1st 2010 NFL Mock Discussion Thread

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I took Jordan Shipley for the Cowboys. I think he has the potential to be a great slot WR. Possibly another Wes Welker. He can also return punts for the Cowboys. I make have taken him a bit to early I don't know where they are projecting him to go I just didn't think he would make it to my next pick in round 3. This will give the Cowboys another weapon instead of having Patrick Crayton.

I looked at him for the Panthers AND Ravens, but the Ravens need a guy who can be a #1, not a bad ass #2, and the Panthers WRs blow so bad I needed a do it all guy like Gilyard.

Solid freakin pick Bodey. Very solid.

DearbornDolfan

Hence, my "Eyeball Test" comment. Now you're talkin'!!

I believe in the eyeball test, but I also believe that for certain position size metrics have to be met. For example, the NFL did a study and determined that for a WR to be successful he had to fit into certain height/weight brackets tied to BMI.

There's a guy who I won't mention yet that I have as my own #5 WR and I don't think has been mentioned at all yet, but let's just say he was extremely productive last season in a major conference after Maclin left. And he did it with a much lesser quality QB than Chase Daniel.
:)

Yeah, I like him to. As I understand it, during the Senior Bowl he had the same problems that tall and lanky receivers tend to have with rounding out their routes, because it's hard for them to sink their hips. But I do like him as a prospect and in the right offense I think he'll be very successful.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I love the McCoy and Dwyer picks. McCoy just has "it" IMO. Takes a hit for not having some of the measurables, but there is just something about this kid that screams winner for me.

SD needs to restablish a running game, Dwyer would be a good start.

Remote Controller

Shipley was a great pick for the Cowboys, and I was hoping it would happen. I have a feeling though he will go before this point. Dwyer was a steal in the late 2nd and will fit in nicely.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I love the McCoy and Dwyer picks. McCoy just has "it" IMO. Takes a hit for not having some of the measurables, but there is just something about this kid that screams winner for me..

I just see a career backup.

That said, I pray I am wrong and he has a fine career. There is no doubt he's a winner, but the poor guy sure is snakebit aint he....

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Love the Dwyer pick, although there's another fella who vastly outproduced him while running in a more pro-style offense that I like better as the thunder to Sproles' lightning.
McCoy WILL succeed if he lands in a situation where he can be groomed in a solid system with a good supporting cast and not get thrown into the fire immediately. Arizona currently fits that bill to a "T". Leinart's no great shakes, but he can hold down the fort until his rookie contract expires and Colt could take the reigns. Minnesota would also be interesting if Brett comes back for 1 more year. A Longhorn handing off to a Sooner would be entertaining to say the least.
Can we at some point quit comparing young caucasian WR's to veteran ones? LOL
I see Shipley as more comparable to Steve Smith of the Giants than Welker.

Runnik's Hambones

Went George Selvie for the Saints in the 2nd. Really wanted a DT here, but with Selvie on the board, someone with as much potential as he has, I had to take the pick.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Thank God I can finally start referring to him by name now. LOL!
Wonderful bookend to Will Smith, or he can complement Vilma in the LB corps.. I like the fit!

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I just see a career backup.

That said, I pray I am wrong and he has a fine career. There is no doubt he's a winner, but the poor guy sure is snakebit aint he....
Well if I remember right you were predicting his downfall prior to the 08' season and wanted some kid who I don't even know if he's still on the team to take over....so I'm fine being opposite of you on McCoy ;)

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
LOL...His name is John Chiles, and he's still on the team. Moved to WR. And you are right, I absolutely was. I dont know what he did to change the way he was headed, but he certainly did change it.

What can you say but, at least... he wasnt Chris Simms

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I love Dwyer's size/build and he's a good inside/outside runner, but he profiles (to me, at least) as a 2-down RB. Unless he has some pass-catching skills that simply weren't showcased in that triple-option offense. Obviously going to SD wouldn't be much of an issue since they have an ideal 3rd down back already in place.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I love Dwyer's size/build and he's a good inside/outside runner, but he profiles (to me, at least) as a 2-down RB. Unless he has some pass-catching skills that simply weren't showcased in that triple-option offense. Obviously going to SD wouldn't be much of an issue since they have an ideal 3rd down back already in place.

That's what I see in him. I see Dwyer and Sproles being a great 1,2 punch.

DearbornDolfan

Unless he has some pass-catching skills that simply weren't showcased in that triple-option offense.

Which was pretty much the case. GT only passed off play action and even then it was something like only 10% of the total offensive snaps. Demaryius Thomas was targeted for most of the meager number, which is why I'm so impressed with him.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I protest! :rant:

I am ticked that alot of guys I really wanted have been taken....and have not slid down to me this round as expected. Keep this up.....and I will really get ticked off!

:sob:

:rant:

;)

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Which was pretty much the case. GT only passed off play action and even then it was something like only 10% of the total offensive snaps. Demaryius Thomas was targeted for most of the meager number, which is why I'm so impressed with him.
Interesting take, b/c it's the glaring issue I see as a negative when I watch his highlights. Here is what I see with Thomas that concerns me based on this issue. He comes from an offense that runs the ball down your throat and does not pass....forcing teams to load up to stop the running threat. This leaves the one passing threat they have 1-1 on the outside. When watching his highlights, his catches rarely are contested or in traffic. They are usually from broken coverage due to the element of shock that they are actually passing. I do not think there was one catch I saw in the highlights in which there was a double team around him.

I think it is much easier to impress when you are not the focus of the offense. Make him face a balanced defense and I think he struggles. Not having to catch in traffic is going to be something that hurts him in the long run. The adjustment he will need to make at the next level is much greater than most WR's.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Detroit - Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama.

Nimble offensive lineman who was a 1st team All American. Johnsons scouting report indicates he is perfect for zone blocking teams, and he should make immediate impact in Scott Linehan's offense.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, Love my Philly draft so far....got the DE for pressure I needed, got solid LB depth and got a Safety to holp out Mickell in the middle.

As for Cleveland...wanted to focus on the offense again. Took a receiving Te Hernandez...to help continue to bolster a terrible offense. With Bryant and Hernandez...they replace the talent lost with Edwards and Winslow Jr.