Phicinfan's 2020 Mock Draft 1 - the safer version

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
So, again, I am no expert, but have been studying FA moves, trades and latest mock drafts from multiple sites, so I think I have a feeling what most feel will happen. I will say, if I get time, I plan to do one where I do what "I" think should happen, including trades and such. I will put trades here, as I do expect there to be movement due to the Qbs.

2020 Mock Draft:
1) Cincinnati - Joe Burrows Qb LSU - this is to me a lock. Now, if I were Cincinnati, I would deal this pick in an instant if someone came up with multiple 1st round picks. Not sure anyone would though. So I think this is a stone cold lock. Regardless of if it is Cincinnati or a Trade.
2) Washington - Chase Young DE Ohio State - this and the next four picks will define this draft. Miami, Los Angeles Chargers, Jacksonville, New England, Detroit are in dire need of the future Qb, I will add Washington could fit here, Tampa Bay(even post Brady signing), you might put New Orleans here, but they have Brees for 2 years and seem really high on T. Hill. All that being said, it comes down to two things. Do NFL teams say like Miami feel Washington is all in on Haskins, AND is Detroit wanting the future ready for when Stafford is done. If you feel its yes to both, then you stand pat. Maybe deal with Giants. If you answer No to either one, then you have to trade in here. I for one feel Washington is okay with Haskins, and with a defensive minded HC, I think you simple can't pass on a dominant pass rusher. This and the signings in FA makes Washington very competetive.
3) Detroit - Jeff Okudah Cb Ohio State - This comes down to one thing. $$ Detroit decides they want Tua for the future, OR someone like LA Chargers want Tua and feel Detroit is wavering. Otherwise with the deal of Darius Slay to Philly in a trade this is just too good a fit. While I do think Miami REALLY wants Tua, I think they feel they are safe here, as Okudah is a perfect need for Detroit.
4) NY Giants - Trade - Los Angeles Chargers - Tua Tagovailoa Qb Alabama - This will be Miami's worst fear. LA NEEDS a new Qb of the future, moving to their new home, and trying to bring in the fans, they need a statement. They might need to move into the #3 spot. But to me the ONLY way they don't make this trade, is the fact that they like Hebert or Love more. Neither of which I have heard. This also majorly screws Miami.
5) Miami - Tristan Wirfs OT Iowa - Miami has to pivot here, they could trade down, but I don't see a transitional player that a team would deal up for, not even Hebert. OT is a major, major need for Miami, and I think with Tua gone, they work on continuing to fix the lines for whoever the future holds for.
6) NY Giants - from previous trade with LAC - Isaiah Simmons OLB Clemson - OT or Cb would have been a solid fit here, but I think they want their next Def. leader. Will go with the next top defensive player and continue to rebuild this team.
7) Carolina - Derrick Brown DT Auburn - again a no brainer here, with the losses they took on DL and the fact they addressed Qb with Bridgewater and Walker FA signings, they can now rebuild a defense that has a ton of holes, with the best DL in this draft.
8) Arizona - Mekhi Becton OT Louisville - With Hopkins gotten and Drake tendered they have to address the elephant in the room that is that awful OL. Kyler can make room for himself, but he HAS to have more protection to use the tools he now has.
9) Jacksonville - SHOCK PICK - Jordan Love Qb Utah State - Yep, this will shock a ton of folks. But lets be clear here, Jags have needed a franchise Qb forever, and they have tried to go the way of FA covers and failed. Sure they could get Cam, or they could wait for Cincy to dump Dalton, but neither are franchise Qbs anymore IMO. As for Qbs in this draft, I really, really...no REALLY love Love. He has a cannon for an arm, he can make all the throws and he has learned to persevere with bad talent like last year in Utah State. This also will screw with many plans later in the draft for teams like NE and others IMO.
10) Cleveland - Jedrick Wills Jr OT Alabama - Offensive minded coach that wants to run the ball and protect his Qb. He has the offensive tools but needs more solidity to the line. Yes I know they signed Conklin in FA, but this will be new HC doubling down to get this team scoring pts which it desperately needs.
11) New York Jets - Trade - San Francisco - Javon Kinlaw DT South Carolina - With the deal 49ers made with Indy to get teh #13 pick, they can now move up to get the DT to replace Buckner with a younger cheaper version of him. I know most feel Wr is a bigger need, but SF was in the superbowl due to it's defense and needs to maintain that edge.
12) Las Vegas - C. J. Henderson Cb Florida - I would LOVE to give a flashy pick here. But lets face facts, the Raiders are getting better and Chucky knows what he needs to win. One key issue on defense has been Cb. No way does Vegas have the trade capital to get up to get Okudah, so they stay pat and get the next bet corner in Henderson. Wr is a real option here as well, but not Qb as surprising as that may seem.
13) NY Jets - from previous trade with SF - Jerry Jeudy Wr Alabama - its time to give their franchise Qb some real help here. He has been hindered by lousy OL and lousy tools. Assuming they will re-sign Anderson, pairing him with Jeudy plus Te Griffen gives Sam Darnold real tools to work with. Now if they can get Le'Veon Bell back to form, this team will have some real help here.
14) Tampa Bay - Andrew Thomas OT Georgia - this is clearly a protect Brady move. He is as mobile as a brick, but he has tons of tools to work with. I would not be shocked to see a trade down, to get more picks, and maybe snag a Rb, but you don't have to draft Rbs in the first round. But you do need to keep Brady upright to throw to Evans, Godwin and co.
15) Denver - CeeDee Lamb Wr Oklahoma - time to invest in more help for Lock. With Courtland Sutland on one side and Lamb on the other you have two great Wrs to work with along with Gordon and Rb crew. This will give Lock some real tools to work with and develop with. OT is another major issue, but you can get OL help later.
16) Atlanta - Trevon Diggs Cb Alabama - dire need with the cuts they made in FA, with the signing of Fowler, OLB is not as dire a need as Cb now.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
17) Dallas - K'Lavon Chaisson DE LSU - need to replace the pass rush lost by Quinn, and Chaisson will help defense shut down opposition.
18) Miami - Justin Hebert Qb Oregon - and Boom, Miami didn't get their first choice of Qb, but they also didn't have to sell the farm to move up to get Tua either. Hebert, later in the round is a solid fit, he is big, mobile and can throw, and they can groom him behind Fitzgerald.
19) Las Vegas(from CHI) - Henry Ruggs III Wr Alabama - They got the Cb they needed, now for the Wr speed they desperately need on that offense.
20) Jacksonville - Kristian Fulton Cb LSU - Need to replace the pieces they have lost in the secondary, and this is a kid who can play rough one on one coverage that they like.
21) Philadelphia - Justin Jefferson Wr LSU - They need outside tools to help Wentz, not sure if they will keep Jeffery and Jackson or not, so an influx of real Wr talent is a must here.
22) Minnesota - Noah Igbinoghene Cb Auburn - Lost all three starting Cbs in FA or by release - so this is a dire need
23) New England - Zach Baun OLB Wisconsin - lost all starting Lbs to FA(seems alot of folks leaving a sinking ship....) and he is a solid OLB
24) New Orleans - A. J. Terrell Cb Clemson - was seriously looking Wr here, but with the signing of Emmanuel Sanders that dire need has passed. Loss of Apple and the fact Janoris Jenkins isn't all that means Cb is a real need.
25) Minnesota - Tee Higgins Wr Tennessee - Need to replace Diggs, and I am not sold on who they have currently.
26) Miami - D'Andre Swift Rb Georgia - Yes, they just signed Howard, but they need Rb of the future, to help rebuild this offense. Wr could be an option as well, but the depth at Wr in this draft is really high.
27) Seattle - Yetur Gross-Matos DE Penn State - Clowney is still loose in FA, but I don't think they sign him to a long deal, and this kid will be solid in their system.
28) Baltimore - Patrick Queen ILB LSU - Fills need of loss of C.J. Mosely - and will only make this defense even better.
29) Tennessee - Josh Jones OT Houston - have to fill the loss of Conklin - and protect the investment at Qb and Rb.
30) Green Bay - Brandon Aiyuk Arizona State - None of the Wrs they currently have, really stepped up, Lazard may or may not be all that, but GB needs tools
31) San Francisco - Damon Arnette Cb Ohio State - Need a #2 Cb, and Sherman isn't getting any younger.
32) Kansas City - Cesar Ruiz C/OG Michigan - lost interior OL to FA, so the depth is needed, and this kid can play OG or C giving the team real flexibility.

Thoughts?

efactor

Coming at you
So, again, I am no expert, but have been studying FA moves, trades and latest mock drafts from multiple sites, so I think I have a feeling what most feel will happen. I will say, if I get time, I plan to do one where I do what "I" think should happen, including trades and such. I will put trades here, as I do expect there to be movement due to the Qbs.

2020 Mock Draft:
1) Cincinnati - Joe Burrows Qb LSU - this is to me a lock. Now, if I were Cincinnati, I would deal this pick in an instant if someone came up with multiple 1st round picks. Not sure anyone would though. So I think this is a stone cold lock. Regardless of if it is Cincinnati or a Trade.
2) Washington - Chase Young DE Ohio State - this and the next four picks will define this draft. Miami, Los Angeles Chargers, Jacksonville, New England, Detroit are in dire need of the future Qb, I will add Washington could fit here, Tampa Bay(even post Brady signing), you might put New Orleans here, but they have Brees for 2 years and seem really high on T. Hill. All that being said, it comes down to two things. Do NFL teams say like Miami feel Washington is all in on Haskins, AND is Detroit wanting the future ready for when Stafford is done. If you feel its yes to both, then you stand pat. Maybe deal with Giants. If you answer No to either one, then you have to trade in here. I for one feel Washington is okay with Haskins, and with a defensive minded HC, I think you simple can't pass on a dominant pass rusher. This and the signings in FA makes Washington very competetive.
3) Detroit - Jeff Okudah Cb Ohio State - This comes down to one thing. $$ Detroit decides they want Tua for the future, OR someone like LA Chargers want Tua and feel Detroit is wavering. Otherwise with the deal of Darius Slay to Philly in a trade this is just too good a fit. While I do think Miami REALLY wants Tua, I think they feel they are safe here, as Okudah is a perfect need for Detroit.
4) NY Giants - Trade - Los Angeles Chargers - Tua Tagovailoa Qb Alabama - This will be Miami's worst fear. LA NEEDS a new Qb of the future, moving to their new home, and trying to bring in the fans, they need a statement. They might need to move into the #3 spot. But to me the ONLY way they don't make this trade, is the fact that they like Hebert or Love more. Neither of which I have heard. This also majorly screws Miami.
5) Miami - Tristan Wirfs OT Iowa - Miami has to pivot here, they could trade down, but I don't see a transitional player that a team would deal up for, not even Hebert. OT is a major, major need for Miami, and I think with Tua gone, they work on continuing to fix the lines for whoever the future holds for.
6) NY Giants - from previous trade with LAC - Isaiah Simmons OLB Clemson - OT or Cb would have been a solid fit here, but I think they want their next Def. leader. Will go with the next top defensive player and continue to rebuild this team.
7) Carolina - Derrick Brown DT Auburn - again a no brainer here, with the losses they took on DL and the fact they addressed Qb with Bridgewater and Walker FA signings, they can now rebuild a defense that has a ton of holes, with the best DL in this draft.
8) Arizona - Mekhi Becton OT Louisville - With Hopkins gotten and Drake tendered they have to address the elephant in the room that is that awful OL. Kyler can make room for himself, but he HAS to have more protection to use the tools he now has.
9) Jacksonville - SHOCK PICK - Jordan Love Qb Utah State - Yep, this will shock a ton of folks. But lets be clear here, Jags have needed a franchise Qb forever, and they have tried to go the way of FA covers and failed. Sure they could get Cam, or they could wait for Cincy to dump Dalton, but neither are franchise Qbs anymore IMO. As for Qbs in this draft, I really, really...no REALLY love Love. He has a cannon for an arm, he can make all the throws and he has learned to persevere with bad talent like last year in Utah State. This also will screw with many plans later in the draft for teams like NE and others IMO.
10) Cleveland - Jedrick Wills Jr OT Alabama - Offensive minded coach that wants to run the ball and protect his Qb. He has the offensive tools but needs more solidity to the line. Yes I know they signed Conklin in FA, but this will be new HC doubling down to get this team scoring pts which it desperately needs.
11) New York Jets - Trade - San Francisco - Javon Kinlaw DT South Carolina - With the deal 49ers made with Indy to get teh #13 pick, they can now move up to get the DT to replace Buckner with a younger cheaper version of him. I know most feel Wr is a bigger need, but SF was in the superbowl due to it's defense and needs to maintain that edge.
12) Las Vegas - C. J. Henderson Cb Florida - I would LOVE to give a flashy pick here. But lets face facts, the Raiders are getting better and Chucky knows what he needs to win. One key issue on defense has been Cb. No way does Vegas have the trade capital to get up to get Okudah, so they stay pat and get the next bet corner in Henderson. Wr is a real option here as well, but not Qb as surprising as that may seem.
13) NY Jets - from previous trade with SF - Jerry Jeudy Wr Alabama - its time to give their franchise Qb some real help here. He has been hindered by lousy OL and lousy tools. Assuming they will re-sign Anderson, pairing him with Jeudy plus Te Griffen gives Sam Darnold real tools to work with. Now if they can get Le'Veon Bell back to form, this team will have some real help here.
14) Tampa Bay - Andrew Thomas OT Georgia - this is clearly a protect Brady move. He is as mobile as a brick, but he has tons of tools to work with. I would not be shocked to see a trade down, to get more picks, and maybe snag a Rb, but you don't have to draft Rbs in the first round. But you do need to keep Brady upright to throw to Evans, Godwin and co.
15) Denver - CeeDee Lamb Wr Oklahoma - time to invest in more help for Lock. With Courtland Sutland on one side and Lamb on the other you have two great Wrs to work with along with Gordon and Rb crew. This will give Lock some real tools to work with and develop with. OT is another major issue, but you can get OL help later.
16) Atlanta - Trevon Diggs Cb Alabama - dire need with the cuts they made in FA, with the signing of Fowler, OLB is not as dire a need as Cb now.

I'm with you on my Niners taking Kinlaw. They do need a WR, but can get one at 31 (Mims maybe). D-line is the strength of their team and they have to have an inside pass rush.

Not sure if they have to trade up though. I think the WRs will go earlier than you have them going, but WTF do I know.

So glad Roger didn't cave to the GMs who want to move the draft back. We need football right now!

efactor

Coming at you
Will be interesting if Jeudy or Lamb are still on the board at 11 and SF tries to jump the Raiders to get one of them. Most likely trade up scenario for them.

I want them to take Kinlaw if he’s still there but I think Kyle wants a stud WR.