Cutler traded to Bears

ExperiencedRookie

This is going to send shock waves through the NFC North and AFC West for years to come now.

Denver was really starting to get it together last year. Even though the defense was more than suspect, the offense was playing great.

Now this team has had all this "trade me" drama going on and the guy gets shipped. Most offensive players have to really wonder where they stand now. I can't see this offense being anywhere close to where they were last year. I think they would be lucky to finish 2nd in the division.

They're really going to need to make some excellent selections with those extra picks to stop the bleeding in the years to come.

On the Chicago front, it's a great move. They have now acquired a stud franchise QB, something they have lacked since, ummmmm, it's been a while. They certainly couldn't have gotten a player out of the draft who would make the same impact that Cutler will make. They did give up quite a few picks for him. Im not exactly sure where they would have gone with their 1st and 3rd round picks this year, but I'm sure they could have found some decent talent with at least 1 of those picks.

My only question is how well Cutler will fit into this offense. Jay had a legitimate top 10 WR in Marshall, and a budding young star in Eddie Royal at his disposal in Denver. He now has a rag tag group of nobodies to throw th ball to. We'll find out real fast if Cutler made Marshall and Royal good or if it was vice versa.

The soap opera continues and keeps our attention...

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
This is the worst possible trade the Broncos could have made with Chicago. Kyle Orton .....you got Kyle Orton when there are a few gems on defense to pick up. Wow. And they have the 18th pick in the draft. Not exactly the kind of pick that will help all that much.

Swing and a miss for the Broncos....again.
I think Orton was a throw in.
The Broncos wanted 2 firsts and they got 'em.
No way the Bears were gonna give up a starting D player... and they had to get rid of a QB anyway with Cutler coming in.

The 18th pick this year will land DEN a defensive STUD.

... and if Coach can make Matt frieken Cassel into a boarderline Pro-Bowler, Chris Simms will do fine. Now with Orton as the back-up, no need to waste a draft pick on a QB.

And Cutler goes from throwing to Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal...
to :hmmm: in CHI. He's going to regret this more than anyone... and rightfully so.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Interesting move indeed. From a fantasy standpoint Cutler does get downgraded some this year due to the Chicago receivers. But this is a nice grab for them. Bears need to get him some receivers now though, Bears WR's will be hot sleeper choices that is for sure.

Orton may be a very nice sleeper. I always thought he was a decent QB and one that was getting better. He now has Marshall and Royal to toss the rock to and McDaniels to mentor him. I do expect them to draft a QB, but don't let Orton slide off your radar next year. This does make me a little nervous on those two WR's though. Orton may do decent, but he's not Cutler in raw skills and it may take some time to get timing down.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
It looks like I'm going to be in the minority here but I think Denver got the better deal.

Is Jay Cutler a better QB than Kyle Orton? Sure he is - I certainly would take him over Orton. But anyone who played fantasy football last year knows that Kyle Orton was (somehow) tearing it up last year until he got injured without any real WRs.

Orton now gets Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal to throw the ball to, which would seem to suggest that his numbers could even improve off of last year's.

Denver gets TWO first round draft picks and swaps a 5th for a 3rd here. They have incredible leverage to go with another QB if they decide Orton isn't the guy or to do whatever they please. Personally I would try to mold Orton into my starter this year and see how it works with him and McDaniels. Use that mountain of high draft picks to load up your defense - the real weakness of your team.

ExperiencedRookie

It looks like I'm going to be in the minority here but I think Denver got the better deal.

Actually, I tend to agree. Given the circumstances and the outlook that Denver NEEDED to trade Cutler, I think they landed an amazing deal. I thought for sure they would end up selling him at a lower price just because of their desperation, but the number of interested teams drove the price back up.

Denver will only benefit from this trade if they nail at least 1 of their newly acquired draft picks. If they get nothing but busts and role players, they lose.

Vikings, Packers, and Lions fans Groan.

Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders fans rejoice.

I was thankful that Detroit did not pay a 2 1st round picks price to get Cutler. Would have preferred him not coming up against them twice each year but he is not going to save the Bears by himself. The D has to step back up and there has to be WR's stepping up as well. Should bump up the TE's numbers in Chi until that happens.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
:wow:
first thoughts, Chicago better go and get some WR help now. Yes Orton did okay last year...but Davis and co. at Wr sucks. Look for Olsen to get a huge push now. I also like Chicago then went and addressed its O-line by getting OTs Schaeffer and Pace. Allows them some flexibility at OT with the rookie Williams they took last year.

As for Denver, I think you have to give them a major good move here. First NE ONLY got a high second rounder for their Qb in a trade (which ironically started all of this....) and they got 2 First round picks, plus a third round pick plus a stop gap Qb. I think they did very well. It allows them to go Qb first round this year...if they have one drop that is worth it (Sanchez?) or look for the franchise Qb next year. Now they can focus on rebuilding that attrocious Def. I also would not be shocked if they go RB in first round, as the FA backs they picked up all have question marks.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I think Denver benefitted well from the trade with the picks. Then throw in Orton, who like mentioned earlier, was doing well last year until he got hurt. Now Orton has 2 real receivers to throw to. His value can only go up. I could see them getting a RB in the draft, but I tend to think they will try to get a franchise QB if one falls to them. And they desperately need to build their defense.

dukdown

Banned
Orton missed 2 games his senior year at Purdue, and still threw 31 touchdowns with only 5 interceptions. He was one of three Purdue qb's to start in 3 bowl games. The guy knows how to play quarterback. He got thrown into the fire his rookie year in Chicago, and had the maturity to take care of business. He will make an excellent system quarterback in Denver, especially now that he has legitimate receiving weapons to work with.

Cutler is going to one of the biggest party towns in the country. Will be interesting to see how he handles it.

Chicago makes sense to me. Did they recently add a QB that I missed? If so, never mind. It's not like Cutler can't step in and grasp a playbook even TrainRex Grossman can comprehend.
Seemed like the perfect place to put an above average QB to replace an adequate at best QB in Orton.

Not knocking Orton one bit. But Jay Cutler he ain't.

Orton missed 2 games his senior year at Purdue, and still threw 31 touchdowns with only 5 interceptions. He was one of three Purdue qb's to start in 3 bowl games. The guy knows how to play quarterback. He got thrown into the fire his rookie year in Chicago, and had the maturity to take care of business. He will make an excellent system quarterback in Denver, especially now that he has legitimate receiving weapons to work with.

Cutler is going to one of the biggest party towns in the country. Will be interesting to see how he handles it.
Great post duk, and I would have thanked you.

Orton has grit.

From the looks of the trade, professional minds think Cutler to be two drafts better than Kyle.

Last edited by a moderator:

dukdown

Banned
Interesting side-note that Cutler was all set to go to the University of Illinois, had a full-ride scholorship, and then at the last moment, the head coach of the Illini pulled his scholorship offer, and Cutler was left scrambling, ending up at Vanderbilt. That head coach - the current Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner.

Runnik's Hambones

dukdown

Banned
ya, looks like there's 10 seperate threads about Cutler going to the Bears.

Listened to the local Bears radio show interview Cutler, right off the plane, and they were already talking about that they all have to go out and get hammered.

ya, looks like there's 10 seperate threads about Cutler going to the Bears.

Listened to the local Bears radio show interview Cutler, right off the plane, and they were already talking about that they all have to go out and get hammered.
Bear Crawl
Chicago Beers?

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
as a vikings fan, i say welcome cutler to the bears. i cant wait to root against that crybaby.

Last edited by a moderator: