What should the NFL do about helmet to helmet and Head-hunting?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I agree Deuce these guys make millions for a reason. Don't get me wrong though, an intentional helmet to helmet shot is a horse of a different color but proving that's what it was gets mighty dicey.

Remote Controller

its hard to be able to guess where your opponent will end up after you have launched yourself in the air to try to make a hard hit to separate the ball from the receiver.
This is not going to be a popular opinion on here but NFL players choose to play the game and are compensated handsomely for it. Part of the risk that comes with the job is taking these hits. There are inches separating a legal hit from an illegal one. just sayin'
Which is why the hit on Heap was sooooo blatant. Watch it! He knew exactly what he was doing when he decided to take him out.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bthesite/vensel/2010/10/how_tough_is_todd_heap.html

totally intentionally tried to knock him out. Some times you can't help where you'll end up in the collision, but this was a Duck hunt. Heaps head was the duck.

Last edited by a moderator:

aspera1163

Im prolly in the minority of NFL viewers that think something needs to be done. The horse collar rule was a step in the right direction as far as ACLs/MCLs are concerned but the concussions are out of hand. There is no way you can convince me the NFL should go more games. The players are really getting hurt at all time high rate and adding 2-3 more games will only lower the quality of product due to injuries and backups playing. I know a lot of people talk about the millions of dollars they get paid but no cost is worth the possibility of being unable to walk or function for the rest of your life. Its not worth the money nor should we expect anyone to put that risk on the line. Im not sure what can be done but this morning on Mike and Mike it was discussed and they brought up better mouthpieces, lighter helmets, and immediate tossing no matter what.

Coachnorm

Dinger becomes dingie. Atlanta may lose Robinson for a game.

Head coach Mike Smith said Robinson suffered a concussion during Sunday's loss to the Eagles, the Falcon's Team Website reports. Robinson must now pass the concussion tests if he hopes to play Week 7. He suffered the injury when he collided with the Eagles' DeSean Jackson. Both players remained on the ground after the hit, and Robinson drew a helmet-to-helmet personal foul penalty for his actions.

Arctic Dawgs

Before you can say what the punishment should be, you have to decide what the rule should be

What the Rule Wording should be
Any direct hit on an opposing player above the numbers with any part of the head gear above the facemask of the player instituting the contact should be the foul

What the penalty should be
15 yd personal foul and automatic ejection from the game and a meeting with the commish

My Reasons for the above
The reason I said "direct hit" is to give the referees a bit of discretion on the call. We have all seen calls where a defender hits a QB in the chest and slides up and gets called for the foul. I do not wish to see the NFL turn into a touch/flag football league, but the guys who lower their heads to intentionally strike with the crown/top of the helmut need to be gone

Remote Controller

I agree with everything you posted, outside of the fact that players should already know that they shouldn't be trying to mame eachother. I hope we get immediate suspension to Barnie Fife this thing, then layout the new rules! Meriweather should be banished by his own teamates.

cctekguy

Staff member
All well and good, but who is gonna change the mindset of the fan and media?

We've honored the "Hard Hitter" throughout the history of football. There are entire documentaries dedicated to "The NFL's Hardest Hits" and they don't leave out the cheap shots.

Guys get drafted because they are hard hitters and despite our superficial disdain for cheap shots, when it's our guy doing the hitting and the other guy doing the hurting the fans still smile a wicked smile at the "toughness" of their guy.

No where in the NFL highlight reels have the courteous players been recognized. You won't find a single replay of the guy breaking his neck to miss the punter or just laying his hand on the QB as he scuttles out of bounds.

You (the fans) are 2 faced and wouldn't pay a dime to see a Movie titled: "NFL...The Greatest Gentlemen Of All Time".

We are getting what we ask for and our dollars are living proof.

aspera1163

As a kid growing up playing football, the #1 thing to do on defense was getting a "earhole shot" hitting someone in the side of the head where the earhole was while they were looking somewhere else. Then it didnt seem wrong and was FUN! Now it seems crazy that grown men teach things like that not to mention grown men who run 4.4s and are 240 jacked are doing it. There guys have been taught to hit hard and make it count and it will be hard for the NFL to change it. The penalties for celebrating are even worth it in comparison to saving a player from a possible injury.

Coachnorm

The jump from 15 yards to a full Game suspension seems a little bit of overkill to me. Sort of like changing a parking ticket from a fine to a week in jail.

How about something in between. Hockey deals with it violence using a penalty box with minutes missing from the game based on the foul and the impact is immediate. In Hockey the penalty is set in minutes because being on Offense or Defense can change every few seconds so the penalty enforced as a matter of time, In the NFL time on the field is well defined, Offense and Defense.

So maybe something similar can be done on the NFL level. Bad Hit you are off to the penalty box for the rest of the Defensive series, minimum. If the hit is real bad make it for one or two or more defensive series up to the whole rest of the game. The Officials see these hits up close and can make these decisions. Maybe throw the penalty box in as well. Have a plexiglass box on a mini bucket truck type device. Make him sit in it and lift him up a bit so everyone can see him let his team down while he is not allowed to play.

Remote Controller

Being a fan of the NFL a bit myself, there was nothing GREAT about the hit on DeSean. There was nothing good about the intent to take out Heap, by Meriweather. I was not impressed with Harrison's hit on Massaquoi. I a big NFL fan, but not a fan of this crap at all.
Suspend them, then remove them.

Arctic Dawgs

I can't see how that would work coach. In the NHL a penalized player is on the other side of the rink with no contact with the team. Also the team has to play a man short and that still didn't stop a lot of the cheap/dangerous type of plays. Are you suggesting the defence has to finish the series a man short ??

I'm not in favour of eliminating the "Big Hits". Like I have heard several times here and on TV, "see what you hit". In other words if you lower your head so that the top of the helmet is making the initial contact you are gone

Vicious_Machine

League is selling photo of James Harrison's illegal hit | ProFootballTalk.com

Did anybody else read this???? Is this fake? Surely the NFL cannot have this double standard....

As for the NHL, the NHL is a joke league in terms of suspensions. A guy making a hand gesture gets suspended as long as a player who hits somebody from behind face first into the boards who did not have the puck. Please lets not take lessons from the NHL about how to run a league :shake:

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
League is selling photo of James Harrison's illegal hit | ProFootballTalk.com

Did anybody else read this???? Is this fake? Surely the NFL cannot have this double standard....

As for the NHL, the NHL is a joke league in terms of suspensions. A guy making a hand gesture gets suspended as long as a player who hits somebody from behind face first into the boards who did not have the puck. Please lets not take lessons from the NHL about how to run a league :shake:
It was true, but not anymore.

They used an outside company to sell pictures and videos. They did not totally control material in those outside sales. They have since done the right thing and removed them, including videos where such violent hits are celebrated.

it was part of a huge and very entertaining rant that ESPN had this morning on Mike and Mike.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Being a fan of the NFL a bit myself, there was nothing GREAT about the hit on DeSean. There was nothing good about the intent to take out Heap, by Meriweather. I was not impressed with Harrison's hit on Massaquoi. I a big NFL fan, but not a fan of this crap at all.
Suspend them, then remove them.
Okay, lets be honest here.

I played football in High School, and I was on defense. As such, we lived for the day we could make the impact hit that knocked a guy down, and freed the ball up. Not saying you wanted to hurt the guy, but YES make that God Awful crack so everyone took notice.

Here's the thing. I contend that of all the fines levied, the only one really correct was against Merriwether. He clearly intended to hurt, and hit Heap, even though the ball was cleary out of play.

I still contend, as do a whole lot of others, that the DeSean Jackson hit was clean. The defender led with the Shoulder IN THE CHEST area, and then the heads collided after the contact was made. What he did was good hard football. Seperate the receiver from the ball, its thier JOB!

Yes, you have to eliminate those dirty hits where they lowered their head to use the helmet as a weapon, or took at shot at another players head.

No, you don't penalize, fine or suspend a defender for a teeth rattling hit that occured correctly. Hitting a guy with impact below the shoulders to knock the ball loose is football.

it really is that simple.

Arctic Dawgs

I still contend, as do a whole lot of others, that the DeSean Jackson hit was clean. The defender led with the Shoulder IN THE CHEST area, and then the heads collided after the contact was made. What he did was good hard football. Seperate the receiver from the ball, its thier JOB!

Yes, you have to eliminate those dirty hits where they lowered their head to use the helmet as a weapon, or took at shot at another players head.

I disagree. In every clip I saw he intentionally lowered his head after his last step and before making contact with Desean. While they may have bumped chests in was after impact with his helmet above the facemask.

As far as I am concerned the lowering of the head is grounds for expulsion whether contact is made or not. Just as attempted murder will put you in jail. It matters not if you are successful, only that you tried

gruntbusters

hehehe...heheheh..hehe...
As long as this has been going on, I'm surprised something hasn't been put in place already. I guess big hits make money (from us viewers), but in this case I sure hope the NFL doesn't let it go again. Suspend players for these hits. Take them out of the game.

I for one enjoy seeing DeShawn go off for big gains, even if it is against me in my dynasty league. It's not the same game with him on the bench. And we will be without him for several games. Same goes for all other stud players getting taken out from these stupid moves. If anyone puts the killer hit on my boy Nicks I'm going to write a letter to the commish myself!

Remote Controller

What a poser!
-- James Harrison to Practice Thursday --
Thu Oct 21, 2010 --from FFMastermind.com​
ESPN reports Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison is set to practice today after threatening to retire on Wednesday.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Raise your hand if you thought he would retire. Poor guy. Such strife!