Arian Foster/HOU RB news

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Kubiak's fondness for Foster continues to grow.

rotoworld,
Texans coach Gary Kubiak believes that starting running back Arian Foster is "becoming a hell of a football player."

We heard rumblings of Foster's lackadaisical attitude late last year, but he's put them to bed while earning the complete trust of Houston's coaching staff. "The way he practices and prepares, the way he goes about his business with blitz pickup, he's going to be a good one," added Kubiak. "He did a 360. ... Something clicked. He's doing everything we're asking him to do."
Source: houstontexans.com

cctekguy

Staff member
This thread encapsulates the fulfilling/aggravating nuances that make fantasy football so alluring.

If you drafted in June, you took Tate, if you drafted in July, you took Slaton (or none of them), and if you were drafting today it be Foster.

The best part is, we still have no idea what will actually happen.

Remote Controller

I've had it as Foster all preseason. Didn't buy the Rookie hype, and he had an injury, and Slaton had his shot and fumbled it away.

I totally understand your premise though. It is a crapshoot!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,
Steve Slaton left Saturday's game against the Cowboys with a foot injury.

Slaton returned from the locker room in shorts and said he'd be fine. NFL Network is calling it a turf toe injury, though, and he's not expected to play in the preseason finale. Turf toe injuries are known to linger depending on the severity, so Slaton is no sure bet to be ready for the opener. He's only draftable as a "handcuff" to Arian Foster at this point.
Source: Robert Henslee on Twitter

Foster keeps flying up draft charts.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,
Arian Foster rushed 18 times for 110 yards and a touchdown and caught four passes for 16 yards against the Cowboys in Saturday's preseason game.

Tell us again why he wasn't drafted. Foster looked fantastic, showing power and decisive cutting ability against a quality defense. He bulldozed safety Alan Ball for a second TD only to have it called back on penalty. Foster stayed in with the first-team offense through the third quarter, coming off the field only to allow two carries for six yards to Steve Slaton. Good luck trying to get the Rotoworld favorite on the cheap after his national coming out party Saturday night.

Foster has done too well too soon for me to have a crack at him.

TexanGrrl

Wonder Woman
Keep an eye on Jeremiah Johnson. This kid out of University of Oregon two years ago has been quietly moving up the depth chart. He had 9 carries for 53 yards averaging 5.9 yards a carry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texans_Chick

Houston Texans Analyst
Hello friends.

Arian Foster is the player that the Texans want to succeed. He's matured, he understands the system, he has looked good throughout training camp, has had a good preseason, has perfect size, speed, vision for this system.

Yesterday, Kubiak said that Slaton is going to be used some more in the return game. He did that his rookie year some, but they stopped him because he was getting so much work at running back.

He showed flashes of what he could do from that spot in New Orleans preseason.

Right now on the roster, they have two third down RB--Slaton, Johnson and two big backs Foster, Henry. Kubiak has said he is not necessarily going to go into the season with these four backs--the final game is going to be a difference maker. Henry is going to get the majority of the reps in the 4th game, trying to make the team, to show he isn't a look like Tarzan, plays like Jane player.

If Henry doesn't look good, look for the Texans to pick up a back of some size either through cuts or a trade. There has been some trade rumors out there. Even with trade rumors, they want Foster to be the man.

Some evidence? He's featured in the 2010 Houston Texans yearbook this year, right after Schaub and Andre Johnson.

IMO, Foster has looked the best of any back in any Kubiak Texans preseason. Offense getting him some big holes too.

Hope this helps. (Tried to take Foster in my FF draft but was picked 3 spots before mine).

If you have any last second Texans ff questions, please feel to contact me on Twitter @StephStradley

Texans_Chick

Houston Texans Analyst
Also worth noting....Rick Dennison, the new OC is serious as a heart attack on improving the Texans run game. He's old friends with Kubiak so think of Kubiak being the pass guy and Dennison as being Kubiak's brain annex focusing on the line and run game. Kyle Shanahan came from more of a skill position, pass background.

Though they were #1 with passing offense last year, I think they want to get more balanced, physical and explosive, sort of like the Saints last year.

Just wanted to copy something I wrote in the "PPR rankings" thread

In all of my seasons playing fantasy, I've learned that opportunity and whether a certain player fits into the offensive scheme of his team or not can lead to fantasy gold.

The Texans are a zone blocking scheme offense and that's perfect for a guy like Foster who is a one cut and go type of runner. If Slaton can put up huge numbers in that offense, Foster certainly can and at this point...Foster looks a lot better than Slaton. And in that offense, Foster is the unquestioned primary back who should see 300 touches.

Also, he happens to play in one of the most high powered offenses in the league. Teams have no choice but to protect against the pass when you're up against the likes of Schaub, Andre, Jones, Walter and Daniels. This should open up some very nice holes for Foster just like it did for Slaton back in 2008

I can see Foster producing top 10 numbers but would I draft him as a top 10 RB? Probably not but he's set up nicely to have a solid season.

Read more: http://www.sofantasyfootball.com/nfl/f2/ppr-rankings-36193/#post391517#ixzz0yNskS4CY