Michael Crabtree: Boom or Bust?

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
So what's everyone think about this guy at the next level now that he has officially declared?

He put up out of this world numbers this year... and that was on a down year after last year's phenomenal freshman season. But is this guy a product of the Texas Tech system or is he the real deal? The only Tech receiver that comes to mind who has succeeded in the NFL is Wes Welker, but he had to come a long way first and is also not at all the sort of player teams will hope to get from this guaranteed 1st round pick.

What receiver would you compare Crabtree to, and how high would you be happy with your team taking him? Is he everything he looks like and more, or is he the next big time WR bust?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
6'3, 214, big, strong, fast!

This guy is a little smaller than Calvin Johnson, but has all the upside. He's a playmaker that has super star written all over him IMO. Great hands and good body control. I think he's a star in the making.

Mike

Administrator
The guy goes up and makes plays, at least at the college level. I think he is going to do well at the NFL level. The guy is very confident in his ability, which is a good thing. He wanted to be a receiver, and refused schools (such as Texas) who wanted to recruit him as a defensive player.

I wouldn't want to see him going into a role where he was forced to be the #1 guy in his first year, but if was to come into a situation similar to what Torry Holt did in St. Louis, that would be perfect. It would allow him to further develop his skills without the pressure of being "the guy" as a rookie.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
What I like about him is you saw him time and time again making PRO plays! Plays that he'll need to make at the next level. I see where your coming from on the system, but at some point you just have to look at the player and ask do they have it or not, and i think he has it.

I think he's going to be a bust. Let him go up against some physical DB's with only one or two other wideouts on the field with him, and he's going to shut down. I have no evidence other then a gut feeling on this one.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i love this guy at tech, but im not positive im sold yet. i dont think i buy him as the next larry fitzgerald or calvin johnson. expectations too high that i dont think he can meet. i think he can be a solid WR1 but not a game changing superstar.

Arctic Dawgs

Lets look at this from another angle,,

Which teams have WR as a 1A or 1B need ??

Would he fit in there and would they take him or make a move to get him ??

Teams who need a WR:

Tennessee
Chicago
Seattle
Miami
Oakland
San Francisco
Minnesota

I think Oakland would be the most logical choice

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
We may be overlooking a pretty obvious landing zone. What about St. Louis? Holt appears to be on his way out. Avery looks solid but needs to be a #2. Enter Crabtree at the perfect draft spot. Eh?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
We may be overlooking a pretty obvious landing zone. What about St. Louis? Holt appears to be on his way out. Avery looks solid but needs to be a #2. Enter Crabtree at the perfect draft spot. Eh?
I would agree. But I think OT is much more a need, and they know it.

My guess is if Smith is not there, they may deal down and let someone else take Crabtree or Qb, and get an OT later with extra picks.

Hollywoodnash

TO THE DEATH
Crabtree has the ability to be that big play receivers, but his system at Tech allows him to go man up on physically inferior DB's. This isn't going to happe in the NFL. NFL backs will not allow him to get the body positioning that he relies on to make most of his spectacular catches. As far as his hands, he's proven to have good hands. But his speed will often be negated by the speed of the DB's at the next level and he will have to learn to be much more physical then he is right now.

He could be a great slot receiver who is able to draw one on one coverage, or a quality #2 who can help take the pressure off of a top WR. I just don't see him as an Andre Johnson, or a Larry Fitzgerald type.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Big and strong, yes. Fast? Rather think not. If the guy runs a 4.6 in the combine, I'll be shocked.
Not as fast as i thought he was....but he should crack 4.6 pretty easy, looking like he'll run in the mid to low 4.5's is my guess. I'd love to place a wager on 4.6 or higher with ya if your up for it?