Who should I be targeting

mills

With the NFL draft approaching and my 2009 draft in my keeper league following after that, I am looking at who I should be targeting with my 1.5, 1.6 and 2.5 picks... Who do you think will fall my way? RB and WR are the positions I'm targeting with the possibility of grabbing a QB. As of now, this is purely based on the player and the information we know now.

dukdown

Banned
A player that I'm impressed with, who to me looks to be this year's Matt Forte, is Donald Brown. Hakeem Nicks has the size and play-making ability that sure looks like he could be a star in the league.

mills

Only rookies. Assuming Crabtree will be gone with the first pick, Wells and Morano will be gone (Not sold on Wells at all) and Maclin...

Donald Brown is definitely someone I'm looking to grab, possibly Robiske? I think Robiske will be a great NFL convert. Nicks is also someone I was looking at.

Runnik's Hambones

Yeah, Crabtree, Wells, Morano and Maclin will likely be taken. Keep an eye on Nicks, and Donald Brown should fall to you. You'd be lucky to see LeSean McCoy drop as well, but that may not happen uless someone before you goes QB.

mills

Here is my roster to give you an idea on what I'm working with. Wanting to fill the open RB/WR starting spot and get more depth at RB/WR

QB Matt Ryan, Atl QB
RB Ronnie Brown, Mia RB
RB Brandon Jacobs, NYG RB
RB/WR
WR Roy E. Williams, Dal WR P
WR Wes Welker, NE WR
WR/TE Isaac Bruce, SF WR
TE Vernon Davis, SF TE
LB Eric Barton, NYJ LB
LB Gerald Hayes, Ari LB
DL Matt Roth, Mia DE
DL Ryan Denney, Buf DE
DB DeAngelo Hall, Was CB
DB Cedric Griffin, Min CB
DP Will Allen, Mia CB
DP Bernard Pollard, KC S
K John Kasay, Car K

Bench Tyler Thigpen , KC QB
Bench Todd Heap, Bal TE
Bench Kyle Orton, Chi QB
Bench Shaun McDonald, Det WR
Bench Ahmad Bradshaw, NYG RB

mills

Guy in my league who has the 1.4 spot is looking for a RB and I think I could probably trade for it... You guys think Ronnie Brown would be first round pick worthy next year? Is Ricky Williams returning?

Runnik's Hambones

Ricky is returning but Ronnie is definatly going to be the man next year for that team's running game. If I were you, I'd offer him Ronnie and your 1.6 spot. That way you get your back to back picks again, and you'll be able to lock in a better pick.

dukdown

Banned
I would almost guarantee the first four picks will be Wells, Moreno, McCoy and Crabtree. Basically it seems like you'll take which ever doesn't get selected between McCoy and D. Brown and then I'd personally be interested in taking Nicks next.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
at this point, its too early to see who will go other than those top 3, and it will all depend on draft situation most likely. some rb will end up in a great situation -- like kevin smith or matt forte this year -- and get taken much higher in rookie drafts than you could have imagined a month or two before hand.

mills

Ok so this is what someone has offered me...

Guy: 1st round pick (1.4), T.O. and a 6th round pick

Me: Ronnie Brown, Wes Welker, 2nd Round Pick (2.5) and next years 1st round

This would give me 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6... T.O. is the problem for me.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Kinda boils down to T.O. vs Ronnie Brown. In a keeper league I believe that's a no-brainer. Your WR's are already nice and You can probably get Crabtree with one of your 1st rounders. Welker's going to have Brady back so he'll likely outperform T.O. anyway.
I wouldn't want to go into my draft with only Jacobs at RB with his injury history, but that's just me.

mills

So I rejected that trade and he followed with...

Guy: 1st round pick (1.4)

Me: Ronnie Brown, 2nd Round Pick (2.5) and next years 1st round

Again, giving me 1.4, 1.5 and a 1.6 but leaving me with Jacobs and Bradshaw at RB. I can draft 2 top teir RB's with the first 2 picks and a top WR... I think I want to do this trade.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
So I rejected that trade and he followed with...

Guy: 1st round pick (1.4)

Me: Ronnie Brown, 2nd Round Pick (2.5) and next years 1st round

Again, giving me 1.4, 1.5 and a 1.6 but leaving me with Jacobs and Bradshaw at RB. I can draft 2 top teir RB's with the first 2 picks and a top WR... I think I want to do this trade.
Depends on if you want to win now or not.

There is a real good shot that one or maybe even two of the top rookie backs will go to a team that doesn't need an rb right now.

Look at Philly, most expect them to take a Rb with one of the two picks they have in teh first round.

Potentially you are fine.

I am okay with the deal....I am not that high on brown...although he clearly did show he was back last year.

Just saying...buyer beware with rbs this draft.....as most don't rate them that high.

dukdown

Banned
I'm telling you, it puts you outside the top tier. The first three picks will be Moreno, Wells, and Crabtree. You're better off holding onto Ronnie Brown, and your 2.5, and your 1st round pick next year, and just going with 1.5 and 1.6

bodey24

Staff member
I'm telling you, it puts you outside the top tier. The first three picks will be Moreno, Wells, and Crabtree. You're better off holding onto Ronnie Brown, and your 2.5, and your 1st round pick next year, and just going with 1.5 and 1.6
I agree

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Switch next year's first rounder for next year's second rounder, and I would be onboard. Maybe I'm not as familiar with the dynamics of your league, but it seems like an awful lot that you're giving up for what will probably be the 3rd or 4th best RB in the draft.