Peyton Manning is the 2008 NFL MVP

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Manning definitely had the best commercial this year.

"Take a hike"

"You know, I'm going to do that, the weather here is sweeet!"

As far as MVP goes, don't know how exactly you define it, but the best player I saw play this year was Drew Brees.
:pickle:that is a GREAT commercial!

Runnik's Hambones

Duk, I'm with you on that too. I felt near the end that it really came down to Brees and Warner, but the pull was that Manning lead his team to what, 8 consecutive wins?

Bull

I'm a little late to this party, but I'll throw my .02 cents worth in. Nearly everyone on here knows what a huge Colts fan I am and have been even when they were in Baltimore. Peyton Manning played very well and came through in the 4th quarter every week in the second half of the season. Peyton may be deserving this year of the MVP. However, Drew Brees received zero votes. How does that happen? I believe that if Drew had completed that last pass and picked up his 16+ yards and broke Marino's record, he would have won the MVP award in a landslide. How is a guy an MVP for a certain passing yardage and not an MVP for 16 less yards much less not receive one frickin' vote.

Mike

Administrator
To me, Brees was not an MVP. He is a very quarterback that is on a team that throws the ball far too often. The result is huge passing yards, very nice stats, and too many losses. If this Saints team tried to control the clock and win games, running backs would be getting 25+ carries a game and passing yards would come way down, resulting in Brees looking like an above average quarterback, but not an MVP.

I can see the argument for Manning, because he made the decisions that got the team these wins. He is given the power to make the calls at the line, and most often, as long as he isn't facing a tough 3-4 defense, he gets the job done, and done well. He still isn't my vote for MVP though.

I would put Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, Demarcus Ware, James Harrison and maybe a few more if I had time to think about it all above Manning. Given all the players I listed, if you take any of them off of their team, other than Harrison, these teams have losing records this year, IMO. I think Manning is right there close to these guys, but the fact that he is a quarterback is what giftwraps him this title for the 3rd time.

Bull

Maybe, but if Brees completes that last pass don't you think he wins the MVP hands down? I'm not saying I agree or you agree that he deserves it, I'm asking, don't you think he would've won. If so, how do you justify not giving it to him for 16 less yards.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Maybe, but if Brees completes that last pass don't you think he wins the MVP hands down? I'm not saying I agree or you agree that he deserves it, I'm asking, don't you think he would've won. If so, how do you justify not giving it to him for 16 less yards.
NO. He is not the league MVP. What success did his 5000 yards get him...no playoffs.

To me the MVP should be an award given to the player whose performance pushed that team to success. Whether he carried the team, or was a key factor in its victories. It is why I thought Pennington was so deserving.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
brees is not an mvp. what did he do special for his team? how many Ws did he help get them?

Bull

Again folks, I'm not asking if he would be worthy of the MVP in your opinion or mine. I'm asking if he would've won it. I think he would have and I also think that it shows the ignorance of the voters. If he doesn't break the record he gets zero votes, if he gets 16 more yards he wins the MVP.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Again folks, I'm not asking if he would be worthy of the MVP in your opinion or mine. I'm asking if he would've won it. I think he would have and I also think that it shows the ignorance of the voters. If he doesn't break the record he gets zero votes, if he gets 16 more yards he wins the MVP.
NO he would not. That is the point Bull. That is why even with the huge stats he got, he got NO votes.

Bull

NO he would not. That is the point Bull. That is why even with the huge stats he got, he got NO votes.

Every other record breaker has won the MVP if it was a significant record. Rushing TDs (Alexander and Tomlinson), Passing TDs (Manning and Brady). You made my point for me. He only got NO votes, because he didn't throw for an extra 16 yards.