Arian Foster/HOU RB news

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,
Running backs coach Chick Harris confirmed that Arian Foster will enter training camp atop the depth chart at tailback for the Texans.

"Arian gives us the size, and he made good decisions at the end of last year," said Harris. "We're in a good spot with Arian starting it off, but I also think Steve Slaton will contribute for us in a lot of ways." The coaches are rewarding Foster for an impressive finish to last season, and rookie Ben Tate still has ground to make up after dealing with a hamstring injury for the majority of OTAs. Nothing is written in stone in this backfield.
Source: nfl.fanhouse.com

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I'm not sure who will take the reins this year. Ben Tate is more promising IMO, but if Slaton's fumbling issues were in fact from the neck problem, he could re-emerge. Why doesn't Kubiak just take the Shannahan approach and have a 3 person RBBC so we don't have to worry about who is on top of the depth chart and who is not.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
cbssports.com,
Texans head coach Gary Kubiak announced following his team's last OTA session that third-year RB Steve Slaton will not wear a red jersey during training camp after sporting one this spring. Slaton was not allowed to be hit after coming off serious neck surgery, hence the jersey. "We need to get his confidence back about getting hit," Kubiak said.

Analysis: There have been nothing but positive reports on Slaton this offseason even though the Texans spent a second-round pick on Auburn RB Ben Tate and worked with second-year rusher Arian Foster with the first-team offense. We could be looking at the Texans using anywhere from two to three running backs all season long, but Slaton seems locked into having at least the passing downs all to himself. That gives him decent value as a No. 3 Fantasy RB in deeper PPR formats and a quality reserve choice in all other leagues.

TexanGrrl

Wonder Woman
Many folks don't realize that Kubiak has always started the season with "the guy who proved the most". Slaton took over the rock his rookie year because he proved the most in training camp and preseason that year. Hell of a rookie campaign. However, when he proved to be a liability last year, the Texans were hosed in the backfield.

Move to 2010. Foster gets the nod until he gives Kubiak reason to pull him. We have better options this year in our backfield to move up into Starter position in the event that Foster gets pulled. Kubiak loves this kid. Course he loves any of the guys that do their job well. :)

cctekguy

Staff member
I wonder who has Foster in our league, Mud.

Ooops....That would be me.

Even WITH my lopsided trade to get Gore I STILL will throw away better players than you are keeping.:rolllaugh:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Once again Tekie I'll be playing in my 4th finals in the last 5 years while you'll be sitting back and taking notes.

bobbeaux

I'm not sure who will take the reins this year. Ben Tate is more promising IMO, but if Slaton's fumbling issues were in fact from the neck problem, he could re-emerge. Why doesn't Kubiak just take the Shannahan approach and have a 3 person RBBC so we don't have to worry about who is on top of the depth chart and who is not.

plug and play is what i say . . . lol . . . if slaton gets his confidence back, he'd probably be the lead back in this high powered passing game . . . it's looking like much of the same (except hopefully less fumbles) in the running game, but the te position(s) has to be solidified for this offense to reach the next level of awesomeness . . . lol . . . i haven't heard enough about daniels this offseason to feel confident in risking a pick on him . . . can't wait for preseason . . . ;)

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,
Stephanie Stradley of AOL Fanhouse predicts that Arian Foster and Steve Slaton will open the season as the team's top two tailbacks.

Stradley expects rookie Ben Tate to be eased in as he learns the offense and protections, assuming Foster doesn't get hurt or Slaton (neck) has a setback. In this scenario -- which is currently the safest guess -- Foster would likely handle the majority of early-down work with Slaton acting as a passing-down back and pace change. The most talented back in Houston, Tate still isn't a poor bet to accrue the most fantasy value by the end of the season.
Source: AOL NFL Fanhouse

Remote Controller

rotoworld,
Stephanie Stradley of AOL Fanhouse predicts that Arian Foster and Steve Slaton will open the season as the team's top two tailbacks.

Stradley expects rookie Ben Tate to be eased in as he learns the offense and protections, assuming Foster doesn't get hurt or Slaton (neck) has a setback. In this scenario -- which is currently the safest guess -- Foster would likely handle the majority of early-down work with Slaton acting as a passing-down back and pace change. The most talented back in Houston, Tate still isn't a poor bet to accrue the most fantasy value by the end of the season.
What a mess! :runaround:

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
In this scenario -- which is currently the safest guess -- Foster would likely handle the majority of early-down work with Slaton acting as a passing-down back and pace change. The most talented back in Houston, Tate still isn't a poor bet to accrue the most fantasy value by the end of the season.

Translation: Stay away from all as your primary backs. Stash Tate for later in the season/ next season. As I agree that he is the most talented RB on the team and would not be suprised to see him handling the bulk of the load by seasons end.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Sure 'nuff. I wouldn't touch any of them at this point.
In a PPR league, I think I may target Slaton later if he drops. He excelled in this type of role when he started, and if healthy, this is the perfect nitch in this offense for him.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
Dont the neck injury that S.Slaton had last season scare anyone away from him ??

One more hard hit to the neck area could re-aggravate the injury and bring back the numbness in his arm/hand.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Dont the neck injury that S.Slaton had last season scare anyone away from him ??

One more hard hit to the neck area could re-aggravate the injury and bring back the numbness in his arm/hand.
Not if I can get him later. Use him as my #3 or flex in a ppr league.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
cbssports.com,
Texans rookie RB Ben Tate said in an interview with CBSSports.com on Saturday that his injured hamstring, which was a problem during offseason workouts, feels fine. He is now looking forward to competing with Steve Slaton and Arian Foster for the starting job during training camp. "I'm definitely working to be the guy," Tate said. "I want to be the starter."

Analysis: We expect Tate to be the best running back for the Texans, but all three players will share carries. Tate said it's a "friendly competition," but he still wants to start. We think Tate has the potential to be a starting Fantasy option this season, and he's worth drafting as a low-end No. 2 RB in seasonal leagues around Round 4 or 5. In rookie-only drafts, Tate should be considered a first-round pick.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,
Updating a previous item, Texans coach Gary Kubiak called Arian Foster "mature beyond his years" and predicted he will be tough to unseat atop the depth chart.

Foster has shown an impressive burst early in camp, and he's determined to keep the job. "I wasn't up at 5:30 (a.m.) this offseason for nothing, so my mentality isn't, 'This spot is mine,'" said Foster. "My mentality is, 'This spot is going to get taken. I am going to take it.'" Kubiak will split carries equally among the five backs in camp, but the tide has clearly turned in Foster's favor. Jul. 31 -
Source: Associated Press

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Foster continues moving up fantasy draft boards.

rotoworld,
ESPN's Paul Kuharsky confirms that the Texans "definitely" consider Arian Foster to be their starting running back this season.

Steve Slaton will "ideally" be utilized as a change-of-pace back, primarily on passing downs. This is how we've seen the Texans backfield shaping up for some time now, and it makes all the sense in the world. Foster is a big back with solid all-around skills while Slaton struggles to run inside and has concerns about a heavy workload. Foster should be locked in as a low-end RB2 in fantasy drafts this year.
Source: ESPN.com

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Don't over look Slaton in ppr leagues, but Foster is looking better and better in standard scoring leagues.