1st 2010 NFL Mock Discussion Thread

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Nice pick, bobs. He was a guy I was targetting here had I not got Thomas in the first. Glad I didn't wait!!
Pretty ecstatic to get Kyle Wilson here. None of the O-linemen that I was looking at jumped off the page at me, (Pouncey was my preliminary pick) that I wouldn't likely have available in the next round. If I can't revamp the line early, I'll breathe talent into an average at best secondary. Wilson could already be a faster, better cover man than what I have on the roster right now and he had an awesome Senior Bowl week. I think I'm getting late 1st round value here.

efactor

Coming at you
Three excellent picks with Sapp, Allen and Wilson. All three have potential to be off the board in the late first, early second. Good value that also fills team needs.

Had Best not been available, I would have grabbed Wilson for SF. Although a bit small, he seems to have great coverage skills, especially against the fast slot receivers that are wrecking havoc in the NFL., as well as being an excellent KR. With Troy P coming back healthy, the Steeler defensive backfield will be a force with those two additions, getting that defense back to being dominant.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I took the guy I personally liked out of what was left, Mardy Gilyard for Carolina.

Carolina has jack crap at WR, and not having that 1st round pick really hurts. I passed on other guys for injury or other concerns.

Gilyard had a solid Senior Bowl week and I feel he will combine himself into the lower 2nd. He projected prior to the bowl as a 3rd rounder. I like the versatility he brings to Carolina as a WR and return man, and I think he can learn alot from Steve Smith.
Fantastic pick and one of the guys who I personally would have no issue taking above McCluster. IMO he has all the positives of Dexter and is much more polished with a little more size. Mardy is explosive, and can ball! He continues to impress like he did yesterday in the Senior Bowl and he could end up sneaking in the rd 1.

bobbeaux

Nice pick, bobs. He was a guy I was targetting here had I not got Thomas in the first. Glad I didn't wait!!
Pretty ecstatic to get Kyle Wilson here. None of the O-linemen that I was looking at jumped off the page at me, (Pouncey was my preliminary pick) that I wouldn't likely have available in the next round. If I can't revamp the line early, I'll breathe talent into an average at best secondary. Wilson could already be a faster, better cover man than what I have on the roster right now and he had an awesome Senior Bowl week. I think I'm getting late 1st round value here.

I was targeting Thomas in the 1st as well, but was torn with the need at DT . . . you made my selections a lot easier . . . ;)

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
i'm not thrilled with this wr class at all . . . lots of slot & possession guys, but very few if any i would call elite . . . myself, i would shy away from mccluster because of his size, but then again his size hasn't hampered him in the senior bowl practices . . . given all of that, he is a risk, but with the various options he can bring to a team, he may be a worthwhile risk to many teams . . . ;)

This year the defensive depth is nice, but it seems like if a team wants offense they best land it in round one.

Remote Controller

Fantastic pick and one of the guys who I personally would have no issue taking above McCluster. IMO he has all the positives of Dexter and is much more polished with a little more size. Mardy is explosive, and can ball! He continues to impress like he did yesterday in the Senior Bowl and he could end up sneaking in the rd 1.
Whatever "IT" is, McCluster seems to have it. I feel he has immediate impact in the current NFL!

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
2.21 - New England Patriots - Daryl Washington, ILB, TCU
A second studly LB was in order for the Pats here. After landing a top OLB in the first round, a fresh ILB will be a nice luxury to start next to Mayo.
I'd like to point out that the Pats are stacked with draft picks (again) this year.
Pats picks to this point:
1.22 Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
2.12 Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan
2.15 Damien Williams, WR, USC
2.21 Daryl Washington, ILB, TCU

CHA-CHIINNNGGGG!!!!

MNJHNSN

A second studly LB was in order for the Pats here. After landing a top OLB in the first round, a fresh ILB will be a nice luxury to start next to Mayo.
I'd like to point out that the Pats are stacked with draft picks (again) this year.

CHA-CHIINNNGGGG!!!!

If it turns out nearly this good, We are set!!!!!

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Benn was in my top 3 when I picked at 21. To turn around and see him fall to 2.22 is fantastic. Production was not there, but this kid has talent. He was the top WR when Zook hood winked him into attending Illinois. That offense and Juice Williams did him no favors. He has the raw physical skills to be a true #1 WR in the NFL. He has a lot of work to do, but I love the potential of this pick in the 2nd round for a team who needs to add some more weapons at WR.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator

CHA-CHIINNNGGGG!!!!
That is a nice group. Only pick I question is Warren, but the rest are nice crabs. I especially like the LB combo.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I took a look at Benn for Carolina, but the WRs are so bad I took the man I felt addressed multiple needs. NE has done a fantastic job of getting young men to address the power games of Miami and New York.
Posted via Mobile Device

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
That is a nice group. Only pick I question is Warren, but the rest are nice crabs. I especially like the LB combo.
Warren is definitely not a Belichick kind of player ... very unlikely that the Pats would take him but from a fan's standpoint, it makes sense. They need a #3 WR regardless.

DearbornDolfan

Personally, I think you screwed up on the linebacker picks. Those guys aren't nearly large enough to play in a 3-4 and if they do bulk up they're not likely to keep the athleticism that makes them the players they are.

DearbornDolfan

Make all the excuses you want for Benn, I'm just going to point to Demaryius Thomas in reply. IMO, his college production exactly matches what he's going to do in the pros unless he lucks out in going to a team with an elite QB; he might have one good season, but for the most part he's going to be overhyped, overmatched, and underproducing. Here's my rankings:

1) Dez Bryant
2) Golden Tate
3) Demaryius Thomas
4)Mardy Gilyard
5) Brandon LaFell

If I went deeper than 5 I might find a place on the list for him, but he's so underwhelming as a receiver that I'm not sure.

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
Personally, I think you screwed up on the linebacker picks. Those guys aren't nearly large enough to play in a 3-4 and if they do bulk up they're not likely to keep the athleticism that makes them the players they are.
T.Bruschi - 6'1" 247
J.Mayo - 6'1" 245
R.Colvin - 6'3" 250

S.Weatherspoon - 6'1" 247
D.Washington - 6'2" 226

Weatherspoon fits the Belechick mold size wise.
With Washington, I purposely went athletic with the way the Pats like to disguise thier D and drop LB's into coverage.

DearbornDolfan

Weatherspoon weighed in at 241, not 247. And you'll note that of those three linebackers, Mayo's the only one with any recent success and that's largely because Big Mama Vince is there covering his ass. In a 3-4, the linebackers absolutely HAVE to be 255+ and for OLB the ideal is around 265, if not 270.

240 pound linebackers worked in the Giants' 3-4 heyday because the lineman were smaller, but nowadays when the linemen are regularly 320+, it's just not going to work anymore.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
OLB James Harrison - 6'0, 242
ILB James Farrior - 6'2, 243
ILB Lawrence Timmons - 6'1, 234
OLB Lamarr Woodley - 6'2, 265

So far, you're batting .250 :)

DearbornDolfan

OLB James Harrison - 6'0, 242
ILB James Farrior - 6'2, 243
ILB Lawrence Timmons - 6'1, 234
OLB Lamarr Woodley - 6'2, 265

So far, you're batting .250 :)

James Harrison - 6 year veteran
James Farrior - 13 year veteran
Lawrence Timmons - 2 year veteran
Lamarr Woodley - 2 year veteran

Note, I can guarantee those weights all date back to their combine weigh ins, because there's no way a 3-4 team is going to let its linebackers run around in the mid 230s and 240s. Miami doesn't and its D is far less aggressive; the more aggressive a D is, and thus the greater necessity of taking on linemen, the bigger and stronger 3-4 linebackers HAVE to be. Even if I did buy it, Harrison and Farrior have been around so long that when they did come into the league they fit into the Planet Theory mold, but no longer do so because NFL players are regularly getting bigger, stronger, and faster.

When Harrison and Farrior came in they were considered large for their age group, but anymore they're on the small side. Just look at every backer coming in that's considered capable of playing in a 3-4. They're in the 250+ range and just need better conditioning. Guys like Weatherspoon who have put on 20 pounds of muscle in the last year, they're at the point where their performance is going to be degraded by further mass. Which isn't to say he won't be a spectacular 4-3 backer, he will, but he's not the freakish genetic specimen that a 3-4 linebacker has to be to hit the elite level of performance on the football field.