Who are some hot backup runningbacks that could land starting roles?

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
There was a discussion last night on local radio about the possibility of Darren Sproles becoming a feature back with another team. While you can't deny his production the whole "oompa-loompa discrimination" thing will likely make all GM's leary of working a deal for him. I don't see him as a 20 touch back anywhere unless those are 5 carries and 15 receptions. A place like New England would be a great spot for him. He'd be a major upgrade to Kevin Faulk.

Are there any other guys poised to land a starting gig and maybe make a huge splash like Michael Turner?

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
how many teams really have "feature" backs these days anyways? you dont think sproles could get 12-15 touches a game for a good team and help them be great?

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Are there any other guys poised to land a starting gig and maybe make a huge splash like Michael Turner?

I think a Turner performance is setting the bar a bit high.

Ward could move on to produce for a few years, but he's like 28 or 29. Not as good as Turner, but likely better than how Edge did in Arizona.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
There was a discussion last night on local radio about the possibility of Darren Sproles becoming a feature back with another team. While you can't deny his production the whole "oompa-loompa discrimination" thing will likely make all GM's leary of working a deal for him. I don't see him as a 20 touch back anywhere unless those are 5 carries and 15 receptions. A place like New England would be a great spot for him. He'd be a major upgrade to Kevin Faulk.

Honestly, I am drawing a blank on which backs are available. Everyone was waiting for Turner to spring free. Oakland has come out and stated they are going to keep all three Rbs (Fargas, Bush, McFadden) next year. I really can't think of anyone out there who has been waiting in the wings.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
how many teams really have "feature" backs these days anyways? you dont think sproles could get 12-15 touches a game for a good team and help them be great?

Westy is certainly a feature back...when he's not broken. ADP is a feature back and even with Chester the Molester he's taken a huge amount of carries. Portis is another guy who must be considered a feature back. I think if Chester became available teams would be willing to take him.

Sproles is interesting. He's produced very well as LT's backup. And to his credit he's been able to be effective between the tackles. So if we took height out if it and looked at his stats he'd be a good option. But the height thing is going to hold him back whether the stats say he's starter caliber or not. I honestly think New England would be a fantastic spot for him to land.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
westy only had more than 16 carries six times this season. i think sproles could definitely take a role similar to his, with 10-15 carries, 5-7 passing looks, and some kick returns. a lot of teams could use a player like that.

Mike

Administrator
Larry Johnson is likely the big name of this offseason, but it will be via trade.

Would I want him as the #1 back on my team? No. However, the interest is going to be there for several teams.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
It was thought Morris Morris would be cut before the season. He wasn't and played well with his opportunities. Being a Holmgren guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually let go this time around. Could manage some Chester Taylor type success elsewhere.

DearbornDolfan

I'd say Patrick Cobbs, but he was locked up long term at the beginning of the season. Sproles can do it, he has the kind of freakish athletic ability that helped Sanders.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
I'd say Patrick Cobbs, but he was locked up long term at the beginning of the season. Sproles can do it, he has the kind of freakish athletic ability that helped Sanders.

Very true. And he plays that way at around 195 which for a "normal" back is light. But when it is 195lbs on a guy who is 5'5 only if he's wearing 3 inch heals it becomes a whole different ball of wax.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
It was thought Morris Morris would be cut before the season. He wasn't and played well with his opportunities. Being a Holmgren guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually let go this time around. Could manage some Chester Taylor type success elsewhere.

Dunno about Mo Mo. He's had hundreds of chances in Seattle so it would be tough for me to imagine success anywhere else.

I think he's got two years left on his contract but what are the thoughts of Mewelde Moore? He showed the stuff to be the number one guy and next year's backfield is going to be crowded with Fast Willie, Mendenhal, and Moore.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Interesting. The more I dig the more the Pittsburgh runningback situation becomes something to watch.

• Mendenhall is locked up with a long term contract.
  • Willie Parker becomes a free agent in 2010 and looks to earn $3.35m in 2009
  • Mewelde Moore becomes a free agent in 2011 and looks to earn $1.47M in 2009 & 2010
It would seem that Parker may be a decent option for a trade. $3.5m isn't all that bad for a starter. He could command great value because I believe the Steelers are under the salary cap and would be in no rush to move him.

Arctic Dawgs

Not 100% sure, but I believe he is a FA this year

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Ram is spot on with his assessment of the Pitt situation.

Question then becomes....who would the trade suitors be? I doubt the Steelers would trade Parker to an AFC rival like New England. I can't think of an NFC contender that would need his services.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Bengals are in the worst runningback situation IMO but there ain't no way Parker goes to the Bungles. The Broncos could do worse than bring in Fast Willie.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing

Why? He's been IR before. He knows the drill. :cunning:

Seriously, the Donkos need a runningback and right now they don't have one on the roster. Parker could put up numbers like Portis did before he got on the juice.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Why? He's been IR before. He knows the drill. :cunning:

Seriously, the Donkos need a runningback and right now they don't have one on the roster. Parker could put up numbers like Portis did before he got on the juice.

No he can't. Pass.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
I'm not trying to sell you on him but he put up 3 straight years of 1,200-1,400 yards.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Denver is already sitting on what, 7 runningbacks? I would think the new guy would look at down sizing