keeper suggestions

Mental

Hello all, chomping at the bit for some football. Until then..can someone take a minute and recommend three keeprs from the list below. Got my three in mind but I'd apprecaite an outside look. Standard score - non PPR league. 1pt per 25 rushing yards/ 50 passing yards- 6pt rushing TD, 4pt passing TD-
Favre, Brett MIN QB
Orton, Kyle DEN QB
Romo, Tony DAL QB
Gerhart, Toby MIN RB
McCoy, LeSean PHI RB
Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB
Peterson, Adrian MIN RB
Collie, Austin IND WR
Jackson, DeSean PHI WR
Rice, Sidney MIN WR
White, Blair IND WR
Williams, Mike TBB WR
Clark, Dallas IND TE
Lewis, Marcedes JAC TE

Zach

The obvious Peterson - then you are flipping a coin between Jackson, Collie, and McCoy. The more people in the league plays a big part in if you need to keep McCoy or not.. a ten team league and you can still find a running back in the draft, a 14 team league and you are praying you find a running back.

(Should note that I am never sold on someones value based on what he might do - I want to see them really do it first - and with McCoy one decent year with the hint of something possible to come does not sell me -- I am wrong as much as I am right... which when comes to someone that I am building a team around I want something that is better than 50/50)

There is other factors as well - what is your draft position? The talent level in a keeper drops dramatically since there is always that team or two that has to cut someone that nobody else would think of. If you have an early draft position and know that someone is going to have to cut a back better than McCoy that you can get it makes not keeping him pretty easy.

Rice is someone thats value is unknown - could easily end up being one of the top scoring receivers in the game... just who the hell knows where he ends up. Clark is someone that is easy to want - but his injuries are starting to scare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coachnorm

Hard to get yardage points in your league, looks like scoring TDs is very important.

Heavy penalty points for QB ints and fumbles?

Coachnorm

There is other factors as well - what is your draft position? The talent level in a keeper drops dramatically since there is always that team or two that has to cut someone that nobody else would think of. If you have an early draft position and know that someone is going to have to cut a back better than McCoy that you can get it makes not keeping him pretty easy.

Very Nice, Zach

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
How many teams?

Without knowing this it's hard for me to gauge the QB value...so I am going to say this based on a 12 team league.

AP is a no brainer. I personally still LOVE DJax and see his TD's popping up this year so I would keep him. Scoring system hurts him, but I still think McCoy is the right guy for the 3rd spot.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Hello all, chomping at the bit for some football. Until then..can someone take a minute and recommend three keeprs from the list below. Got my three in mind but I'd apprecaite an outside look. Standard score - non PPR league. 1pt per 25 rushing yards/ 50 passing yards- 6pt rushing TD, 4pt passing TD-
Favre, Brett MIN QB
Orton, Kyle DEN QB
Romo, Tony DAL QB
Gerhart, Toby MIN RB
McCoy, LeSean PHI RB
Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB
Peterson, Adrian MIN RB
Collie, Austin IND WR
Jackson, DeSean PHI WR
Rice, Sidney MIN WR
White, Blair IND WR
Williams, Mike TBB WR
Clark, Dallas IND TE
Lewis, Marcedes JAC TE

I think the points for passing push Romo ahead of Jackson. The other two are pretty straight forward. I like Romo a ton this year but he's a yardage guy so with 1 pt/50 yards I think he makes up for the skimpy tds and provides a greater amount of stability than DJacks.

Mental

Thanks for all the responses- it is a 10 ten keeper league and my draft position is second. I felt I had an incrediably strong team last year but I got RAPED in injuries last year. I couldnt win a game to save my life. I had Clayton as well but had to drop him when he went to IR. There is no rules around cost per player. This is a straight three keeper league with draft postion determined by last years record. No negative penalties.

cctekguy

Staff member
The next question would be "What Is Your Line-Up Requirements"?

I like AP, Jax, and McCoy on the surface but if you're starting 3 WR I might look again at Collie and Williams.

Clark is also an A1 option at TE. 10 team league you could probably replace McCoy easier than Clark in a 3wr 2rb 1te arrangement.

JScott

Administrator
The next question would be "What Is Your Line-Up Requirements"?

I like AP, Jax, and McCoy on the surface but if you're starting 3 WR I might look again at Collie and Williams.

Clark is also an A1 option at TE. 10 team league you could probably replace McCoy easier than Clark in a 3wr 2rb 1te arrangement.

Good call here cc.

What I don't get is the Collie choice (you and Zach). The NFL's poster child for concussions? I realize he came out of the gates on fire last season but that's all he has under his belt, roughly 1/2 a season. He's one hit from probably losing the 2011 season plus Clark is back which will pull targets from Collie. No way do I even consider keeping him.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Favre, Brett MIN QB
Orton, Kyle DEN QB
Romo, Tony DAL QB
Gerhart, Toby MIN RB
McCoy, LeSean PHI RB
Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB
Peterson, Adrian MIN RB
Collie, Austin IND WR
Jackson, DeSean PHI WR
Rice, Sidney MIN WR
White, Blair IND WR
Williams, Mike TBB WR
Clark, Dallas IND TE
Lewis, Marcedes JAC TE
With that scoring, and the fact I absolutely detest Romo. I would go with what I highlighted.

I also agree with JScott, no way in the world do I look to keep Collie. You can probably draft him later if you want him, but with Clark back he won't see that many passes.

In fact, if we knew more about Clark and his status, I might just grab him over DJax....as he gets receptions and yards. But with no ppr, I like DJax and his long TDs better.

JScott

Administrator
I agree with AP, McCoy and DeSean, with Clark as an alternate. I might be tempted at Rice or Williams as this is a ru/re TD heavy league but it comes down to who you can reasonably expect to be available in the draft for you. With 10 teams and 3 keepers, roughly the top 30 players will be off the board. AP, McCoy and DeSean are top 20 players themselves so they would be taken in your drafts 1st round. With the second pick you'd probably get one of them if you dropped them but that would be a waste. Keep these three and you could draft Clark at #2 at worst. Or vice versa with DeSean. The likes of Collie, Romo (due to low QB league scoring), Rice, and/or Williams will probably be available at your 2nd pick. No way AP, McCoy or DeSean last to your 2nd pick.

Zach

Good call here cc.

What I don't get is the Collie choice (you and Zach). The NFL's poster child for concussions? I realize he came out of the gates on fire last season but that's all he has under his belt, roughly 1/2 a season. He's one hit from probably losing the 2011 season plus Clark is back which will pull targets from Collie. No way do I even consider keeping him.

I love whoever Mannings number one target is always have always will - only interest I have in Collie is the system, not him particularly

Jackson is by far a better a receiver... a healthy Collie puts up better numbers as a lesser receiver though

Dallas Clark is by far one of my favorite players in the NFL (see avatar on the left).. just get really worried about players like him that miss almost an entire season at his age.

Coachnorm

I have to say that in this kind of scoring system that I actually like Romo as a QB. I played in a scoring system like this in my early FF years. At first glance 4 pts for a TD appears paltry, ah, but all the other QBs suffer from that same disadvantage. But in a league like this I view QB play not on stats alone I like to consider the game by game performance, what they are going to due for me each week for that week alone. Most QBs are 1-2 TD guys per game. Romo is often a 2 TD with an occasional 3TD game. This is a 4 point advantage, small but a distinct advantage on a week in and week out basis. He also throws for good yardage slight one point yardage advantage........... fractional points??......... gets all the points possible for 289 yards??
It is small advantage each week at QB and you hold your own against an elite QB. In these light yardage/heavy TD leagues games are won with scores like 79 - 74 instead of the 128-112. type games most of us play in with our higher powered scoring systems.

JScott

Administrator
I have to say that in this kind of scoring system that I actually like Romo as a QB. I played in a scoring system like this in my early FF years. At first glance 4 pts for a TD appears paltry, ah, but all the other QBs suffer from that same disadvantage. But in a league like this I view QB play not on stats alone I like to consider the game by game performance, what they are going to due for me each week for that week alone. Most QBs are 1-2 TD guys per game. Romo is often a 2 TD with an occasional 3TD game. This is a 4 point advantage, small but a distinct advantage on a week in and week out basis. He also throws for good yardage slight one point yardage advantage........... fractional points??......... gets all the points possible for 289 yards??
It is small advantage each week at QB and you hold your own against an elite QB. In these light yardage/heavy TD leagues games are won with scores like 79 - 74 instead of the 128-112. type games most of us play in with our higher powered scoring systems.

Fair enough, but would you keep him over AD, McCoy or DeSean?

Coachnorm

Fair enough, but would you keep him over AD, McCoy or DeSean?

I was just trying just trying to make a point that Romo in a league like this is very good and shouldn't be dismissed so easily. I would keep those three as well and since Mental has the second pick he probably can pick up Romo right away and he probably should do so. He should probaly check the roster on the one owner who picks before him and project that owners pick.

JScott

Administrator
I was just trying just trying to make a point that Romo in a league like this is very good and shouldn't be dismissed so easily. I would keep those three as well and since Mental has the second pick he probably can pick up Romo right away and he probably should do so. He should probaly check the roster on the one owner who picks before him and project that owners pick.

Yep, that's just how I read your post. Not particularly addressing the keeper question, simply assessing Romo in that scoring system on it's own merits. Given your analysis I was just curious about the keeper angle.

Given that 75% of ff players are sheep (IMHO) and simply follow published ADPs, I think the odds of Romo making it to his 2.09 pick are better than Clark's... not by much mind you and considering who may be kept that could swing the other way.

Coachnorm

To extend that a little further personally I would keep my keepers as close to the vest as possible as long as possible. In most keeper leagues you have to post your keepers or drop them by a certain time. Most owners do it somewhat early as it may be obvious to them who to keep. I would be lurking and watching until the last minute looking at what positions most people are keeping. 3 keeper 10 team leagues usually have most people keeping two RBs as we have suggested. So this means 18-20 backs kept. The other slots usually go pretty evenly between QBs and Wrs being kept. But I would wait to the last minute to see that ratio of QBs and WRs and might swap out my third keeper if something is a little weird with who is kept.