LSU to hire….

romanempire

This is a solid hire by LSU.

With LSU’s recruiting prowess Kelly will have the tools available for success in the SEC.

As a tiger fan I like the fact that he brings stability and discipline to the program, something that was lacking in the last two coaches.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This is a solid hire by LSU.

With LSU’s recruiting prowess Kelly will have the tools available for success in the SEC.

As a tiger fan I like the fact that he brings stability and discipline to the program, something that was lacking in the last two coaches.
It will be a huge step change for the program. It will also end his career if he fails there. No risk, no reward

hikeNbike

Has he ever worked outside the Midwest? He's done well at Cincinnati and Notre Dame but this is a big change. Solid hire I can see the fit isn't like a glove, but his track record is solid so I can't fault it. Bama though is why I would have stayed at Notre Dame if I was him. It's not that he can't beat Bama at LSU but doing so regularly or even semi regularly is a tall task.

hikeNbike

The challenge is one of the reasons he took the LSU job.
That's fine. But I'm suggesting it's likely a foolish challenge. He had a cushy job at Notre Dame, and probably could have stayed as long as he wanted, and had a good shot at the College Football playoff each year, would have been in this year had they beat Cincinnati, and he had made it before. Now he has 3 to 5 seasons and better beat Saban and win a championship in at least one of those seasons.Good luck. Saban has crushed everyone in the SEC west. Maybe Kelly is different but Im guessing he won't be.

romanempire

That's fine. But I'm suggesting it's likely a foolish challenge. He had a cushy job at Notre Dame, and probably could have stayed as long as he wanted, and had a good shot at the College Football playoff each year, would have been in this year had they beat Cincinnati, and he had made it before. Now he has 3 to 5 seasons and better beat Saban and win a championship in at least one of those seasons.Good luck. Saban has crushed everyone in the SEC west. Maybe Kelly is different but Im guessing he won't be.
Foolish for what? LOL. He’s getting paid millions of dollars more than he was making at ND to take the job.

Using your logic no one should ever take a coaching job in the SEC because Saban exists.

Two flat out idiots had success at LSU and each won a National Championship. With Kelly’s record of success he’ll be successful there too.

Foolish would be to not take the job.

hikeNbike

Dude relax. In my opinion and I don't know for sure let's see how it plays out but in my opinion, he will coach for 5 years then get the pink slip. That's just my prediction. Nick Saban works those other sec coaches like a boxer does a speed bag. Most don't last long. Success if they have it is fleeting.

I think he could have gone back to Notre Dame and renegotiated his contract. Maybe he tried that and it didn't work, there is no way for me to know, but I'm guessing with all the money Notre Dame has they could have matched.

Yes he will be fine even if he isn't successful on the field he is getting paid millions. I'm just giving my opinion that I don't think it's going to work for him on the field. Neither Miles nor Orgeron we're seen as an idiot when they got hired to coach at LSU. Les Miles was hailed on arrival after success where he was at before. Both left as idiots after getting worked by Saban. And they aren't alone history is littered with coaches getting canned for not beating Saban. Auburns coach I can't remember the guys name was once seen as an innovator, he left as an idiot too. Riley won't admit it but I believe he wanted no part of LSU or staying at OU and facing Alabama every year. Money at USC helped to be sure but it sure doesn't look like he went to OK and asked could they match, he couldn't leave fast enough.

And this is coming from someone who is sick and tired of Alabama. I don't want to see them win but they continue to do so. Even in a down year they still ultimately won the SEC again and they really weren't even challenged in the game by Georgia. I'll be rooting for the Bearcats but do I think they win, not likely. Do I think they keep it close with all the time Saban has to prepare, not likely either I'm afraid. I hope I'm wrong there.

romanempire

Dude relax. In my opinion and I don't know for sure let's see how it plays out but in my opinion, he will coach for 5 years then get the pink slip. That's just my prediction. Nick Saban works those other sec coaches like a boxer does a speed bag. Most don't last long. Success if they have it is fleeting.
I know this is hard for you to grasp, but because someone disagrees with you, especially about a subject so benign as sports, doesn’t mean they are wound up. Maybe everyone should start accusing you of being “not relaxed” when you make your late night “f you” drunk posts?

I think he could have gone back to Notre Dame and renegotiated his contract. Maybe he tried that and it didn't work, there is no way for me to know, but I'm guessing with all the money Notre Dame has they could have matched.
Or the problem could be, you’re theorizing about things you don’t have a clue about?
Yes he will be fine even if he isn't successful on the field he is getting paid millions. I'm just giving my opinion that I don't think it's going to work for him on the field.
And you may be proven totally correct.

However, a person much more competent at hiring head coaches, LSU’s AD, thinks he will be successful.

So, excuse me if I place a little more weight on his opinion on the matter than I do some random poster on an anonymous message board
Neither Miles nor Orgeron we're seen as an idiot when they got hired to coach at LSU.
As someone in the know, I can assure you that many people in the LSU hierarchy did in fact think these two were idiots. Moreso down the road for Miles but it was a widely held opinion with people within the program.
Les Miles was hailed on arrival after success where he was at before.
Miles’ success pre LSU isn’t even remotely comparable to Kelly’s
Both left as idiots after getting worked by Saban.
And they aren't alone history is littered with coaches getting canned for not beating Saban. Auburns coach I can't remember the guys name was once seen as an innovator, he left as an idiot too.
You act like you’re the first person in history to discover that Nick Saban has had enormous success at Alabama. Do you think Kelly, or any other coach taking a HC position in the SEC, particularly the West, isn’t aware of this?
Riley won't admit it but I believe he wanted no part of LSU or staying at OU and facing Alabama every year. Money at USC helped to be sure but it sure doesn't look like he went to OK and asked could they match, he couldn't leave fast enough.
LSU never seriously considered Riley for the job. He was never getting that job.
And this is coming from someone who is sick and tired of Alabama. I don't want to see them win but they continue to do so. Even in a down year they still ultimately won the SEC again and they really weren't even challenged in the game by Georgia. I'll be rooting for the Bearcats but do I think they win, not likely. Do I think they keep it close with all the time Saban has to prepare, not likely either I'm afraid. I hope I'm wrong there.
That’s because Georgia is like I said “fool’s gold”. Kirby Smart is incredibly talented at convincing the best talent to come play there, but he lacks in coaching talent to match someone like Saban. In other words, the talent isn’t enough to bail him out at game time.

I do agree that Alabama has had much better teams in the past but them beating Georgia yesterday should have surprised no one. Winning and dominating in the SEC East is wholly different from the West.

hikeNbike

Using your logic no one should ever take a coaching job in the SEC because Saban exists.

This is pretty close to what I'm saying.

The valedictorian at my high school was pretty darn good at Physics. Do I expect her to beat Albert Einstein in a head to head hypothetical matchup. Well I guess it's possible, maybe she is just that smart, but it's not likely. Same with Kelly is he a successful coach with a great resume, sure. Is he Saban or on Saban's level, I don't think so. Might he be, sure I guess it's possible, but it doesn't seem likely.

Now if someone is an assistant or a coach at say Appalachian State sure get yourself a big raise and a big challenge and take the gig. But if someone is at Notre Dame, Clemson, USC. I still say they will have more success staying where they are at then challenging Alabama.

romanempire

This is pretty close to what I'm saying.

The valedictorian at my high school was pretty darn good at Physics. Do I expect her to beat Albert Einstein in a head to head hypothetical matchup. Well I guess it's possible, maybe she is just that smart, but it's not likely. Same with Kelly is he a successful coach with a great resume, sure. Is he Saban or on Saban's level, I don't think so. Might he be, sure I guess it's possible, but it doesn't seem likely.

Now if someone is an assistant or a coach at say Appalachian State sure get yourself a big raise and a big challenge and take the gig. But if someone is at Notre Dame, Clemson, USC. I still say they will have more success staying where they are at then challenging Alabama.
Well sure, if you have a defeatist attitude, I could see why you think that.

hikeNbike

I'm not saying your wound up because you disagree with me. I'm saying your wound up because of your tone. You can pretty much feel it coming through your posts. Disagree with me all you want otherwise there isn't a discussion. But you don't know, I don't know it's all speculation whether he succeeds at LSU or not.

I'd like to know your source on LSU not wanting Riley. Maybe that's the case but I never heard that until just now. Also like to know what your connection is to the LSU athletic department that makes you so certain they weren't considering Riley.

I'd also like to know which athletic department hires people they believe to be idiots to coach their team? Isn't the athletic directors job at risk too. He is going to hire an idiot on purpose?

hikeNbike

Well sure, if you have a defeatist attitude, I could see why you think that.
He had a job at Notre Dame. LSU fan or not Notre Dame is arguably a better job than the LSU job. Not definitively so but you could certainly make a case for it. If he had turned LSU down and said he was staying at Notre Dame would you have panned him for being a defeatist or having a defeatist attitude? Hey I'm a Texas fan. I'd love to get Mike Tomlin to coach the Longhorns. If we fire Sark and offer the job to Tomlin am I going to say he is a defeatist for turning it down? How bout Dabo, don't want the job at Texas, you defeatist.

romanempire

He had a job at Notre Dame. LSU fan or not Notre Dame is arguably a better job than the LSU job.
See, this is where you’re wrong, kiddo.

Notre Dame was a better job than LSU twenty years ago but it’s not a better job today.

If Notre Dame were the better job, Kelly wouldn’t have left.

romanempire

I'm not saying your wound up because you disagree with me. I'm saying your wound up because of your tone. You can pretty much feel it coming through your posts. Disagree with me all you want otherwise there isn't a discussion. But you don't know, I don't know it's all speculation whether he succeeds at LSU or not.
Your problem is, you think by someone disagreeing with you, is implying a tone.
I'd like to know your source on LSU not wanting Riley. Maybe that's the case but I never heard that until just now. Also like to know what your connection is to the LSU athletic department that makes you so certain they weren't considering Riley.
The LSU athletic department and TAF members. You believed LSU was pursuing Riley because gossipers on message boards and goobers who want to sell clicks told you that.
I'd also like to know which athletic department hires people they believe to be idiots to coach their team? Isn't the athletic directors job at risk too. He is going to hire an idiot on purpose?
Probably the guy who’s no longer the AD and was forced to resign. That’d be my guess…

hikeNbike

Yeah I guess that's probably correct when your athletic director hires people he knows are idiots he probably is no longer around. Here is hoping that the next time Texas goes to hire a coach they hire an athletic director as well.

hikeNbike

And I still say Notre Dame is a damn good job and I think there is a good case to make it's better than LSUs job. That's my opinion.