Does Miami Deserve the Death Penalty?

Death Penalty for Miami

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Before you vote, I encourage you to read the highlights of the Yahoo Sports investigation, and take into consideration what happened to SMU.

I vote yes....

This is not an isolated incident, and Miami has a well documented culture of cheating which has happened over and over and over since the 1980s. Im not going to sit here and tell you cheating doesnt happen everywhere, because of course it does, but in the repeat offender and severity scale this is the modern day SMU.

Death.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
You brought up a good point. This not their first time being caught, just first time being this severe. They have been playing with fire for decades now and thought they would stay above any real punishment. So going on that, i have to agree with you sarge. This definitly is worth the death penalty. Now bigger question is, how many athletes transfer out and redshirt somewhere else if this does happen?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Al Golden has a real mess on his hands that he had NOTHING to do with, and he is honestly the only one at that school I feel bad for.

I think the guys involved currently on the team should not be allowed to transfer, but Im honestly not sure what happened to the players at SMU when they got the death penalty.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Al Golden has a real mess on his hands that he had NOTHING to do with, and he is honestly the only one at that school I feel bad for.

I think the guys involved currently on the team should not be allowed to transfer, but Im honestly not sure what happened to the players at SMU when they got the death penalty.

You really think that the players that had nothing to do with this or werent involved should suffer for others actions? If they are innocent, i think they should be able to transfer,redshirt elsewhere, and be given the chance to play and still get that shot at the nfl dream. Being stuck at UM, dont think players will get the fair shot to showcase their talents.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
No, I cant seem to edit my posts. There are supposedly 10 players on this years team involved. Hell no they shouldnt be allowed to escape..the others who are innocent absolutely let them go.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Ok, thats what i thought you meant. Didnt think you wanted to give the innocent the death penalty also.

maverick824

Info for ya, Sarge.........

Once SMU got tagged with the "death penalty," literally as soon as it was imposed by the NCAA, the vultures circled. The NCAA imposed it, and told all the players there that they were allowed to transfer if they chose without losing a year of eligibility. Most top programs zipped down to SMU to "recruit." I think around 70% or so, maybe more, transferred out once the program was shut down. The following year, they were supposed to be allowed to play, but no home games or out of conference games, but without the scholarship players (maybe a handful stayed), SMU cancelled play for a 2nd year, citing that they wouldn't be able to be competitive. All this info was grabbed from a quick stop and search at Wikipedia LOL.

Now, for my own opinion. What Miami has done is EXACTLY on par with what SMU did at bare minimum. Now, by letter of the bylaws, the following shouldn't matter, but I bet my life the NCAA is looking at this situation the same way. SMU basically, for all intents and purposes, bought their teams. What Miami has done is far far worse IMO. Besides the obvious payoffs to players, you now are also involving criminal activity in it with the claims of prostitution. Does Miami deserve it? Absolutely. If the NCAA goes down that road and substantiates even 30% of what Shapiro has said, they're already on par with SMU. This is a golden time to make an example of a program who has a history of looking the other way when the NCAA problems arise. There were criminal actions being undertaken by said members of the program, and that takes it to a whole new level. You can definitely convince me on the argument of poor college kids not knowing any better than taking handouts, but you show me one kid that graduates high school without the knowledge that paying for sex is illegal.

As for the OSU rumors a while back about the penalty, it simply wasn't warranted. The death penalty basically eradicated a program for being so corrupt that something HAD to be done. Do I believe OSU turned a blind eye to bylaws? Absolutely, that's been proven. However, I guarantee you there are lots of other programs out there that have done similar things as what was proven at OSU, maybe not quite to that scale, but I think pretty much all of us to a person accepts that it goes on. The case with OSU, however, is different. SMU bought their team because it couldn't compete otherwise. Ohio State would still pull in top tier talent due to its reputation regardless if their boosters never paid a cent to athletes. Penalize them, sure, but the death penalty would have been overkill.

As for Miami, tear it down to its hinges and let it serve as an example to any other program that allows the recklessness Miami did of the ramifications.

maverick824

Why NCAA won't levy death penalty against Miami Hurricanes - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

SI's Mike Rosenberg on why Miami will get away with out the Death Penalty.

The sad thing is Sarge, he's 100% right. They DESERVE to have their program eradicated. But since Dee is a former chair, and it's not a little piddley school in Texas that they can smush into a grease spot on the side of the road because it won't matter to anyone important, Miami will likely get a postseason ban, some scholarships stripped, and that's pretty much it. Wonder how mad Columbus will get if Miami's punishment is anywhere near theirs is severity-wise. May need to put Miller on homicide watch for that one.....

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Why NCAA won't levy death penalty against Miami Hurricanes - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

SI's Mike Rosenberg on why Miami will get away with out the Death Penalty.

Thx Sarge. Its a damn shame if that is true. NCAA knows what they did is wrong but since it would hurt them to punish Miami the way they should be, insted they will just slap their hands with rulers, put them in the corner and say dont do it again. Miami is getting away with murder, in sense. Yeah, not giving Miami the death penalty really tells other colleges alot. Hey as long as we are a key player for the NCAA to make money and the punishment isnt severe, we can do what we want. Get caught? screw it, just a little set back, no biggey. Just more proof to show how fkd up the NCAA is along with their stupid BCS hoopla. If it was a playoff system instead of this bcs crap, then i have no doubt Miami would be toasted.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
We are approaching the day of 4 16-team super conferences who subsequently break away from the NCAA

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Until the NCAA fixes the problems that they create, I don't feel they should be able to levy the "death penalty" on anyone.....THEY are just as much of the problem as schools like Miami....

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
You make a good point Miller, but in the NCAA's world they are still relevant and they really think they can keep something tied to that much money "amateur".

Most sportscasters Ive listened too are basing their opinions of the outrageous extent of Miami's transgressions. No one honestly cares anymore if a kid gets $500 here or there, its when your screwing hookers, getting abortions, partying it up on yachts and collecting bounties that its gone too far....so they say.

Take Christian Scott, senior safety from Texas who just pled out to a "Class A" Assault. What made him go off? He owed a few hundred bucks on his car and it was getting repoed. Im not taking that fools side in the case, but how many other players out there would have just taken the money from someone and paid the bill?

They dont let these kids get jobs and make pocket money, what do they really expect?

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Good point Sarge. What you think of a small payment type program for college athletes. That money would come from legitimate alumni donations or the such. Then these athletes would get small weekly paychecks.

MMRussell6

First of all, I am a diehard Miami fan. Yes, I believe some of the allegations that Shapiro brought to light, but I don't believe everything he stated. He is after all a convicted felon who conned MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars from people.

Miami doesn't deserve the death penalty. I will give my reasons: The administration has been extremely cooperative during the investigation process (unlike Tressel at Ohio St who lied, not once, but TWICE to the NCAA). The assistant coaches (both basketball & football) named in Shapiro's allegations are now at different universities. Nobody in a leadership role (aka coaches or the current AD), except university president Donna Shalala has been at the university while the allegations took place.

The most money one of our players (Vernon) received from a check for $1,000.00 and he is suspended for 6 games. The check was sent to his high school's booster program when he was a junior and ALREADY committed to Miami. He never saw the money or "allegedly" knew about it (aka Cam Newton's dad version 2). Maybe he did, maybe he didn't... I don't think that really matters. What does is that this is chump change compared to what Pryor and Newton were taking in...

I can understand why many of you are Pro on the Death Penalty at "the U"... You've probably only read the Yahoo article pertaining Shapiro's allegations. I advise you to read some alternative journalism that states facts, after all, Shapiro's claims were just that, allegations with no proof. The players suspended for this year openly admitted to taking money, getting into night clubs, and having dinner bought for them. We've been labeled as "bad boys" ever since the 80s. If you don't love 'em, you hate 'em.

Lastly, I think that the university and its players should be 100% responsible for any violations that have occurred and Al Golden has done a tremendous job of turning the program around with the little time he's been the head coach. He has demanded that the players be honest so we can move past this incident. Does the program deserve the death penalty, absolutely not.

Recruiting infractions and violations happen everywhere, most likely at whatever college/university you are fan of. Someone from the NCAA should start digging their nose into Florida State.... how in the hell did they have the #1 recruiting class last year?!?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Ive read both sides and formed my opinions as such. Miami has a history of repeated NCAA transgressions. What say you to that aspect of your program?

dannywest

Florida Skunk Apes
I can understand why many of you are Pro on the Death Penalty at "the U"... You've probably only read the Yahoo article pertaining Shapiro's allegations. I advise you to read some alternative journalism that states facts, after all, Shapiro's claims were just that, allegations with no proof. The players suspended for this year openly admitted to taking money, getting into night clubs, and having dinner bought for them. We've been labeled as "bad boys" ever since the 80s. If you don't love 'em, you hate 'em.

Allegations without proof that are having the results of players being suspended because they are admitting to these allegations. Are you sure there is no proof?

Miami doesn't deserve the death penalty. I will give my reasons: The administration has been extremely cooperative during the investigation process (unlike Tressel at Ohio St who lied, not once, but TWICE to the NCAA). The assistant coaches (both basketball & football) named in Shapiro's allegations are now at different universities. Nobody in a leadership role (aka coaches or the current AD), except university president Donna Shalala has been at the university while the allegations took place.
Lastly, I think that the university and its players should be 100% responsible for any violations that have occurred and Al Golden has done a tremendous job of turning the program around with the little time he's been the head coach. He has demanded that the players be honest so we can move past this incident. Does the program deserve the death penalty, absolutely not.
Those statements seem to be awful contradictory.
The most money one of our players (Vernon) received from a check for $1,000.00 and he is suspended for 6 games. The check was sent to his high school's booster program when he was a junior and ALREADY committed to Miami. He never saw the money or "allegedly" knew about it (aka Cam Newton's dad version 2). Maybe he did, maybe he didn't... I don't think that really matters.
You're right, it doesn't matter. What matters is that he cheated, along with many, many more, over the course of a very long time.
We've been labeled as "bad boys" ever since the 80s.
We're not labeling you as that, we're labeling you as an "organization that has displayed a consistent and repetitive nature to ignore the rules and guidelines and get away with it with a mere slap on the wrist" and we are tired of it.
Someone from the NCAA should start digging their nose into Florida State.... how in the hell did they have the #1 recruiting class last year?!?

Good idea, point the finger at someone else.

Here's a better idea though, let's keep the spotlight on Miami for a while, shouldn't hurt you guys though, after all, these are allegations with no proof.