SO GM Mock Draft #2 Discussion Thread

Runnik's Hambones

With NY's pick there at the end of the 3rd, I didn't have to go RB because that was selected earlier in the round. The other thoughts were LB and C. I decided that a safety at the end of the 3rd had good value for what NY needed. So far, they had a really good draft.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for helping out with this draft and participating. You were all very good sports and you helped this draft move quickly. Great conversation on the discussion thread. This was a lot of fun. Thanks.

bobbeaux

Interesting, Scaife doesn't ring a bell whatsoever. I don't remember him one bit. I mean, I know who he is, but I don't remember hearing his name at all last season.

that's because the rb's in tenn make all the noise . . . lol . . . scaife didn't score many td's, but was very good at moving the chains in tenn's short passing game . . . ;)

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i was awfully curious about that too. i wanted to take him time and again, but every team i picked for was all set at free safety.

Arctic Dawgs

He'd have got a very long look from Seattle in rd 4. The WR they have been looking quite hard at can be had in rd 5 or 6

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Both our draft exercises definitely proved 2 things to me.

1. David Bruton seems to be extremely popular.

2. This may be the deepest draft, position-wide (minus QB), in recent memory.

Although there were probably a few "reaches" in the 2nd/3rd rounds, there are some extremely high quality guys that will be available on the 2nd day that aren't what I would consider huge dropoffs from some consensus 1st rounders. Some examples: The aforementioned Rashad Johnson, Alabama.. is he really THAT much of a step down from Malcolm Jenkins (assuming Jenkins winds up playing safety)? One of my favorite players in this whole draft, Brandon Gibson, WR, Washington St... I don't see a huge gap talent-wise between him and Kenny Britt, but he'll probably go 2/3 full rounds later. Another guy I love, Sherrod Martin, CB, Troy would be a way better value in the late 3rd/early 4th than Vontae Davis would in the first. As much as I love Alex Mack, if Pittsburgh went elsewhere in the 1st and got a John Luigs, C, Arkansas in the 3rd round instead, I can't say I'd be all that upset.

In the nutshell, when we look back on the '09 draft in 3 years, I'll bet there's more middle rounders playing significant roles for their team than in any draft over the past decade, at least. And both of our member mocks really solidified my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: