Phic's week 3 observations...

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This was the week to see what the teams could expect from young Qbs taking over. I have to say, this league might have finally gotten over the dearth of value at QB.

Pittsburgh - Mason Rudolph had a very rough start, and his team and thier inability to run wasn't helping. But he looked very solid in the second half and almost got Pittsburgh to its first win. I have to say this team really intrigues me. Big Ben has an elbow injury. We have no idea, at least none I have seen, on what that injury was. What we do know is he is NOT having Tommy John surgery and he IS out all year. He just signed a fairly large extension this year.... That being said he was not hit nor was this injury due to contact that anyone has seen. So with Pittsburgh having traded away their first round pick...this is basically an audition for Rudolph.

Jacksonville - I wonder if Foles is feeling his past repeating itself? He gets signed to be the starter, and then gets dinged up, and behold the Stache is there to show off and make the offense click. I am an Eagles fan, and I said time and time again, NO ONE should sign Foles to a big FA contract. He is a system Qb, and that system is in KC and Philly and now Chicago. He cannot carry a team, and quite frankly Jax needs someone who can. Not saying I am all in on Minshew. But am saying this is a great situation for them as he is at least a solid back up at a great price to protect when Foles gets hurt.

New York Giants - This went pretty much like Pittsburgh, but with a different outcome. Jones did will his team to a win. It wasn't always pretty, but considering he lost his best player to injury, and was still limited with targets due to suspensions, he did a damn fine job. They will soon get Golden Tate back, which will make him even better. But they have to go out and get a better Rb than Gallman. Or they are going to get this kid killed. Still Jones really did look like the future is great in Giants land.

Carolina - Hey Panthers fans, did you see what happens when you have a Qb who can throw deep and move around? You make Run CMC better and he goes off, and you also make those young solid Wrs look like gold. Oh, and lets throw in some love for the Old guy at TE in Olsen. I don't think Kyle Allen will replace Cam Newton for good. I do think Cam has to prove his shoulder IS fixed. I am not buying all the issues were due to his foot. That being said, Carolina has found a solid Back up Qb, who can win a few games if/when Cam is not up to playing. He also has a 2nd shot to prove it as Cam is out again this week. Still, it is again great to see some teams with real depth at Qb.

News flash folks - Buffalo and Detroit are for real. This isn't a mirage, they have decent defenses, and they can run and pass. Are they playoff bound - no I don't think so. But I would not be surprised to see Buffalo make a wild card this year. I would love to put the 49ers here as well, but I am not feeling it yet. Rb is a mess and Jimmy G is not making this look easy or great.

That being said, for those who thought Indy was screwed... Take a look. Brissett is not Luck, but he is decent and with the tools they have he can win. With T.Y. Hilton hurt though, he needs the rookie Wrs to step up, and Ebron and Doyle to be real Tes consistently.

Minnesota would love to know where the real Kirk Cousins is, and could the aliens please come back and take this guy they left.

I wonder how much longer Elway has left in Denver??? The former Qb can't find a decent Qb to save his life.
I also wonder if Jon Gruden will hire Jay Gruden to his staff once Jay gets fired by Washington. It is coming....

Speaking of that, we are three weeks in so lets start the hot seat for Head Coaches.
Washington takes the lead - by Jay Gruden!

Gonna laugh if NYJ get the first pick in the draft, instead of Miami. Just saying...

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well its not like they could run it in either, they had NO running game all game

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
4 pass attempts at the goal failed earlier. They got the loss they deserved trying to pad big head's stats. As an Eagle fan I couldn't be happier.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Of course I was a little saddened when Jamaal went down on his first carry likely sinking me in a league. Jones was way, way over rated behind that line. When your QB is Rodgers and he leads the team in rushing that is not a good thing.