Utah Utes: National Champions

Does Utah deserve the AP National Championship?

• Total voters

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
An interesting rant on the Utah Utes. I fully expect a split national championship with Florida/OU getting the BCS cookie and Utah winning the AP.

Some gifts people give are pointless: Styling mousse to Dick Vitale. An all-you-can-eat card to Kate Moss. The BCS Championship given to Oklahoma or Florida.

It means nothing because the BCS has no credibility. Florida? Oklahoma? Who cares? Utah is the national champion.

The End. Roll credits.

Argue with this, please. I beg you. Find me anybody else that went undefeated. Thirteen-and-zero. Beat four ranked teams. Went to the Deep South and seal-clubbed Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. The same Alabama that was ranked No. 1 for five weeks. The same Alabama that went undefeated in the regular season. The same Alabama that Florida beat in order to get INTO the BCS Championship game in the first place.

Yeah, that's how it is now in the shameful, money-grubbing world of college football. If you're Florida and you beat Alabama, you get a seat in the title game. If you're Utah, you get a seat on your sofa.

ESPN Life of Reilly

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
This was a great read! Reilly continues to knock it out of the park with common sense....he may have just convinced me...

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Many of our fans who have not yet registered have voted in favor of Utah. Feel free to register guys and gals and voice your opinion.

dukdown

Banned
I know it's all a moot point at this point, but think Alabama has a different experience in that game if Andre Smith had played. Utah played a perfect game against a team that really got caught looking past them. Plus, the dome surface was perfect for Utah. Anyways, as impressive as their win was, still feel that Florida and USC are the two best teams.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I understand your points, but time and time again we make excuses for these power schools when they lose.

In the SEC title game we learned Florida, coming from behind, was 11 points better than Alabama on a neutral field with a week to prepare.

In the Sugar Bowl, we learned Utah was 14 points better than Alabama on a neutral field with a month to prepare, and hence led the entire game while giving up size across the board.

Obviously tonight we learned Oklahoma was better than you thought, and Florida was 10 points better on a neutral field than Oklahoma, without starting RB DeMarco Murray and starting DT DeMarcus Granger, and with a month to prepare.

October 11, 2008, we learned that Texas is 10 points better than Oklahoma on a neutral field with all components intact, and scored nearly twice the points to boot.

What we will never learn is what would have happened had both of these teams who were 10 points better than Oklahoma on a neutral field had met.

We will never learn if Utah, who was better against Alabama than Florida was, could beat Florida OR Texas on a neutral field.

We will never learn if USC was better than all of them. All we know is USC got beat by Oregon State, who was beaten by Utah, who got smoked by Penn State (Oregon State), who beat Ohio State, who in turn was beaten by Texas, and after USC beat Penn State.

The answer is simply a playoff, but then again is not so simple as its something we dont have. In lieu of having the playoff, we have to go back to this round robin mess I've laid out above.

Four teams have claims to the national championship. Florida, Texas, USC, and Utah. Of those teams, only Texas did not win a conference championship, despite beating both title game participants by double digits. Florida lost to Ole Miss, who beat Texas Tech, who beat Texas. Utah beat TCU, who lost to Oklahoma, who lost to Florida and Texas. USC lost to Oregon State. Utah beat Oregon State

In this whole mess of who beat who, many teams can claim some of the following, but only one team can claim all of the following:

An undefeated season
Wins over two teams who will finish in the Top Ten
A conference championship
A wire to wire victory over its BCS opponent
Wins over four ranked teams
Wins over six bowl teams

That team would be the Utah Utes. In a whirl wind of who beat who and what did what and this was missing and they overlooked this and didn't think about that the resume speaks for itself. Utah has a legitimate claim to the national championship and should be named the AP National Champion.

Bubba

Why just one national champion? Why not a champ in each of several different classes, just like high school. Divide the schools up by enrollment, play the season, take the top eight of each class and use the current bowls as a playoff system.

Hollywoodnash

TO THE DEATH
There was a time when the phrase undefeated equaled national champions. USC claims a national title when they went undefeated and were left out of the BCS national title game. How is Utah's situation any different? The big difference here is that they were the only undefeated team left when all was said and done.

Forget the history. You can't crown a national champion based on the history of the program. If that's how it is done, then drop the other 100 apparently irrelevant teams and let the historical powerhouses go at it over the course of the season. The other 100 teams can form their own league and have a playoff system like every other level of football has.

Mike

Administrator
I voted yes. Not because I think they deserve to be the National Champions, but because they deserve a shot to play for it.

But does it really matter? no. Why? because fans don't really care enough to make it happen. They hoot and holler for a playoff all year long, then quickly get corralled in front of their televisions like sheep as soon as the BCS bowl games come on, and walk away trying to convince themselves they just watched a National Championship Game, which they clearly didn't.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
and with every anti BCS rant I become more of a fan ;) I don't want to lose the entertainment from the aftermath :biglaugh:

bodey24

Staff member
People want to have a playoff system, but we don't have one so therefore we have to live with what we have. People aren't just going to stop watching the biggest bowl game of the year because they don't agree with the system we have.

Mike

Administrator
Might want to double check that.

BCS TV ratings have been going down.

Last year, LSU/Ohio State brought the 3rd lowest TV ratings since the BCS arrived, and the overall BCS ratings continued to drop.

This year, overall BCS ratings went up a point while attendance fell. TV ratings didn't go up across the board though, the upward rating was only because of a 35% increase in viewing for the the Fiesta Bowl (Ohio St/Texas)

This year's BCS title game - The lowest in BCS history.

Barking Carnival Blog Archive BCS TV Ratings Up: Attendance Down