Trey Lance??

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Quite honestly, it would not surprise me if they tried to trade Lance, that being said they won't get half of what they gave up to take him.

Not sure Tenn. is the best place for him either, would rather see Lamar Jackson there. 😇

Remote Controller

Quite honestly, it would not surprise me if they tried to trade Lance, that being said they won't get half of what they gave up to take him.

Not sure Tenn. is the best place for him either, would rather see Lamar Jackson there. 😇
Henry and Jackson would be a potent rushing attack. lol!

Phicinfan

Administrator
I find it hard to believe they will cut ties with Lance for a QB that was the last pick in the draft... unless they want Brady or some such

efactor

Coming at you
Check again, reports out now Purdy to start 2023 and future of Trey Lance is unknown.
LOl. Mike Silver from the SF Chronicle saying that he talked to two people "with knowledge of the organizations plans" who say Purdy will be the starter next year.

For one thing, Silver is a hack. The Chronicle is frustrated because since Shanahan/Lynch have come on board, they have shut down leaks and they miss the days of Balkke/Jeb. Most people can specualte at this point that unless he falls on his face, Purdy will be the starter next year. Of course he will be. Shanahan will play the best player and unless Lance takes a bigfoot type step forward, Purdy is not being demoted. But Lance won't be traded for the current BS talk of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He has an 11 million dollar cap hit if traded and Shanahan has learned the hard way that you need a strong back-up QB. Lance is only 22. They are not giving him away.

Phicinfan

Administrator
LOl. Mike Silver from the SF Chronicle saying that he talked to two people "with knowledge of the organizations plans" who say Purdy will be the starter next year.

For one thing, Silver is a hack. The Chronicle is frustrated because since Shanahan/Lynch have come on board, they have shut down leaks and they miss the days of Balkke/Jeb. Most people can specualte at this point that unless he falls on his face, Purdy will be the starter next year. Of course he will be. Shanahan will play the best player and unless Lance takes a bigfoot type step forward, Purdy is not being demoted. But Lance won't be traded for the current BS talk of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He has an 11 million dollar cap hit if traded and Shanahan has learned the hard way that you need a strong back-up QB. Lance is only 22. They are not giving him away.
Nor should they

hikeNbike

Think they have to wait for Purdy to be sure he is healthy unless they have something big up their sleeves. But I don't know if I was San Francisco I'd seriously think about trading Lance. He feels a few years away if he develops and the team is built to win now not in a few years.i wonder if they'd consider trading for Lamar Jackson. Something like Lance and 2 first rounders for Lamar Jackson. Seems like Lamar would be wicked in that running system. Will preface this by saying I have no idea on the cap situation and if this is even remotely possible, but football wise how would you stop that offense?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Think they have to wait for Purdy to be sure he is healthy unless they have something big up their sleeves. But I don't know if I was San Francisco I'd seriously think about trading Lance. He feels a few years away if he develops and the team is built to win now not in a few years.i wonder if they'd consider trading for Lamar Jackson. Something like Lance and 2 first rounders for Lamar Jackson. Seems like Lamar would be wicked in that running system. Will preface this by saying I have no idea on the cap situation and if this is even remotely possible, but football wise how would you stop that offense?
Well, first they don't have to trade Lance. He is very cheap on his rookie deal, and even has the shot of a 5th year option year if he shows real growth. This is actually a great situation for SF if both show out. They just signed Sam Darnold to be body guard until Purdy is fully healthy. Let Lance play, if he plays well, you can always deal Purdy(who doesn't have the 5th year option) and get value for the situation. But I don't see either moving anywhere this year, nor next unless they can prove both out. But reports had them fully planning on starting Purdy this year if he was healthy.

efactor

Coming at you

49ers aren't trading for Lamar. They finally have 1st rounders again next year so not giving up draft capital and paying 45 million for a guy who has limitations as a QB passing the ball.

As far as Lance goes, they aren't going to trade him since the return probably would be pretty low at this point. Let him play until Purdy is ready. Hopefully he plays so well that Purdy doesn't see the field this year unless there is an injury. Then you can look at trading one or the other if you can get a haul.

The entire 49er QB room including Darnold is 15 million this year. That's a beautiful thing

hikeNbike

Do you think Lamar would elevate them? I feel like with Lamar they'd be Super bowl favorites. Yes it's possible that his salary would limit future acquisitions down the road, but they have a top d, they have playmakers all over the field on offense that are in their prime now, if it takes Lance 2 or 3 seasons to develop won't the rest of their team be aging? Feels like they could get Lamar now win next two super bowls, then figure things out later with 2 more trophies on the mantle.

Again I get it probably not going to happen but I think it would be a super fun scenario and lots of fantasy points to be had, which I know isn't ownerships goal but as a fan I think it would be entertaining.

efactor

Coming at you
Lance is an unknown but paying 45K for a QB hurts them and Lamar still isn’t a consistently good passer. If Purdy wasn’t part of the equation I would be more skeptical of Lance being the guy to lead them to a Super Bowl. They couldn’t have expected Lance to just step in and be the man when they drafted him with just one year of division 2 experience. In hope they weren’t that delusional anyway. He needs to play. Now is a good time.

Walter34

What’s the latest on Purdy’s injury? Last I heard is he would be out for most of the off season, so Lance will get all the first team reps for the summer. Likely lance starts with Darnold just there as insurance because they need an upgrade at 3rd string given the health of the top 2.

lance will have a short leash though once Purdue is ready to go.

Phicinfan

Administrator
What’s the latest on Purdy’s injury? Last I heard is he would be out for most of the off season, so Lance will get all the first team reps for the summer. Likely lance starts with Darnold just there as insurance because they need an upgrade at 3rd string given the health of the top 2.

lance will have a short leash though once Purdue is ready to go.
Purdy had his surgery and did NOT need Tommy John, so expectation is 3-4 months and he will start throwing again. So I doubt he is ready by week 1, probably might start on IR and be available post week 6 - but that is just my opinion there.