What should the NFL do about helmet to helmet and Head-hunting?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
DJax....Cribbs.....Massaquoi.....Heap......all 4 to various degrees have been impacted already by helmet to helmet, or head hunting hits.

Does someone have to never walk again before they make a stand?

The hit on Jackson was ridiculous! Robinson looked like a missile flying in there with his head down. You'll suspend a guy for 4 games for smoking pot, but he puts him and other players career in jeapordy and he gets fined and penalized 15 yds???

4 game suspensions need to be considered and Robinson shuld be the first one handed out.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
As bad as this sounds if the player doesnt go down then 15 yds...if he goes down id say an ejection and a game suspension.

Arctic Dawgs

Agree with most above. They need an immediate ejection, then have to visit with the commish. Maybe up to 4 games and the loss of 1 year pension/FA accrued time depending on severity/intent

maverick824

J Harrison responsible for HTH KO's on both Massaquoi and Cribbs.....I think that should warrant at bare minimum a suspension.....

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
J Harrison responsible for HTH KO's on both Massaquoi and Cribbs.....I think that should warrant at bare minimum a suspension.....
wow, didn't know he was the culprit on both.....messages need to be sent to Harrison, Merriweather and Robinson this week by the NFL. Hopefully with so many that the league will feel the need to send a loud and clear message to their players on this subject for once.

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
Bump caps? Like the historical leatherhead versions? I sure as heck didn't see anyone holding back on their hits back then... and we've got a crop of stronger, higher velocity athletes today.

Technology needs to get their butts into gear and design a helmet that actually protects. Hire leading safety engineers from car manufacturers or something. Its not like we're not smart enough as a nation of education innovators.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
DJax....Cribbs.....Massaquoi.....Heap......all 4 to various degrees have been impacted already by helmet to helmet, or head hunting hits.

The hit on Jackson was ridiculous! Robinson looked like a missile flying in there with his head down. You'll suspend a guy for 4 games for smoking pot, but he puts him and other players career in jeapordy and he gets fined and penalized 15 yds???

4 game suspensions need to be considered and Robinson shuld be the first one handed out.
Okay, hang on here.

I have seen the replay, and in the DJax, Robinson case, he was leading with his shoulder, not helmet. Even Avant today on Mike and Mike said it was a clean hit.

Also on Mike and Mike they had Ditka, and he said you could eliminate the face mask, and you would have less helmet hits. They use it like a weapon since their pretty faces are safe. I like this idea.

Mike

Administrator
I remember bringing this up long ago and getting a little ridiculed for it.

Bottom line, players need to be tackling and quit this stupid act of "launching" themselves at someone. I don't give a rats ass if they are leading with their shoulder or not. A shoulder into someones skull at the speeds these guys are moving is dangerous.

I am sick and tired of the inconsistency on safety. We will damn near ban a player from football for making what should be a legal tackle on a quarterback, but due to ratings, the NFL turns it's head to the violent hits that are taking players out of the game on a regular basis, and in many cases causing long term/permanent damage to a players physical and mental health.

helmets and pads are protection items, not weapons, and the rules need to be set up to enforce this. Time to get back to playing football, not auditioning for ESPN highlights.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
I was watching NFL Game Day on the NFL Network and Rodney Harrison was commenting on this leading with the helmet issue.

He stated that these pocket change $5000 and $10,000 fines are a joke, he would put $50,000 away at the beginning of the season to cover his "illegal" hits on players.

He never cared about the fines but said when he got suspended that he would be letting his team down as he wouldnt be able to play that week(s), so Harrison says thats the only way to try to stop these helmet to helmet hits is go the multi-game suspension route.

IMO these viscous hits will never stop until multi-game or season long suspensions are in place by the league.

Runnik's Hambones

Fines are crap. You can't punish a helmet to helmet hit (life threatening) the same way you penalize TO tweeting before his game. These guys have to lose playing time, and I think a 1 game suspension for 1st time violators is required. You have to be strict with this.

1st time offender - 1 game suspension
2nd time offender - 2 game suspension without pay
3rd time offender - 4 game suspension without pay

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Sorry, robinson lowered his head and the contact was helmet to helmet....I have said this each time we debate it here, SEE WHAT YOU HIT! Fundamentals of football. The worst hit was the one on Heap his intent was clear. Robinson's intent may not have been the same, but he looked straight down and launched his helmet at Jackson.
Posted via Mobile Device

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I feel that it's a fine line trying to determine those helmet to helmet contacts that are intentional vs accidental. If you start suspending players for accidental contact there goes the defense out the window.

Remote Controller

I agree but felt the mosr blatant attack was the one on Heap. It was as violent but you could see him look the situation over, then aim at Heap coming down towards him. The horrible impact brween DeSean and Robinson is a whole different conversation. He was going for the massive hit and got more tahn he bargained for. They should both be fined heavily and the guy who hit Heap removed from the game forever. I feel Robinson should miss 4 games.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I don't see how you can suspend any of these players for hits made before the suspension rule was in place. The most I see happening would be a warning that starting next week we will suspend you for leading with your helmet and I hope that doesn't trickle down to including solid licks made with the shoulder pad, good grief.

deuce4321

Driller
I feel that it's a fine line trying to determine those helmet to helmet contacts that are intentional vs accidental. If you start suspending players for accidental contact there goes the defense out the window.

its hard to be able to guess where your opponent will end up after you have launched yourself in the air to try to make a hard hit to separate the ball from the receiver.
This is not going to be a popular opinion on here but NFL players choose to play the game and are compensated handsomely for it. Part of the risk that comes with the job is taking these hits. There are inches separating a legal hit from an illegal one. just sayin'