What is the most important component of a defense?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
All starts up front! A killer D-line makes everything easier......DB's look better with more pressure on the QB and LB's look better with the big boys upfront eating up the blocks!

SC#20

Dominator!
I agree, but strong secondary is a killer. Look at the Ravens, there front 7 makes there secondary look real good, with there great pash rush, forcing QBs to make bad throws. So I guess I agree, defensive line, linebackers are the key.

But then again, can you have a great defense without a defensive genius?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Interesting. Guess the question is could someone take Rex Ryan's Ravens and do the same things. I dont think so. Spagnuolo, Ryan, Rivera, Kiffin. Four titans of defense.

An argument for that would be the Chargers of 2008. Under Ted Cottrell the sucked. Under Ron Rivera they became a real unit again.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Interesting. Guess the question is could someone take Rex Ryan's Ravens and do the same things.
Marvin Lewis did more with the Ravens prior to Ryan....so yeah. And I'm not so sure Lewis is the Defensive mind he was made out to be.....bottom line is exceptional players can make a defensive coach look a lot smarter than he is....Same with amazing offensive players can make an offensive coach look a lot smarter than he is.

Coaching is defiantly important, but I think a tremendous DLine is more important.

Arctic Dawgs

Coordinator? D Line? An outstanding strong safety? Killer LB?

You have to consider Oline in this as well. I don't care how good the D is. If they spend the whole game on the field trying to defend 40yds of field they will only be considered good for fantasy purposes in IDP leagues

Mike

Administrator
The defensive line is clearly the most important part of the defense. Constant pressure from the defensive line causes plays to be rushed and passes to be less effective. Makes it easier on the secondary. With the NFL rules favoring the offensive players more and more every year for the sake of high scoring, the secondary needs all the help they can get from the guys up front.

If the defensive line isn't getting the pressure regularly, and stopping the running lanes, then you have to fill gaps and bring pressure to the QB via linebackers and the secondary. As soon as you are forced to do this via blitz packages on a regular basis, a good quarterback is going to find open receivers in the short passing game.

3-4 defense, you obviously include the OLB positions when you talk about the Defensive line and getting pressure

A great linebacker (aka Ray Lewis) can change the rules here because his instincts are so great and his ability is so great that he can cover for any flaw that may develop on the defensive line, and still manage to maintain his area behind the line by simply reading what is coming and reacting to is with superhuman ability.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
The defensive line is clearly the most important part of the defense. Constant pressure from the defensive line causes plays to be rushed and passes to be less effective. Makes it easier on the secondary. With the NFL rules favoring the offensive players more and more every year for the sake of high scoring, the secondary needs all the help they can get from the guys up front.

Bronco fans and Ray Lewis would agree.

Also a defense shouldn't save all their penalties for the fourth quarter and overtime. Its a TIP!@#

Runnik's Hambones

This is a loaded question that requires a bit of a break down. It completely depends on the scheme, and in some cases I don't think that it is as clear as some of the answers given. IMO, the most important thing for a defense is probably the most basic: tackling.

Tackling is something that is being skipped over here, perhaps because of its simplicity. Maybe you all are looking at tackling as a given, something that you are assuming is already present in the defense. The reason I will claim it to be the most important thing, is because the best running backs in the league make defenders miss. If you can tackle surely, your defense can build around that.

The next thing you must look at is scheme; the type of defense. I find that once you have a scheme in place, the next most important thing is also simple, however at this point it differs at positions. Lets start with a 3-4 defense, and I can agree that the most important position on the field, can be found up front in any scheme. If you are running a 3-4, strength is key. You need a nose tackle that can battle with double teams, and win 80% of the time. This will require a lot of strength and stamina. In a 4-3 defense, you need players who are perhaps not as strong, but who are quick. They need to be strong enough to fight off double teams (although they will likely not see as much as a nose tackle in a 3-4), but that can get to the QB as quickly as possible, rather than relying on blitzing linebackers.

In a 3-4 defense, you'll need at least 1 linebacker that could double as a DE in a 4-3 defense. You'll likely be blitzing this guy all year long. Obviously this defense allows for a variety of looks as far as blitzes, using all 4 linebackers. In a 4-3 defense, you want linebackers that can simply cover their gaps. It becomes most important that they stick to their gaps, and clog the hell out of them. There will likely not be as much blitzing with 4 down linemen, so you need linebackers that are fast and sure tacklers.

DBs need to also be great tacklers. They will likely be the savers when it comes to this, seeing as they are the secondary. As far as pass coverage, I like DBs that don't loose sight of their man. More than defending passes and interceptions, I like a DB that makes the QB hold on to the ball, while the DL can get in the QBs face. So, pass coverage, being also simple, is the most important thing next to open field tackles for DBs.