Rumor/ Pats QB Cassel to the Chiefs???

Coachnorm

You may have seen the short discussion in the chatbox. It was an ESPN Insider rumor that I didn't have access to. While I don't think any rumor about Cassels' status at this point has a lot of weight at this point of the offseason it probably bears some discussion. From what I have read around is that the Pats are hoping to maybe get a first round pick for Cassel. Translation: Probably will settle for a second rounder plus a second day pick.

A trade this early leaves a big hole in there Backup QB situtaion. How is Tom Bradys recovery doing? We have the potential of Cassel getting a franchise tag. This is a big bucks option. Now KC could trade Croyle or Thigpen to the Pats to be a backup. This sort of senerio could speed things up as far as deals go. Otherwise, finding a backup may take awhile as one may have to be drafted which would likely make moving Cassel be closer to or a draft day deal.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
To me this begs the question. Is it the Qbs...or is it the system?

Would Brady be Brady in another offense?
Is Cassell the Cassell everyone thinks...or was it the system and tools he was given?

Is Bellichick smart enough to realize this and capitalize?

NE has another young Qb they drafted last year or year before I believe. If he can turn Cassell around for another first rounder...and maybe an additional pick...that would be great.

I am just not sold on Cassell. I think you get him out of that system...and he isn't all that. Just a gut feeling though.

Runnik's Hambones

I wrote a post about Cassel's possible production in NE if he were to take the reigns next year or soon. I think that Cassel has the opportunity to become a great NFL QB, if he were to stay in NE. If he leaves, he can be good, but not great. So it is a system thing.

There's another question here too, about KC. They now have Pioli, a NE guy, at GM. Herm Edwards was fired and they still do not have a HC. What if they continue to grab people from the Billicheat sideline? It would be possible that KC begins running the same offense as NE does. This could benefit Cassel if he were traded.

Again, somewhere else, I think Cassel can be good, not great.