1st 2010 NFL Mock Discussion Thread

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Solid work Phic...and I think youve still got one or two to go.

I like the emphasis on fixing that horror of an offense in Cleveland.

DearbornDolfan

Interesting take, b/c it's the glaring issue I see as a negative when I watch his highlights. Here is what I see with Thomas that concerns me based on this issue. He comes from an offense that runs the ball down your throat and does not pass....forcing teams to load up to stop the running threat. This leaves the one passing threat they have 1-1 on the outside. When watching his highlights, his catches rarely are contested or in traffic. They are usually from broken coverage due to the element of shock that they are actually passing. I do not think there was one catch I saw in the highlights in which there was a double team around him.

I think it is much easier to impress when you are not the focus of the offense. Make him face a balanced defense and I think he struggles. Not having to catch in traffic is going to be something that hurts him in the long run. The adjustment he will need to make at the next level is much greater than most WR's.

It's true that he was often single covered, but not always, and a lot of times he had to come back to a bad throw and make the play, often fighting off a corner setting up for the pick. Also, GT did run a lot of screen and he made several big plays off those, which is the hallmark of an elite receiver.

For me, if there's a downside to his play, it's that he never ran a lot of routes. It's not that he can't, it's just that GT doesn't rely on a full route tree. He'll learn, but he's not stupid and he's a big play waiting to happen. I can definitely get down with that.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Nice grab for Jacksonville with Dunlap. Guy slipped a bit and it addresses a need at a cheap price.
Posted via Mobile Device

bobbeaux

Nice grab for Jacksonville with Dunlap. Guy slipped a bit and it addresses a need at a cheap price.
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah, i expected him to drop with his character issues, but was surprised he fell this far . . . i wonder how far he'll fall in the real draft?

DearbornDolfan

yeah, i expected him to drop with his character issues, but was surprised he fell this far . . . i wonder how far he'll fall in the real draft?

Dunlap's had the overrated tag slapped on him already and with his character issues... Well, the third round is probably about right.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Chicago needs to give Cutler more weapons. LaFell is the best WR left on the board IMO.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Well, the other thing not yet mentioned about Dunlap, is while he allegedly has 1st round talent, he is a 4-3 defensive end. He's not a drop into coverage guy, and with so many teams running the 3-4, hes a semi hot commodity in a small market.

Jacksonville got good dividends out of last years 3rd round pick, starting DT Terrance Knighton, a 6-3 325 rookie out of Temple. Knighton notched 45 tackles, 1.5 sacks, and 1 forced fumble, and was selected to the NFL all rookie teams of The Sporting News, Pro Football Weekly/Pro Football Writers of America, and Football Futures.

However, other than him and the aging John Henderson, the other DL guys need to step it up. Quinten Groves and Derrick Harvey are young and hopefully will continue to develop, but adding Dunlap could set a nice DE rotation. I also liked adding Dunlap in the mix because of familiarity with Harvey from UF.

bobbeaux

Chicago needs to give Cutler more weapons. LaFell is the best WR left on the board IMO.

here is another player that dropped in our mock, yet is being ranked as a 1st rnd talent . . . good pick with outstanding value in the 3rd, miller . . . ;)

DearbornDolfan

Well, the other thing not yet mentioned about Dunlap, is while he allegedly has 1st round talent, he is a 4-3 defensive end. He's not a drop into coverage guy, and with so many teams running the 3-4, hes a semi hot commodity in a small market.

I disagree with this. Only ten teams in the league run a 3-4 on a full or part-time basis, which means twenty-two run a 4-3 against two WR sets. MOST defensive ends have no shot at converting, so really he's just another fish in the sea.

He might very well go in the mid second, but I think that's the highest he goes.

DearbornDolfan

i hear ya, but i keep seeing him in the late 1st rnd in most mocks.

Reference my comment earlier about hobbyists. Real NFL teams have to concern themselves with character issues. Plus, consider that there are better pure 4-3 ends available in the first rounds; guys who don't have real and serious character issues, guys who are more physically gifted, guys who give maximum effort on every down, guys who produced more consistently at the college level.

Really, there's an entire first round of them, which is why I think his ceiling is with the Raiders in the second round. So, viewed in that context, him being drafted in the third isn't such a severe slide.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
here is another player that dropped in our mock, yet is being ranked as a 1st rnd talent . . . good pick with outstanding value in the 3rd, miller . . . ;)
Was kinda surprised he was still there. I was kinda leaning OL with this pick, but LaFell seemed to be too good of a value at a need position. Only think I am not sure of is he he really fits Martz system or not. LaFell is a guy who could any where from late 1st to early third on draft day IMO.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I've seen LaFell all over the place also, but never this late. Superb value pick here on a talented guy who has legit #1 WR upside. At some point I'd really like to see Chicago move Hester back to DB/ST, and drafting a guy like this would allow them to do so.

As for Dunlap, I'll agree with the character red flags wholeheartedly and I've been very outspoken about this through the years when Outlaw draft season rolls around. However, had the DUI never happened, he would've almost assuredly been gone in the earlier stages of the 1st round and probably would've been the first true DE chosen over Morgan. I certainly would've looked at him with my mid-2nd as a 3-4 DE because of his size/speed combo. The size of your D-Lineman in a true 34 front matters much more than the LB's because they need to tie up blockers and be run-stuffers first, and pass-rushers second.
On actual draft day, he won't make it anywhere near this far because someone (Oakland?) will look past the warts, just like what happens every year.

Remote Controller

Okay, Love my Philly draft so far....got the DE for pressure I needed, got solid LB depth and got a Safety to holp out Mickell in the middle.

As for Cleveland...wanted to focus on the offense again. Took a receiving Te Hernandez...to help continue to bolster a terrible offense. With Bryant and Hernandez...they replace the talent lost with Edwards and Winslow Jr.
What would suprise me is if you thought it sucked! :grin:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
3.12 - NY Giants - Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale

World, meet Jared Veldheer, a combine invitee you will be hearing about as draft day approaches.

Mr. Veldheer is a giant tackle with athleticism, who started all 46 games career games. He is a Division II AP All-America first-teamer, You'll get your first look at him later this month.

Measurables

Height: 6-9
Weight: 321
Projected 40: 5.25

Projected Round: 3