeles Chargers
- Philip Rivers - He is the man but may look at future
Denver - Joe Flacco- Trade is basically set but not official
Las Vegas/Oakland/LA/..... - Derek Carr - He is the

NFC - East:
Dallas
- Dak Prescott
Philadelphia
Washington - Alex Smith - They have McCoy as back up, but how long before A. Smith will take to be ready .... if ever.
N.Y. Giants - Eli Manning - Leaving Red as they seem to be wanting to follow KC model of vet playing until rookie or new Qb ready.

NFC - North:
Chicago
- Mitch Trubisky
Green Bay
- Aaron Rodgers
Minnesota
- Kirk Cousins
Detroit
- Matt Stafford

NFC - South:
New Orleans
Atlanta
- Matt Ryan
Tampa Bay

NFC - West:
Los Angeles Rams
- Jared Goff
San Francisco
- Jimmy Garoppolo
Arizona - Josh Rosen - Leaving him here, but I keep hearing they may draft a Qb
Seattle - Russell Wilson

Top Qb FAs:
1) Nick Foles - He has rejected the option year and paid $2 million back. Team could potentially tag him, but not sure they have cap room to do so.
2) Teddy Bridgewater
4) Tyrod Taylor
5) Ryan Fitzpatrick

So looking at this I see 5 teams that really need to make a move.

OF those 5 :
Giants and potentially Arizona can draft one, otherwise I think you have to lean into the veteren market.

So here is my assessment.

Arizona - I don't care how flashy some feel Kyler Murray is, I would not touch him at #1. Just too great a reach. You either trade down, and hope who you trade with isn't looking Qb. OR you sign Foles and keep Rosen as your Qb of the future.
Miami - I think here you have to move up to draft Murray or Haskins and I would plan to move up past NYG to get Haskins. So they need to draft Haskins and either keep Tannehill as the vet cover or sign a McCown or Foles or maybe Keenum.
Jacksonville - you are in win now mode - you have to go get Foles, no other FA really is a start now. Bridgewater really has not proven he is the man. I don't think Keenum will win with them either.
Giants - I think you have committed to Eli for his last year. So you have to draft for after Eli. So you have to get Haskins. Again, I don't believe in Murray. So move up to get him.
Washington - this is totally on if you think A. Smith will come back or not. If so, you get a fit and fill - Bridgewater or Keenum or even McCown could fly here. If you think Smith is not an option, you have to go Bridgewater or Foles or draft and move up to do it.

thoughts?

Walter34

What about Bridgewater to the Giants? Frees them up to get an impact defensive guy with their pick. Eli \ Teddy combo is worth a shot.

Phicinfan

Administrator
What about Bridgewater to the Giants? Frees them up to get an impact defensive guy with their pick. Eli \ Teddy combo is worth a shot.
Well I have to ask, what has Bridgewater done other than hold a clip board? Lets be honest here, if he was all that, N.O. would scoop him up and keep him as Drew will be an FA next year I believe and they can't keep paying Brees that kind of money. Now they might still do that, but if I am the Giants, I don't think I risk going Bridgewater rather than draft my Qb of the future.

Just me though

Phicinfan

Administrator
I will add though, if they really want one of the Qbs in next years draft instead - which I have heard - Bridgewater could be that bridge if Eli doesn't make it.

Phicinfan

Administrator

Top Qb FAs:
2) Teddy Bridgewater
4) Tyrod Taylor
5) Ryan Fitzpatrick

So looking at this I see 5 teams that really need to make a move.

OF those 5 :
Giants and potentially Arizona can draft one, otherwise I think you have to lean into the veteren market.

So here is my assessment.

Arizona - I don't care how flashy some feel Kyler Murray is, I would not touch him at #1. Just too great a reach. You either trade down, and hope who you trade with isn't looking Qb. OR you sign Foles and keep Rosen as your Qb of the future.
Miami - I think here you have to move up to draft Murray or Haskins and I would plan to move up past NYG to get Haskins. So they need to draft Haskins and either keep Tannehill as the vet cover or sign a McCown or Foles or maybe Keenum.
Jacksonville - you are in win now mode - you have to go get Foles, no other FA really is a start now. Bridgewater really has not proven he is the man. I don't think Keenum will win with them either.
Giants - I think you have committed to Eli for his last year. So you have to draft for after Eli. So you have to get Haskins. Again, I don't believe in Murray. So move up to get him.
Washington - this is totally on if you think A. Smith will come back or not. If so, you get a fit and fill - Bridgewater or Keenum or even McCown could fly here. If you think Smith is not an option, you have to go Bridgewater or Foles or draft and move up to do it.

thoughts?
Okay doing some updates....
Per a ton of sources, Arizona is at least digging deep into drafting Kyler Murray. If that happens...then what?
Next Qb hungry team is NYG at #6. Miami is at 13. Does Miami really want Haskins? If so, do they trade up to get him?

My other question is Tampa Bay and Oakland.
Oakland was reported to be shopping Carr at combine, no idea if they got any offers. If this is true, they are in perfect spot to snipe Haskins. Giants would then be forced to go Lock who IMO would not be a bad option, or not go Qb and go Def instead. They are locked into Eli this year.

Tampa Bay has Winston - on his option year. Is it out of the question they may also be looking at QB and snipe Haskins of Oakland doesn't?

Key here is two things to me....
1) does Arizona go Murray if so Rosen could be an option for a Qb hungry team
2) Does Oakland really want Carr or do they draft Qb and trade Carr post the pick...- his cap hit would be hefty
3) Tampa all in on Winston?
4) Giants - at one point they were supposed more interested in next years Qbs, AND they resigned Tannay as a 3rd Qb option. Maybe they ride Eli one more year and then go for the future?
5) Miami - all reports say Tannehill is not their pick - so do they trade up to get Murray or Haskins? Are they okay with Lock?

By all reports Jags are going all in on Foles.
Washington supposedly is looking at trades for Rosen or maybe Carr.

Phicinfan

Administrator
OMG :eek:
Jacksonville signs Nick Foles for $88 million for 4 years - $50 million guaranteed!! DO THEY NOT LEARN!!!!! sigh.....

Walter34

That isn't a bad deal if they think he will be a top 12-15 starter. They don't have a lot of other talent in the passing game though. They need an upgrade there.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay lets get this ONE final tweek...

Who REALLY needs a Qb NOW and who needs one very very soon?

Teams with needs NOW-
Miami - They signed Fitzmagic, but he will not carry this team all year - they have no choice and MUST get a Qb

Who has a starter for this year but needs the future addressed?:
New England - Brady simply can't play forever, and while the need isn't dire now, they need to really start thinking about it.
Los Angeles Chargers - Rivers has been phenominal, but he also can't keep going
Washington - this one is a stumper - they have A. Smith, but some question if he will ever return, they got Case Keenum as a stop gap
Arizona - are they sold on Rosen?
Jacksonville - You are hearing it here first(IMO) Foles will bust and they will have to get a youngster to groom soon to take his place
NY Giants - Eli in last year of deal and is really starting to fade

In order of dire need I have :
Miami - NEED is NOW
NY Giants - Eli may not last the year
Arizona - Rosen may not be it
Jacksonville - I just don't buy Foles here
Washington - they can live with Case but this year or next they have to have a plan for future - depending on healthy of Smith
New England - Just think both Brady and Bellicheck are due to leave soon....
Chargers - Rivers can't keep going much longer

Please note teams I don't have here -
Oakland/Las Vegas - I think they keep Carr and with new tools let him grow
Tennessee - same here for Mariota - he still has not had real talent to work with

So who gets drafted in first round?
Murray, Haskins and Lock are a lock. Not sure who will take them, but those three will go in first round. The caveat to me is Daniel Jones. Will some team reach late in first round to trade with Rams or Patriots to snag him and get the 5th year option?