Ryan Mathews vs Mike Tolbert

Runnik's Hambones

We all know the deal here. Both players did well when they were in, but it leaves us with an interesting question coming into the 2011 season. Which one do you pick?

Ryan Mathews - 158 Att, 678 yds, 4.3 avg, 7 TD, 5 FUM

Mike Tolbert - 182 Att, 735 yds, 4.0 avg, 11 TD, 5 FUM

Obviously Ryan Mathews' injury did him in last year as far as being the work horse. When Tolbert got his chance, he killed it! With that said, Mathews is still the better true runner, showing that off with the higher average that he posted. Tolbert stole a lot of GL carries and found the endzone a lot, putting him higher on the FP list.

As it is Mathews' has an ADP in the late 3rd round for 12 team leagues, and Tolbert is early 10th. This would allow Mathews' owners to grab Tolbert as security.

Do you like one over the other? Would you try and grab them both? Or do you stay away?

cctekguy

Staff member
I've had it in my head for some time now that Mathews would become a "must start" this year but it's really more situational than statistical. I've also had it in my head that I could get him later than the third round.

I don't think I'd give a 3 for Mathews but would really like to have him.

A 10 for Tolbert sounds reasonable even without Mathews, so I guess the short answer is Tolbert in the 10th.

Runnik's Hambones

FFC has Mathews going as high as 2.06 and as late as 5.07. ADP is currently at 3.11, so getting him in the 4th is a definite possibility.

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
Personally, I chose Tolbert every time. His quality of running, his shucks and dives and bulldozes through coverage are more fearless and natural than the NFL version of Mathews. I'd grab Tolbert over Mathews despite the ADP difference. Mathews has yet to fully become a man on the field and I'd roll the dice with 2 tons of confidence over an injury prone college hero who's still finding his feet.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I agree with RZR, especially since news is out Matthews came in out of shape, failed his position test and now has a bad toe. This looks like a bad draft pick for SD. Fortunately they have a Tolbert to rely on.