Rodgers

Remote Controller

Green Bay is calling Rodger's bluff - per a report in the Athletic.com(per PFT) - GM has stated the team will NOT trade him, and are not convinced he won't play for them ever again.

It's all on Rodgers now - he has stayed away from voluntary OTA's.
This also positions the Pack to receive a bit more for him.

Remote Controller

Not if he sits out. If he sits out, his value will drop as teams will KNOW GB has to deal. That really is the last card Rodgers can play
agreed....this was the last card Green Bay had to drive up the price, he's going no where. I just want him gone. This will seal his fate with Packer nation if he purposely hurts the team in this way.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Rodgers is skipping mandatory camp - looks like he is also calling GB's bluff..

Remote Controller

James Jones was on the talk radio circuit spewing crap for Rodgers yesterday. "Aaron doesn't want the GM fired, Aaron can't control who the team drafts. Aaron just want's input on guys they push out the door."

Phicinfan

Administrator
Just a fun FYI - PFT has an article out that says Rodgers could go opting out for Covid, if he did this he would not have to pay back the bonus, and would still be awarded his bonuses for this season they think.
Deadline is July

Fun

Walter34

If he did that he would definitely lose the good guy status in the negotiations, taking advantage of loopholes to screw the pack out of $. I of course don't care and hope this actually turns into a long term battle / sit out situation that screws the pack for the whole season.

Phicinfan

Administrator
ESPN just reported that Aaron Rodgers turned down a contract offer this off-season that would have made him highest paying Qb

Remote Controller

Packers | Aaron Rodgers wants out or deal shortened Fri Jul 23, 10:28 AM

Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers wants to be traded or have years taken off of his contract that includes three seasons at $33.5 million per year, according to an NFC personnel executive. 'He wants to get some sort of deal done,' an NFC personnel executive said. 'But, he wants years off his deal, so he can pull a Tom Brady and be the next guy to try to go elsewhere to win a championship.'

efactor

Coming at you
Rumors now that he will announce his retirement by Wednesday

Hard to believe he would walk away at this point. Looks like a game of chicken IMO. But the guy is just weird enough to do it if GB doesn’t trade him.

Stay tuned

Phicinfan

Administrator
Rumors now that he will announce his retirement by Wednesday

Hard to believe he would walk away at this point. Looks like a game of chicken IMO. But the guy is just weird enough to do it if GB doesn’t trade him.

Stay tuned
Not walking away per say. He drew a line for GB. Trade me, reduce my contract by 3 years, or I retire for one year, void the contract and be next Tom Brady. Quite honestly he has played this very well. GB gets screwed cap wise if they play hard ball

efactor

Coming at you
Not walking away per say. He drew a line for GB. Trade me, reduce my contract by 3 years, or I retire for one year, void the contract and be next Tom Brady. Quite honestly he has played this very well. GB gets screwed cap wise if they play hard ball
How does he void the contract by retiring? My understanding is the team still owns his rights, ala Calvin Johnson

Phicinfan

Administrator
How does he void the contract by retiring? My understanding is the team still owns his rights, ala Calvin Johnson
Just like Gronk, the cap hit gets accelerated if he comes back, and Packers are just as cap strapped as Patriots were

Phicinfan

Administrator
Not to mention he can just stay out and keep threatening to return so they have to protect for that cap hit

Phicinfan

Administrator
Then he won’t play period If GB decides to play hardball.
They could, issue is they would have to maintain the cap space even though he isn’t back. Otherwise it’s cap hell and urgent cuts, again as Gronk levered with Patriots. Potentially they could but it will cripple what they could do.

efactor

Coming at you
They could, issue is they would have to maintain the cap space even though he isn’t back. Otherwise it’s cap hell and urgent cuts, again as Gronk levered with Patriots. Potentially they could but it will cripple what they could do.
You keep bringing up Gronk. Difference is the Patriots didn’t care if he left at that point. They knew they needed to rebuild a bit. big difference here.

That said, the relationship is so fractured, GB should just take the best trade available for them. Lost cause at this point.

Phicinfan

Administrator
You keep bringing up Gronk. Difference is the Patriots didn’t care if he left at that point. They knew they needed to rebuild a bit. big difference here.

That said, the relationship is so fractured, GB should just take the best trade available for them. Lost cause at this point.
Rogers also walking away from big dollars.... per PFT report:
Rodgers has kept his card close to the vest. A retirement for 2021 would make sense, since it would help him avoid up to $2 million in fines for holding out of training camp. However, he’d still lose a $6.8 million roster bonus earned in March and payable each week of the 2021 regular season. He’d also be subject to repayment of $11.5 million in unearned signing bonus money for 2021. (Some believe the Packers would never try to collect, or successfully recover, the $11.5 million.)

He then could unretire in 2022, with the Packers trading him and Rodgers resuming his career.