Big Ten to eye expansion

Who should the Big Ten invite to join conference?

• Rutgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Missouri

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Pittsburgh

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Syracuse

• Other (list below)

• Total voters

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Good topic.....funny choices, but I'd be more interested in some of the teams that are really rumored to be added. I listed the 4 names I am hearing as the top candidates.

Other names I have heard are UC & ND, though we all know ND is not going to join due to the TV deal.

Missouri is reported to be very interested. I thought Nebraska was an interesting rumored name. Can't see them leaving the Big 12, if they would, I would take them in a minute.

Pitt makes a nice rival to PSU and Rutgers is being pushed by the Easy Coast Media as a way to open up the NY media to the Big 10.....didn't think the NY media cared much about Rutgers....

Going to add another, Syracuse is another name they had on ESPN radio today. Don't see that happening.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
I think they should try to convince ND to join. If they don't, then put off expansion for another 5 or so years until they ask ND again.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Dude, if you are going to edit my pole, you could at least include the obvious #1 candidate.
and that would be??? There are the names that are being reported as likely contenders.....if you are referring to ND, they have tried twice in the past, reports are they will not even approach them as they already know the answer. they are not walking away from the tv $$

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I think they should try to convince ND to join. If they don't, then put off expansion for another 5 or so years until they ask ND again.
ND would be a slam dunk, but they just won't do it. As I posted above, they have offered them a spot twice before, at some point, you just have to move on.

If they could add ND, they would, just not a realistic option.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Central Washington University

After Central & Notre Dame say no, why not approach Kentucky?
Interesting name, not one I have heard much about. Would be tough to take them away from the SEC though, would be a huge boost to Basketball.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
I think it would be tougher to pry away Mizzou from the B12 than Kentucky from the SEC. Mizzou would lose a conference tie to their hated rival Kansas. Kentucky would just lose it's annual football beat beatdown from Tennessee. Indiana & Louisville are its biggest long standing hoops rivals, plus playing in & around Chicago & Detroit more often shouldn't hurt their hoops recruiting.

Louisville is another candidate. Earlier this decade it looked like it was going to sustain top 25 football & hoops programs.

catman

Baseball "Expert"
As one that lives in the area, I could see the Big 10 moving east again. Syracuse makes some sense, as does Pitt (not really adding any "new" fans, though with Penn St. already in the conference).
Missouri makes sense, but what does that do to the Big 12? Nebraska makes more sense, as they have a better history in football, which this is all about. Again, what does that do to the Big 12?
I do like Louisville or Cincinnati joining.
How about a Canadian college?

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
How about a Canadian college?

They are over a decade from being NCAA D1 in funding, facilities, etc. Simon Fraser University just outside of Vancouver, BC is joining NCAA D2. They dominated the NAIA, so they should do well at the D2 level. University of British Columbia is also thinking about joining the NCAAs. I could see them in the Big Sky Conference someday.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Missouri could still go at Kansas out of conference.

Missouri could go into the Big 10 and consistenly compete.

maverick824

if I had my choice, I"d make a serious run at Pitt or Iowa State. Nebraska's not leaving the Big 12, Missou would be another interesting choice, but I think the tie to Kansas kinda hurts that.

Pitt's big rival is supposedly WV, but they have Penn State as previously mentioned there, plus, it's WVA, I think there's probably 4 non fans of either program that can even tell me the name of their rivalry. (The Backyard Brawl LOL, WVA is nowhere close to Pitt's backyard) Wannstedt has brought them back to where they're at least relevant contenders in the Big East, they'd be no worse off at the start than Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan are right now. (Can't believe I just said that.) Plus Pitt makes the Big Ten MUCH more relevant than they already are in hoops. Pitt/MSU twice a year would be heaven.

One that's not really getting any mention is one I'd love to see. Iowa State!! The Big 12 won't miss them, they'd have no more travel expense than Iowa does every year, so geographically they fit, Iowa/Iowa State all of a sudden becomes both a football and basketball rivalry, and I think ISU's football recruiting actually would get a boost from being in the Big Ten, oddly enough. Recruits know you're not competing for a conference title with Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska in your conference. The Big Ten's only real mainstays right now are Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin(Iowa spends half their time here, the other half, who knows). The midcard of the Big Ten usually sees 1 team pop up for a year or three, then drop back down, but they could compete with all of them. Some may disagree, but I think it makes sense both for the program as a whole. Probably not even an option, but just spitballing I guess LOL.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Mizzou is apparently upset with the B12 over their Bowl placements over the past several years.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I don't think the Big 12 schools are going anywhere. From a travel standpoint the costs are just too expensive to justify.
I don't see how it would be any more than Iowa & Minnesota already.....especially for Mizzou, and not much more so for Nebraska.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Iowa State fits in academically & geographically, but adds nothing other than shorter trips for Iowa & Minnesota.

If they can't get Notre Dame or Missouri, maybe the the 11 Big Ten members should pony up a couple of mil each to bring back the Maroons.

They bring the academics, market, & tradition! 2 Natl. Titles, 1 Heisman winner, 12 consensus AAs, restores old rivalries...