Jones-Drew Takes a knee

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Taking a page out of the westbrook playbook, MJD takes a knee at the one when he was sure to score so his team could run out the clock and preserve the win. After the game he apologized to his fantasy owners and said he owns himself in the league as well :biglaugh:

Great head up play, but I can't wait to hear the bad beats on the guys who lost b/c of that one.

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
That's classic! And says a ton about MJD that he acknowledges his fantasy owners.

cctekguy

Staff member
Super smart football play, however I think the FF reference was just to appease his fans.

Either way, it gave his team the win and that is what these guys are playing for....not to be fantasy studs.

I've learned to love MJD.

GoToLeep

Fantasy Football Champ!!
OK...I consider most people here to be very astute sports fanatics. I have a huge problem with what MJD did. They didn't have the lead when he took the knee. They were down by 2. Then they ran 3 plays before kicking the field goal. We all know what "things" can happen during those three plays. Not to mention a bad snap on the FG try, blocked field goal, etc. Then they lose the game!!! And, with the touchdown and extra point, they are up by 5 and the jets have to score a TD. Talk about no confidence in your defense.

I think it was a stupid move that worked out for them. If one of those bad things would have happened, what would the sports world be saying? If I was the coach (and obviously I'm not), I would have chewed him another one. And one more thing, at least kick the FG on 3rd down...just in case.

:mad::mad:And of course....And you knew this was coming...that STUPID move cost me 2 wins..... One was in the Outlaws mid season league where I lost to mills by 5 and in another league I lost by 3. :nutkick::nutkick:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
When I first read about the knee I thiught it was brilliant. Then I watched the replays on the nfl network and realized that they were behind as GoToLeap stated. Dumb move. It could have proved has dumb as the Pats going for it on fourth down and giving the Colts the ball in great field position. Too darn many things can go wrong as GTL stated. Yeah it worked but he should have scored.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I think it was a stupid move that worked out for them. If one of those bad things would have happened, what would the sports world be saying? If I was the coach (and obviously I'm not), I would have chewed him another one. And one more thing, at least kick the FG on 3rd down...just in case.

:mad::mad:And of course....And you knew this was coming...that STUPID move cost me 2 wins..... One was in the Outlaws mid season league where I lost to mills by 5 and in another league I lost by 3. :nutkick::nutkick:
lol, the second paragraph clouds your judgment here....and as far as the coach chewing his a new one....well since the COACH instructed him to do this very thing before the play, I'd say it would have been pretty dumb to chew him out for what he was instructed to do.

You say trust your defense.....b/c "things" can happen, well "things can happen on defense as well.....I'm willing to try to kick an XP for the win more than I am willing to KO, and let them have the ball. You control EVERYTHING the way they do, trust your kicking team and win the game. There was a reason the Jets were trying to let them score, it was b/c they had a MUCH better shot to win if they had the ball. Sorry you lost your 2 games, but MJD and the jags did the correct thing here and got the win.

mills

OK...I consider most people here to be very astute sports fanatics. I have a huge problem with what MJD did. They didn't have the lead when he took the knee. They were down by 2. Then they ran 3 plays before kicking the field goal. We all know what "things" can happen during those three plays. Not to mention a bad snap on the FG try, blocked field goal, etc. Then they lose the game!!! And, with the touchdown and extra point, they are up by 5 and the jets have to score a TD. Talk about no confidence in your defense.

He also could have fumbled the ball or had the ball been thrown, thrown an interception. The fieldgoal seemed to be the best option at the time to them, so they went that route. Things happen, we've seen it all.

Good game by the way ;)

I think it was a slap in the face of the defense saying they couldn't hold them with seconds left. I would watch how they react next week but it can't be a good motivator to have your coach make a statement like that,

mills

When you have a game on lock, why would you risk it? I don't see it being a slap in the face of the defense at all and I doubt the defense sees it that way either. When you have played 59 minutes, I doubt the last minute really matters to you. Don't look too far into it.

Runnik's Hambones

I actually felt the same way you did. I was watching it with a few friends and most everyone was saying that was a good move to win the game. But then I said, "but they're losing." MJD should have gotten the TD, IMO. In the end, he looks like a hero because they got the FG.

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
Watching NFL Network's Game Day report and seeing this play finally I have to agree. MJD thought more about himself in the split second and his potential publicity than he did of the team. You can't count on anything in the NFL and anyone can lose a lead in the final seconds. He just got lucky and like RH said, looks like the hero.

GoToLeep

Fantasy Football Champ!!
:grin::grin: BTW, I would have this opinion no matter who the RB was. :grin::grin:

My understanding was that taking the knee was discussed in the huddle...it didn't come in from the coach/bench.

My main point was that they were still LOSING. They were not preserving a win. And he gave up sure points that would have put them up by more than a field goal. And now you are WINNING!! But, they risked losing the ball on 3 plays or getting the FG blocked or a bad snap and they would have lost. I still think it was a very stupid move that happened to have worked out. I know, they still WON. :thrash:

Going for it on 4th and 2 from your own 28. Same thing. Stupid move that didn't work out. And he got fried today for it (by most people).

Let me ask this. Let's say he scored, but there was a defensive penalty. Do you accept the penalty, take the points off the board, so that you can run some time off the clock and then kick the FG? :headscratch:

Last edited by a moderator:

mills

I don't understand how you guys say that they were "Sure points." Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. I have seen countless games where someone fumbles or even gets shut out at the one yard line while trying to run in a touchdown. Since when did the NFL become a game just for people to play fantasy football rather than teams playing to win the game, which is ultimately what these players are trying to do. I truly find it ridiculous that people are actually upset that he didn't try for a touchdown, but instead, made a choice to run down the clock for a field goal. I'm sure he would have loved to add another touchdown to his resume, but instead, selflessly took a knee. Personally, I think the NFL needs more smart, mature players that will make calls like this. Get over not getting you "Sure" 6 points and move on with your life. My 2 cents.

deuce4321

Driller
I don't understand how you guys say that they were "Sure points." Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. I have seen countless games where someone fumbles or even gets shut out at the one yard line while trying to run in a touchdown. Since when did the NFL become a game just for people to play fantasy football rather than teams playing to win the game, which is ultimately what these players are trying to do. I truly find it ridiculous that people are actually upset that he didn't try for a touchdown, but instead, made a choice to run down the clock for a field goal. I'm sure he would have loved to add another touchdown to his resume, but instead, selflessly took a knee. Personally, I think the NFL needs more smart, mature players that will make calls like this. Get over not getting you "Sure" 6 points and move on with your life. My 2 cents.

The Jets caused a fumble on the goal line earlier in that very same game. After a TO the returning player tripped over his own feet on his way to a sure TD inside the 10. In that series the Jags fumbled at the one.

I heard MJD's interview after the game and he stated that his RB coach told him to take a knee. It was not stated if the head coach knew of this decision. MJD even questioned his RB coach to the decision. Lets stop saying he was selfless and all please.