Top Ten Fantasy RBs According To NFL.com

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
seems to me like everyone's overlooking a pretty obvious answer here. he goes by the name adrian.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Lol, LT is #13 on the list.

LT might bounce back this year. Last year he was coming off injury, then got injured again (toe i think) and the offensive line was weak. He won't put up monster numbers like the past, but I think he'll be in the top 10 this year.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
serious question here, anyone know the last time someone was in the top 5 fantasy backs in both of their first two seasons?

Yawn.

Edgerrin James

1999: 1553 yards, 13 tds
2000: 1709 yards, 13 tds

Marshall Faulk

1994: 1282 yards rushing, 11 tds. 552 yards receiving, 1 td
1995: 1078 yards rushing, 11 tds. 475 yards receiving, 3 tds

LaDainian Tomlinson

2001: 1236 yards rushing, 10 tds. 369 yards receiving
2002: 1683 yards rushing, 14 tds. 489 yards receiving, 2 tds

:respect:

ExperiencedRookie

seems to me like everyone's overlooking a pretty obvious answer here. he goes by the name adrian.

I didn't think AP finished in the top 5 for some reason. I thought the 1st half of his rookie campaign was pretty soft. I guess when you explode in the 2nd half that makes up for it.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Not sure what I was looking at, but he if the first name I looked at....even before I post the question......thought he finished 8th last year for some reason.....but he did not, he was 3rd both years.

So yep, guess that was an easy one, lol. Thanks Bomb.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Yawn.

Edgerrin James

1999: 1553 yards, 13 tds
2000: 1709 yards, 13 tds

Marshall Faulk

1994: 1282 yards rushing, 11 tds. 552 yards receiving, 1 td
1995: 1078 yards rushing, 11 tds. 475 yards receiving, 3 tds

LaDainian Tomlinson

2001: 1236 yards rushing, 10 tds. 369 yards receiving
2002: 1683 yards rushing, 14 tds. 489 yards receiving, 2 tds

Yeah, I would imagine those numbers would get the job done. So we now know of 4 since 1994, happens a bit more than I would have thought (I really had no idea, hence why I asked).

I would feel a bit better on Forte given the historical occurrences we already have seen. However, I do stand by my earlier statements that not all 3 will do what they did last year. There will be some that fall back. But great stuff in here for sure. These are the threads that allow people to formulate rankings that will separate them from the rest!

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
keep in mind that LT, faulk, and edge are HOF locks, and AP looks to be headed that direction barring a huge injury. are we really including forte in that group?

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
keep in mind that LT, faulk, and edge are HOF locks, and AP looks to be headed that direction barring a huge injury. are we really including forte in that group?

We wouldn't have said the same about the three aforementioned locks after one season, either.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
a valid point maybe. but each of the 4 backs we are talking about were top 10 draft picks who looked absolutely special their whole rookie year. i just cant say the same about forte on any level. right guy, right place, right time, great season he wont be repeating this year.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
a valid point maybe. but each of the 4 backs we are talking about were top 10 draft picks who looked absolutely special their whole rookie year. i just cant say the same about forte on any level. right guy, right place, right time, great season he wont be repeating this year.
I guess that is where I struggle as well. Forte put up great numbers and was very productive, but I can't say he ever gave me that "WOW, this kid is special"! He's a good player, and much better than I thought he was going to be. But he also landed in a good spot and had a great year. Talent wise, I don't put him anywhere near where Edge, LT, Faulk, and AP were coming out. IMO, Forte could be like a Frank Gore. Good, not great, has the potential, will have a great year now and then, but is not in that elite level. I could be wrong, who knows.....

ExperiencedRookie

I think that is nothing more than a hunch. There is not enough statistical, situation, or historical facts to make that anything more than a hunch. As we've already seen with the stats and history here, the repeating success of Forte in 09 is not that unlikely.

The additional of Cutler could go either way, but shouldn't make that big of a fantasy impact, up or down.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I think that is nothing more than a hunch. There is not enough statistical, situation, or historical facts to make that anything more than a hunch. As we've already seen with the stats and history here, the repeating success of Forte in 09 is not that unlikely.

The additional of Cutler could go either way, but shouldn't make that big of a fantasy impact, up or down.
whoah.....I don't think I would say it's not that unlikely.....what, 4 backs in 15+ years......out of how many backs? I'd consider the percentages of a 5th pretty unlikely from a statistical standpoint. We have proven it's not unprecedented......but it is still a rare event. You have stated twice now that Forte not doing it again is nothing more than a hunch.....but can't the same be stated of you thinking he will do it??? Just a hunch?

No one knows for certain and we all have our opinions, that's what makes discussing it all fun. If it was not a hunch, it would be a fact. And since you have no better way of knowing if you are going to be right with your hunch than the next guy, they are all just hunches ;)

ExperiencedRookie

No one knows for certain and we all have our opinions, that's what makes discussing it all fun. If it was not a hunch, it would be a fact. And since you have no better way of knowing if you are going to be right with your hunch than the next guy, they are all just hunches ;)

You're right. My opinion in this case is obvious. I have severe man love for Forte and MY HUNCH says he will be a fantasy star in 09.

I think there is more fact that points to repeat success than facts that point to failure.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I'll go straight gut here with Forte and Slaton as top-10 prospects, with Chris Johnson coming back to the pack a bit.

I'm basing this solely on the fact that Johnson's still in a slight timeshare with Fatty Lendale, plus I believe the Titans also drafted Javon Ringer. Slaton/Forte are the only show in town now and their teams really improved their respective situations in the offseason.

Coachnorm

You're right. My opinion in this case is obvious. I have severe man love for Forte and MY HUNCH says he will be a fantasy star in 09.

I think there is more fact that points to repeat success than facts that point to failure.

I am one that likes to keep an eye on trends and give them some weight. Yet, despite the fact that the top 10 Rbs are a revolving door in recent years I like Forte again this year. I got to see him play several times and was impressed by the intensity of every touch. It was pretty much balls to wall all the time. He also beat the proverbial rookie wall adage as it looked more like a beaded curtain as he ran through it.

Runnik's Hambones

I'll go straight gut here with Forte and Slaton as top-10 prospects, with Chris Johnson coming back to the pack a bit.

I'm basing this solely on the fact that Johnson's still in a slight timeshare with Fatty Lendale, plus I believe the Titans also drafted Javon Ringer. Slaton/Forte are the only show in town now and their teams really improved their respective situations in the offseason.

My man crush on Chris Johnson is praying that you're wrong. With that said, I think Lendale is the one that's getting the short end of the stick here. There have been rumors of TN wanting him replaced over the last 2 seasons. He's productive as hell as a #2 back, but he's an asshole, or so the rumors suggest ("Ohio State still sucks!" :pickle:).

Now, with the new addition of Javon Ringer, I see them trying to cut Lendale's touches back a bit, and prepare him for even a trade as they work Ringer into the lineup. They're looking for a Johnson/Ringer combo I'm assuming (this is all going to be based on how Ringer vs Lendale works out).

Looking back at a few threads, you all may remember how much I talked Ringer up. I'm actually a huge fan of his in the NFL and I think he will find more success than others appear to. If TN has a Johnson/Ringer running game, we're looking at my personal favorite 2 RB team.

Remote Controller

serious question here, anyone know the last time someone was in the top 5 fantasy backs in both of their first two seasons?

Just off the top of my head I know that sophomore RB's seem to struggle their 2nd years after a great first year. Not always, there are always exception (AP), but even the exceptions would be hard pressed to go back to back top 5.

Forte was a STUD last year, no doubt about it. But I don't see him doing something that I don't think many have done. He won't be a bust, but I'm not taking him top 5 either.
I just saw this and it has likely been addressed above. I see a big difference in this situation though, that being the cutler threat. I know that was mind blowing info, but I feel Forte is one of the top options available for many/most formats. (Redraft for the next 4 years or so. Dynasty for the next 4 years or so. PPR only enhances his worth. A team steeped in Defensive Mojo getting him the ball back) He is among my top targets this season.

Remote Controller

8th (MJD) - 14th
10th (addai) - 3rd
17th (bush) - 16th
29th (Maroney) - 27th
30th (Bell) - N/R

Outside of MJD, these backs were all 1 trick ponies, and MJD was in RBBC situation. The back I would like to look back on and haven't yet, that I would like to draw comparisons to is Edge in his first 2 seasons. I see Forte as a 3 down back like edge with a solid work ethic. I don't know if Edge qualifies for consideration, but I see Forte emulating his success, and now he has a Qb that can threaten teams deep.