Mike Leach may be out at Texas Tech

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech coach Mike Leach missed another deadline Tuesday to accept a contract extension and now the school's board of regents will meet Friday to discuss his job.

Leach said he's happy to coach the remaining two years of his current contract, which pays $2.65 million next season and $2.35 million in 2010.

"It's well documented that we want to be at Texas Tech for years to come. Our results have been positive and I have no regrets whatsoever. We're very excited about the future of the program. We had a strong recruiting class. We've won more bowl games and had the best season in the history of Texas Tech. I'm trying to focus on my job," Leach told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Leach and Texas Tech have essentially agreed on the financial terms of a new five-year deal that would average $2.54 million annually, but negotiations hung up on several clauses.

The provision that bothers Leach most is one that would trigger his firing and a $1.5 million penalty if he interviews for another job without athletic director Gerald Myers' permission. Leach's current deal has no such restriction.

"I don't have to have hall passes on this one," Leach told The Associated Press during an interview near his office a few hours before a deadline to accept what Myers said was a "last and final offer" that would be pulled off the table.

ESPN NCAAF Leach, Texas Tech still unresolved

Could happen as soon as today.

If this happens, what a bunch of dumbasses. As glad as I'd be to finally be rid of the Red Raiders, he IS Texas Tech. No one goes to West Texas for the academics.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Heard on the radio today they are still working on this, but the hang up seems to be on the interviewing elsewhere clause still.

I don't see why they would do anything rather then just let him play it out, he's still under contract. If they fire him for not accepting an extension that is just plain wrong....STUPID and wrong!

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Extension has been done, 5 yr, 12.7 mil extension. Guess the speed bumps have been resolved.