Official 2011 FFO Mock Draft!

Runnik's Hambones

This draft is based on team needs, predictions, and personal suggestions based on the team needs and player rankings. No trades are taken into account as the mock is assuming the given teams pick where they currently are, even though there will be trades in the NFL Draft.

Carolina Panthers select Cam Newton, QB, Auburn (6-5, 248, 4.59)
The Panthers would be crazy to not select Cam Newton. He’s done nothing but prove that he’s the best overall football player from the moment he left high school, and that is by winning football games. 2,854 passing yards, 30 TD, 7 INT, 1473 rushing yards, 20 TDs. Carolina does not have a 2nd round pick but they do have two 3rd rounders in which they could use for their DL and OL. Jarvis Jenkins (DT, Clemson,6-4, 310, 5.08, 1st team All-ACC 2010) or Marvin Austin (DT, NC, 6-2, 309, 4.90,) could fall to the top of the 3rd (65th), or perhaps James Carpenter (OT, Alabama, 6-4, 321, 5.28, 2-year starter, JUCCO transfer, All-SEC in 2009 and 2010). If they go OT here, I think a Kenrick Ellis (DT, Hampton, 6-5, 346, 5.28, Raw talent, failed drug test in 2010 and missed a game) would be a good fit.

Denver Broncos select Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama (6-4, 319, 4.93)
Played DE in Alabama in a 3-4 scheme. Projects to a 5 technique DE in 3-4 or a 3 technique DT in the NFL. Broncos are going back to a 4-3 this year with new head coach John Fox. They had the worst defense in the league last year and will look to fix that with Marcell Dareus here. Defensive MVP of 2009 BCS National Championship, Injured Colt McCoy in that game and returned an INT for a TD. Named 1st Team All-SEC in 2010. Broncos also need S and TE. They have 2 second round picks, the 1st (36) could be Kyle Rudolph (TE, ND, 6-6, 259, 4.78), a guy who’s considered as the #3 receiver overall, even though he’s a TE. Big enough to block for the run game as well, but has battled injury with shoulder surgery in 2009, and a hamstring injury in 2010 that required surgery (although he did play through the pain for 6 games). They could fill a need at S with their 2nd pick (46) with a Rahim Moore (S, UCLA, 5-11, 202, 4.57, 3 year starter, 1st team All-Pac 10 in 2009 and 2010, led the country in INTs in 2009) who is the best true S in this draft. Another option is LB as the Broncos do want to bolster their front 7.

Buffalo Bills select Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M (6-3, 246, 4.53)
My 2nd highest ranked player overall in this year’s draft, Von Miller will fit the bill (no pun intended) for Buffalo. A couple of years ago they drafted Aaron Maybin in the first round for pass rush and he was a complete bust. Von Miller is no bust. He was a 3 year starter and captain in Texas, and won the Butkus award as the nation’s top linebacker in 2010. 1st team all-big 12 in 2009 and 2010 and led the NCAA in sacks as a junior. Had 12 sacks in 2009, and had 10.5 in 2010, however he missed games that year. Other needs for Buffalo include QB, OL, DL and TE. with their 2nd round pick (34), they could go Qb with Andy Dalton (TCU, 6-2, 215, 4.85, 4 year starter for TCU, Ranks third all time on the NCAA’s win list with 41) who has almost all of his school’s records for QB. He would do well to learn behind Fitzpatrick. In the 3rd round (68) they could help out the OL with Ben Ijalana (OT, Villanova, 6-4, 317, 5.20, 4 years starter 53 consecutive games, 1st team FCS All-American as junior and senior) if he’s available, or Orlando Franklin (OT, Miami, 6-5, 316, 5.20, 3 year starter 51 consecutive games).

Cincinnati Bengals select A.J. Green, WR, Georgia (6-4, 211, 4.50)
#1 WR in this years draft. Likened to Calvin Johnson. Great route runner and very aggressive. Isn’t afraid of the middle, in-fact thrives over the middle. Cincy is likely losing both TO and Chad Johnson this offseason. They also need a QB, DL, and S. With the 3rd pick of the 2nd round (35), Cincy could select Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder if they are still available. Another option at QB would be Colin Kaepernick. If they stick with Palmer (unlikely), they could reach on Marvin Austin, or take Justin Houston (OLB, Georgia, 6-3, 270, 4.68, 1st team All-SEC in 2010) if he’s still available there. In the 3rd round (66), if they take Justin Houston, Jarvis Jenkins may still be available, as would Dontay Moch (6-1, 248, 4.44, 60+ tackles in 3 of 4 years starting and averaged about 20 TFL per year) if they pass on a LB in the 2nd. Also, Ryan Williams (RB, VaTech, 5-9, 212, 4.61, 1st team All-ACC 2009) could be and option to split carries in the back field, or Shane Vereen (RB, Cal, 5-10, 210, 4.50, 952 yards in 2009 splitting with Best, 1167 last year, 5.1 yard average over 3 years).

Arizona Cardinals select Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU (6-0, 219, 4.34)
The #1 player overall on my draft board. 1st Team All-SEC in 2010, won the Thorpe Award as the nation’s top DB in 2010, Won the Bednarik Award and the nation’s top defender in 2010. Great special teams player, and shut-down corner. The Cardinals really need a QB but I think they have their hearts set on snagging a starter in free agency, like Kevin Kolb, Marc Bulger, or Carson Palmer. With that said, they should still draft a young QB somewhere that they can groom behind a veteran, however, I really don’t see them picking one, unless they settle on Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd round. I actually think that they target Justin Houston, the OLB out of Georgia, because they were unable to get Von Miller in the 1st. They need a pass rushing OLB in their 3-4 scheme, and Joey Porter is not cutting it. Another option if Houston is gone (which is likely) is Christian Ballard (DE, Iowa, 6-4, 283, 4.80, 3 year starter), a young DE that could play well as a 5 technique in a 3-4 system, or a bit of a reach here, Colin McCarthy (OLB, Miami, 6-2, 238, 4.65, 4 year starter) who I think could become a good rusher in a 3-4 as an OLB, but he’s versatile; he could also play ILB. In the 3rd round (69) the Cardinals could go with OL like Ben Ijalana (OT, Villanova), Orlando Franklin (OL, Miami), or Marcus Gilbert (OT, FL) but I have a bick that would shock and excite: how about Greg Little, WR NC? He’s almost 6-3, 231, 4.53, and played opposite Hakeem Nicks. The two of them were studs. I’m thinking a rookie WR like this, Fitzgerald, Steve Breaston, and Early Doucet would be nice.

Cleveland Browns select Julio Jones, WR, Alabama (6-3, 220, 4.39)
One of the best athletes in this years draft, Julio Jones has the ability to give the Browns a true #1 WR. They have Peyton Hillis, Colt McCoy, and about 3 WRs that are all good enough to be #2-#3 guys. What they’re missing is Julio Jones. The other needs that they have is DL, OL and LB. A selection of a 3 technique Marvin Austin, DT, NC would be ideal in the second round for Cleveland. There is still Justin Houston, but he’s more of a 3-4 project in the pros. I really like Stephen Paea (DT, Oregon St, 6-1, 303, 5.15, 3 year starter, 1st Team All-Pac-10 in 2009 and 2010). In the 3rd round (70) a bit of a reach but definitely a need for the Browns, would be Ahmad Black (5-9, 184, 4.74, 3 year starter, 1st Team All-SEC in 2010, 108 tackles in 2010).

San Francisco 49ers select Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska (6-0, 206, 4.43)
Patrick Peterson was their guy but since he went early to Arizona, SanFran passes on Gabbert and goes Amukamara. The 49ers need to bolster their defense if they plan on being in any games. They have a good WR core, including an All-Pro TE and they drafted well last year on their OL. They have great LBs, and went with the stud Taylor Mays last year at S. Now it’s time to help out with this great lock-down CB who was a Consensus 1st Team All-American last year. Now, they definitely need a QB and I’d love to see their 2nd round pick be Ricky Stanzi (QB, Iowa, 6-4, 223, 4.93, 3 year starter, 3rd in school history in wins in a pro style offense, 3004 yards, 64.1%, 25 TD, 6 INT in 2010). In the 3rd round (76) they could get a young edge rusher in Chris Carter (OLB Fresno St, 11 sacks in 2010).

Tennessee Titans select Jake Locker, QB, Washington (6-2, 231, 4.59)
I really believe that the Titans LOVE Jake Locker. That’s the only reason he’s this high, and above Blaine Gabbert. The other option here, besides Gabbert, was Nick Fairley, but I think the Titans believe that they have their franchise in Jake, who was a four year starter in college and a huge NFL prospect over the last couple of years. In the second round (39), the Titans can go with that DT that they so desperately need. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon St may still be available, and there’s a chance that we could see Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa fall as far as 45 this year. Their 3rd round pick (77) could be an upfront player like Rodney Hudson, C, FSU, or they could go playmaker if someone like Leonard Hankerson happens to fall as far as mid-3rd round. Another WR that should be available around there is Greg Salas, Hawaii, who’s coming off of back to back 1500 yard seasons, and he caught 14 TDs last year.

Dallas Cowboys select Tyron Smith, OT, USC (6-5, 307, 4.91)
This is a long overdue selection. The Cowboys haven’t selected an OT in the first round since Jerry Jones bought them in 1989. Tyron Smith is the real deal, though. After a couple of years he could be a pro-bowler. He was named 1st Team All-Pac 10 in 2010. The reason this pick is important is because the Cowboys know how hard it is to win without a QB. They need to keep Romo safe. They could also go Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College. With that said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a JJ Watts selection here. In the second round (40), if Justin Houston is still available, expect the Cowboys to pull the trigger there. Another option would be the 2ndary as they were one of the worst teams all year last season against the pass. Ras-I Dowling (CB, Virginia, 3 year starter, dealt with injuries in 2010) could be the CB that Dallas very much needs. He’s better than Chris Cook was last year (Min, from Virginia). There’s also Chirtian Ballard, DE, Iowa there as well. If they go DE/OLB in the 2nd round, they could use their 3rd round selection on Sareece Wright, CB, USC (Just a 1 year starter).

Washington Redskins select Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas (6-7, 253, 5.37)
Yeah, I said it. Ryan Mallett ahead of Blaine Gabbert. Some have Mallett falling to the second, even third round, but I think NFL teams understand talent better than most. Mallett is the best pocket QB in this draft with the best arm, hands down. He can make any throw on the field and is a smart football player. He has some character issues, but I think that Mike Shanahan can deal with them. Just like Shany fell in love with Cutler’s arm, I think he loves Mallett’s. In the second round (41), I think that the Skins should go with Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pitt (6-4, 228, 4.50, 1st Team All-Big East in 2009 and 2010). They’re out of picks then until the 5th round, but they walk away here with a franchise QB and a #1 WR for him.

Houston Texans select Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina (6-4, 265, 4.70)
New D-Coordinator Wade Phillips is moving Houston to a 3-4 and needs an OLB to be a Demarcus Ware type. Robert Quinn falls into their laps here, as he’s projected as high as Cleveland at #6. He was named 1st team All-ACC in 2009, and did not play in 2010 for accepting money from an agent. Houston also needs a CB (Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara are the top 2 on Houston’s board), and DL. They selected Kareem Jackson in the 1st last year and he needs to continue to perform, but they need a pass rush to help him out a bit more. In round 2 (42) Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor would fit their needs as a larg 334 lb nose tackle. Another option would be Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia, or Johnny Patrick (CB, Louisville 5-10, 191, 4.55). In the third round (73), Houston is in the perfect position to get another OLB in Dontay Moch, Nevada, to play opposite Robert Quinn.

Minnesota Vikings select Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri (6-4, 234, 4.62)
This is a good position for Blain Gabbert, IMO. It’s not too high, and it’s not above some of the players that are better than him. He is, however, very much worth a first round selection. He had a solid completion percentage last year (63.4%), but only threw 16 TDs. Blaine is no where near a finished product, but I think he’s perfect for a team like Minnesota. They need a QB badly, and they have a ton of weapons around Gabbert, something that he did not have in college. Their 2nd rounder (43) should be DT Stephen Paea, Oregon St. Phil Taylor is more of a 3-4 DT, but Paea has what it takes to be a very good 3 technique. Another option could be Jabaal Seard (DE, Pitt, 6-3, 264, 4.69, 3 year starter, Big East Defensive Player of the year in 2010, 1st Team All-Big East in 2010 but was arrested with felony aggravated assault in the summer of 2010, 9 sacks, 14.5 TFL). The Vikings don’t have a 3rd rounder so it’s imperative that they get a QB and DL early.

Detroit Lions select Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado (6-2, 211, 4.46)
Some would call this a reach because of Jimmy’s “character concerns” but everyone agrees that he’s a top 10 talent. He’s a very reliable tackler with decent hands. He stays with his man and because of this, QBs rarely throw his way. In the second round (44), the Lions could make a statement and go back to back CBs (they are in a conference with Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, and as a result of this draft, Blain Gabbert) and select Ras-I Dowling out of Virginia. If they decided to go LB though, Bruce Carter, OLB, NC will likely be available (6-1, 241, 4.60, 4 year starter, 1st round talent that slipped because he tore his ACL in November 2010). If Detroit goes CB, CB in rounds 1 and 2 (which I think they should), they could get Quan Studivant (ILB, NC, 6-1, 241, 4.75, very smart football player, 4 year starter, 1st team All-ACC in 2009) in the 3rd round (75), moving DeAndre Levy back to OLB, or they could select Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno St.

St. Louis Rams select Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn (6-4, 291, 4.87)
This is definitely further down than most people see Fariley dropping, but I couldn’t see the Rams passing on this DT if he falls this far, and Julio Jones does not. The two positions that the Rams need right now are WR and DL. Fairley dominated the SEC last season, and will need some coaching on the next level, but the raw talent, athleticism and high ceiling, have forced many people into believing that he’s even better than Marcell Dareus. Fairley was a consensus 1st Team All-American in 2010; 1st Team All-SEC in 2010; SEC Defensive Player of the Year in 2010; Won Lombardi Award as the nation’s best college football lineman or linebacker in 2010; and was the Defensive MVP of the 2011 BCS National Championship Game. If he’s available with the Ram’s 2nd round pick (47), Jonathan Baldwin should be the selection. Another option, although I doubt he will be available at 47, is Kyle Rudolph, TE, ND. Another good WR that may be there in the 2nd for the Rams is Randall Cobb (WR, Kentucky, 5-10, 191, 4.46, 84 rec, 1017 yards in 2010), however he reminds me a lot of Mardy Gilyard. In the 3rd round (78) a second receiver should be taken. Leonard Hankerso (WR, Miami, 6-1, 209, 4.43, great hands, 72 rec, 1156 yards, 13 TDs in 2010) or Greg Salas, WR, Hawaii, should be available. Another option would be Virgil Green (TE, Nevada, 6-3, 249, 4.64).

Miami Dolphins select Christian Ponder, QB, FSU (6-2, 229, 4.65)
Yes, this is a reach, but hear me out. I don’t think that Miami will pick here. Remember, they don’t have a 2nd round pick, and I think that they will trade back and acquire one. By doing this they will be in position to select a QB like Christian Ponder (likely Christian Ponder actually), who just may be the most accurate QB in this years draft, and with a 2nd round pick, they could get a RB like Mikel Leshoure (Illinois, 6-0, 227, 4.59, 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2010, 2nd Team All-American 2010, averaged 6 YPC in college), Kendall Hunter (RB, Oklahoma St, 5-7, 199, 4.53, 1st Team All-Big 12 in 2008 and 2010, 1st Team All-American in 2010, and excelled academically, 5.9 YPC in college). Ricky Williams is 33, entering his 12th year, and Ronnie Brown is 29 and is injured all of the time. In the third round (79) Miami needs to go OG here, with Stefen Wisnewski (Penn St, 6-3, 313, 5.35, Very smart, 3 year starter, 1st Team All-Big Ten 2009 and 2010, near 4.0 GPA and a 3 time Academic All-American). In this scenario the Dolphins could enter Saturday with a new QB, RB, and OG. You’re welcome.

Jacksonville Jaguars select Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri (6-4, 263, 4.75)
Most drafts do not have Aldon Smith even available this far, but I think he has the chance to fall as far back as pick 20 to the Bucs. Aldon had a great year in 2009 followed by a year with an injury in which he missed only 3 weeks with a broken fibia. The potential is there for him to be one of the best pass rushers in the nation and at 263, he’s already put on about 17lbs since the end of the season. He may be able to go even higher if the team that drafts him wants, up to even about 280. Aside from a pass rusher, Jacksonville could use some help in the secondary and at WR. In the 2nd round (49), the Jags will have many options: Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville or Rahim Moore, S, UCLA may be available. Or they could go WR if Jonathan Baldwin falls a few spots, but I doubt he’ll be there past the Rams at 47. If they go secondary, which I think they should, there’s a shot at Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami, or Greg Salas, WR, Hawaii at their #80 pick in the middle of the 3rd round.

Runnik's Hambones

New England Patriots select Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson (6-3, 280, 4.94)
I believe that this is as far as Bowers will drop. He went from being considered the #1 overall selection this year, to possibly missing the 1st round all together. Simply put: he’s too talented for that. He visited the Patriots about a week and a half ago and they put him through a physical in which the team said he looked really good. Bowers was a unanimous 1st Team All-American in 2010, and was the ACC Defensive Player of the year in 2010. Since the Patriots have another 1st round pick, we’ll discuss their other options later.

San Diego Chargers select J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin (6-5, 290, 4.84)
A high motor guy with a lot of promise to be in this league for years to come, Watt is exactly the 5 technique DE that the Chargers are looking for. He’s never going to be a sack guy, but he will help out at pressuring QBs and keeping RBs inside so that the LBs can flow to the play. With their 2nd round pick (50) the Chargers could fill their OLB need with Jabaal Seard, Pitt. This kid is a sack machine, and would compliment a JJ Watt selection nicely. They also need a WR, and there is a possibility that WR Titus Young, Boise St. could be there for their 2nd 2nd rounder at 61. If not, Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy, will likely be there. In the 3rd round (82), the Chargers could have a shot at Hankerson or Salas, or they could go defense and take Brandon Burton, CB, Utah, or Colin McCarthy, OLB, Miami.

New York Giants select Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida (6-5, 303, 5.28)
The Giants are in dire need of OL, long term. We all know they love DL, it’s time to give Eli a bit more time. Pouncey could be just what they need as a starter for years to come. For their 2nd rounder (54), I actually think they need another OL pick. I’m going to suggest Marcus Cannon (OT/OG, TCU, 6-5, 358, 5.26, 3 year starter, 1st Team All-MWC in 2009 and 2010). A player like this, that can play guard or tackle, is the type of hybrid that will give the Giants many options. In the 3rd round (83) the Giants could go LB with Sam Acho (OLB, Texas, 6-1, 262, 4.68, 1st Team All-Big 12 in 2010), or RB with someone like DeMarco Murray who has great hands and can pick up blocks nicely.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue (6-4, 267, 4.71)
The Bucs will select the highest ranked DE available here. as it stands, Ryan Kerrigan is that guy. Really high motor, so much so that he sometimes over pursues. 3 year starter, 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2009 and 2010, All-American selection in 2010, Big Ten Defensive Player of the year and Defensive Lineman of the year in 2010, and led the nation in TFL in 2010. The Bucs have a second round selection at 51. The Bucs need a CB but the value isn’t right here. I would suggest another DE in someone like Jabaal Sheard, Pitt. In the third round a player like Casey Matthews (MLB, Oregon, 6-1, 231, 4.78, 1st Team All-Pac 10 in 2010, led Oregon’s defense to a national championship appearance in 2010). The Bucs would still need to address their secondary which I believe should wait until the 4th and 5th rounds Davon House (CB, New Mexico St., 6-0, 200, 4.50, 5th player in program history to be invited to Senior Bowl) or Joe Lefeged (S/CB, Rutgers, 5-11, 210, 4.43).

Kansas City Chiefs select Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin (6-7, 314, 5.27)
This is a position that the Chiefs passed on last year and it currently a need. Carimi is a huge upgrade for KC. Carimi was a 1st Teamp All-Big Ten in 2009 and 2010, 1st Team All-American in 2010, and he won the 2010 Outland Trophy as the nation’s top interior lineman. With their 2nd round pick (55) the Chiefs could give Cassell a #2 WR with either Torrey Smith (WR, Maryland, (6-1, 204, 4.43, 3 year starter, 1st Team All-ACC in 2010, back to back 60+ catch seasons, 12 TDs in 2010) or Titus Young (WR, Boise St., 5-11, 174, 4.53, 1st Team All-WAC in 2009 and 2010, back to back seasons with 70 + receptions and 1000+ yards. The 3rd round pick (86) should be NT. Someone big, like Kenrick Ellis (DT, Hampton, 6-5, 346, 5.28, ideal 3-4 NT, with some serious character concerns).

Indianapolis Colts select Nate Solder, OT, Colorado (6-8, 319, 5.05)
The Colts need to protect Manning, as they’re about to put more money into him than any player in NFL history. Named 1st team All-Big-12 in 2009 and 2010, 1st team All-American in 2010. Indy’s 2nd rounder (53) Terrell McClain (DT, USF, 6-2, 297, 5.00, good 3 technique). In the 3rd round Indy could fill the roll of S with Quinton Carter (S, Oklahoma, 6-1, 208, 4.62, 1st Team All-American in 2010)

Philadelphia Eagles select Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (5-9, 191, 4.45)
3 year starter, 1st Team All-ACC in 2009. Good speed and size to cover well. Philly really needs a CB. With their 2nd round pick (54) the Eagles should go OL. A good pick could be Marcus Cannon, OT/OG, TCU, or Clint Boling OG/OT, Georgia. The next position that the Eagles need is LB, so in the 3rd round (85), they could take either Colin McCarthy, OLB, Miami, or Sam Acho, OLB, Texas.

New Orleans Saints select Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA (6-2, 254, 4.72)
The saints need help at OLB to keep up with the offensive weapons in the NFC South. Akeem Ayers was a 2 year starter and was named 1st Team All-Pac-10 in 2010. Another possibility here is Muhammad Wilkerson (Temple DE) or Adrian Clayborn (DE, Iowa). To fill the need the Saints have for a DE, I’d suggest a selection of Allen Bailey, DE Miami (6-3, 285, 4.77). The Saints have two 3rd rounders (72, and 88). If, by chance, Kendall Hunter (RB, Oklahoma St.) is still available at 72, I don’t think the Saints could pass him up, especially after the RB issues that they have had. At pick 88, the Saints should select a S like Quinton Carter (S, Oklahoma) or Jaiquawn Jarrett (S, Temple, 6-0, 198, 4.62, 4 year starter, 1st Team All-MAC in 2009 and 2010).

Seattle Seahawks select Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor (6-3, 310, 5.40)
This was a tough selection that I went back on several times. The question was how important is it to get a QB here for Seattle. Matt isn’t resigned yet, and Charlie Whitehurst, a lot of people just don’t believe in. I thought about reaching on a QB and suggesting that they trade back but I’m starting to rethink that idea. Instead how about Seattle attacking the free agent market, whenever there will be one. Carson Palmer is going to be out there along with Kolb and Bulger. I think that’s the route for the Seahawks. Watkins is a very good guard, who is deceptively athletic and quick. he was a 2 year starter and named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2010. In the 2nd round (57) a selection of Allen Bailey, DE, Miami would help out their secondary. Seattle does not have a 3rd rounder, but a 4th round selection of Jurrel Casey, DT, USC (6-1, 300) would help out the interior as well.

Baltimore Ravens select Aaron Williams, CB, Texas (6-0, 204, 4.52)
2 year starter that is very athletic and should compliment teams well in the NFL. The Ravens are bare at this position so this is a much needed draft pick. Their 2nd rounder (58) should be on a WR like Titus Young, Boise St., or he’s gone, Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy. In the 3rd round there are a few secondary issues that could be addressed. S Quinton Carter, Oklahoma should be there, as well as S Jaiquawn Jarrett out of Temple. Another CB that I really like is Davon House, New Mexico St.

Atlanta Falcons select Cameron Jordan, DE, California (6-4, 287, 4.78)
Just like the Bucs I think Atlanta takes the best DE available. Right now, it’s Cameron Jordan. He was a 3 year starter and named 1st Team All-Pac-10 in 2010. This guy is nice because his size allows him to move all around the line. He could play DE in a 4-3 or a 3 technique at DT in a 4-3. Going to be a nightmare for opposing OLs. In the 2nd round (59) Titus Young, WR, Boise St. could be available, or Jerrel Jernigan WR, Troy. All they have at WR is Roddy White and an aging all-pro TE. They could however, decide to stick with their DL and select a second DE in Allen Bailey, DE, Miami. If they go WR or DE in the 2nd they could always try and get another TE to back up Tony, someone like Luke Stocker, TE, Tennessee (6-5, 258, 4.79, 3 year starter with decent hands). Or, if they go defense in the 2nd, their 3rd round pick could be WR Edmond Gates, Abilene Christian (6-0, 192, 4.37, really fast 4 year starter!).

New England Patriots select Mark Imgram, RB, Alabama (5-9, 215, 4.62)
We all know who this is. Heisman Trophy winner in 2009, Unanimous 1st Team All-American in 2009, 1st Team All-SEC in 2009. He’s a baller. Had a hard time with this pick as well, though. If the Patriots don’t take Mark early with their 17th pick, there’s a very good possibility that he wont be available here. I had them jump on Da’Quan Bowers, because I think that if he free falls, he will be taken in the middle of the 1st round. The Pats luck out here (again), because they walk away with basically 2 franchise players. The Pats are in a great position to fill plenty of needs. Their 1st 2nd round pick (33), could be used on Bruce Carter (OLB, NC, 6-1, 241, 4.60, 4 year starter, only played 11 games because he tore his ACL in November of 2010), or they’d have a shot at Brooks Reed (OLB, Arizona, 6-2, 263, 4.68, 3 year starter, 1st Team All-Pac-10 in 2010, played DE in college but projects as an OLB in the pros). With their 2nd 2nd round pick (60), how about someone else having a shot at either Titus Young, WR, Boise St, or Jerrel Jernigan WR, Troy? Or they could go back to the DL, and take a Terrell McClain, DT, USF. The Patriots also have 2 3rd round selections. Their first could be (74), OLB Dontay May, Nevada, or if they went DL in the 2nd, Greg Little, WR, NC could be available. Another option is OL, with Florida’s OT, Marcus Gilbert. With their last pick in the 3rd round (92), the pats could get a good S like Jaiquawn Jarret, Temple, or an OT like James Brewer, Indiana (6-6, 323, 5.27, 2 year starter).

Chicago Bears select Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College (6-7, 311, 5.23)
A surprise slip here, Castonzo is projected by some to go as high as Dallas at pick 9. Castonzo was a 4 year starter and was named 1st team All-ACC in 2009 and 2010. Biochem major that has a great head on his shoulders. He faced great pass rushers in college like Ganes Adams, Derrick Morgan, Allen Bailey, Robert Quinn and Da’Quan Bowers. The Bears gave up more sacks than any team last year and Anthony will help change that. If I’m the Bears I would stick with the OL and go James Carpenter (OT/OG, Alabama, 6-3, 321, 5.28, 2 year starter that can play whatever position they would need him). In the third round (93) I think they should address their WR issues with a Tandon Doss, Indiana (6-2, 201, 4.62, Possession receiver) selection.

New York Jets select Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple (6-4, 315, 4.96)
Ideal size and arm length for a 3-4 DE, Muhammad was a 2 year starter and named 1st Team All-MAC in 2009 and 2010. he stood out on film recording over 10 TFL in the past 2 seasons. The Jets don’t have a 2nd round pick, but they should use their 3rd rounder (94) for a LB like Ross Homan (OLB, Ohio St., 6-1, 240, 4.68, 4 year starter).

Pittsburgh Steelers select Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St. (6-5, 294, 4.95)
A 4 year starter Cameron was named 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2010. The Steelers really need a CB but the players that they want aren’t available here. The next area of need is the 5 technique in their 3-4 scheme. In the 2nd round (63) I think the Steelers should select Shareece Wright (CB, USC, 6-0, 185, 4.46, who is fast and can play the bump very well). In the 3rd round (95) CBs Davon House, New Mexico St., or Josh Thomas, Buffalo coule be available.

Green Bay Packers select Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois (5-11, 227, 4.59)
I guess this is a bit of a shock, as no one seems to have GB going RB, especially in the 1st, unless Ingram falls. I think that Leshoure is good enough to be projected in the 1st round, in fact, he may be better than Ingram. Last year he had 20 TDs and has a college average of 6 YPC. 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2010 and was a 2nd Team All-American in 2010. Last year he set Illinois single-season records for rushing and touchdowns. Reminds me of Mendenhall. I think that GB needs a RB like this. As we saw last year, depth is important. At the back end of the 2nd round (64) Martez Wilson (OLB, Illinois, 6-4, 250, 4.49, 2 year starter), who is a fast athlete that can play opposite Clay Mathews. In the end of the 3rd round (96) DT Drake Nevis (LSU, 6-1, 294, 5.06, 1st Team All-SEC and 2nd Team All-American in 2010) is a very underrated DT this year, that could play 5 technique in a 3-4 scheme because he’s just a little undersized in the middle.

Runnik's Hambones

This is the Official 2011 FFO NFL Mock Draft! Last night we went through this entire mock online, live from World of Beer in Carrollwood, right here in Tampa. We'll be there again tonight to cover the 1st round of the NFL Draft! Listen live for detailed analysis of every selection from tonight's draft!