Alex Smith unlikely to be released

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld just released this info.

The 49ers and Chiefs have completed a trade for Alex Smith.
Four years after trading for the Patriots' backup quarterback, the Chiefs have swung a deal for the man who lost his job to Colin Kaepernick. New coach Andy Reid has paid a pretty penny for his starting quarterback as the Chiefs will reportedly send a second-round pick to the Niners in this April's draft and a conditional mid-round pick in the 2014 draft. It's the same kind of price that the Cardinals paid for Kevin Kolb in 2011 and the Chiefs paid for Matt Cassel in 2009. Smith is certainly an upgrade on Cassel, but has proven to be incapable of anything more than game managing for the Niners. Under Reid's pass-happy West Coast scheme, he'll be asked to do a lot more. The deal won't be official until the new league year opens on March 12.

Escrow

I am not stunned at all really....I look at it this way, was he going to sit on San Fran's bench? Absolutely, but that still doesnt make him worth less....he was pretty efficient in 2011 and is not a great QB, but its better than what KC has and possibly better than a potential QB drafted.

Just a few stats to ponder...

He is 19-5-1 as a starter the past 2 seasons
30/10 TD to INT ratio the past 2 seasons
League leading sacked total (44) in 2011 while only throwing 5 picks(1.1 int %, lowest in the NFL that season and the 5th best of all time)
QB Rating the past 2 years, 90.7(9th in the NFL) and 104.1 this season

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Sources today say there's no chance he gets dealt to Arizona which is in the same division. Latest rumor I read is that he'll be traded for a 4th to the Chiefs. Yesterday it was a 3rd. Tomorrow, who knows.

2nd rounder in 2013, and a conditional pick in 2014(reportedly up to another second maybe

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I am curious if this kills any shot of Flynn being dealt. He won't garner this much, but I see Seattle wanting that much.

efactor

Coming at you
:biggrin:

Trent Balkke is the man. I thought a 3rd would be good considering it is so early, but the 34th pick was a pleasant shock. Plus a conditional pick next year. That's quite a boot for Smith.............

Coachnorm

On February 28, 2009, the Patriots traded both Cassel and OLB Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs for the No. 34 overall selection in the 2009 NFL Draft.

cctekguy

Staff member
Well, considering he cost YOU a #1 and several years of mediocrity, I guess you deserve to catch a break.

Funny how this guy has now commanded a #1 and a #2 in his career yet will never sniff the pro-bowl.

...and why is everyone chanting that "Smith is better then what they (KC) have"? Cassel was the savior 4 years ago and had an incredible season prior to joining the Chiefs. Anyone that thinks Smith is gonna make one iotas worth of difference on that team of bumbling drumsticks is just silly.

efactor

Coming at you
Well, the front office at the time made a mistake with Smith and the new front office got some of the bad investment back.

Moving forward...........

cctekguy

Staff member
Helluva resale on an Edsel.

Think the 9'ers will have any interest in Cassel as a #2?

He should be without a job soon.

RLLD

Kansas City has a nice blend of talent, yet seem unable to win games. Reid wanted a new QB, likely wanted Foley but the Iggles overplayed on the guy. So what is the problem with this move? Not much of one really. We can say that KC overpaid for him, but we have no idea what the market was for this guy, no idea what other offers KC had to beat.

Further, the addition of Smith very likely equates to more wins, he does possess a more tangible skill set than Cassell who, like Brady, was the benefactor of a system well suited to his skills. No he was not a great QB, just benefitted from Brady being hurt, and had his turn at the helm of a ship that practically ran itself. Reid certainly understands this, and knows that Cassell has already peaked, will never be anything more than he already is, but Smith is already more....and can be even more.
Smith is 29, and KC should be able to get four to five years out of him, time enough to grab a QB or two for development.

Bottom line, if Smith does not pan out then ANY trade would ultimately been seen as "bad", so if we want to say they got taken even harder for the pick than they could have, I go back to the simple statement that we do not know what the market was on Smith, what it took to get him may have been the market, and that is a dynamic out of the control of the player and the club. Reid needed a QB, was not going to get one in the draft, so he took the risk, and it is a fair risk.

Reid needs to win soon, to show improvement soon, this is how the NFL works. If he is going to do this then he is showing that he is "all in" and this move demonstrates that he is certainly so. Go bold, go big, or go home.

cctekguy

Staff member
Bottom line, if Smith does not pan out then ANY trade would ultimately been seen as "bad"...

That's a very good point.

I can gripe about overpaying for Smith but there was not a single better option. Flynn, Foles, whoever was doomed to failure from the gitgo and would have cost as much or more.

I still think that standing pat was the sensible long term thing to do, but as you said.....new coach, high pressure, blah blah blah.