Kerry Collins told he will start in 2009

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
And the team is looking hard to re up with Chris Simms. Almost sounds like Young isn't in their long term plans anymore. A trade perhaps?

Runnik's Hambones

I would perhaps try and renegotiate with Young and say, if you want to stay, you'll be our #3 guy for now, and we will pay you for that role. If not, we can try and trade you away if you feel you can start somewhere.

I'm sorry, but I really think what they need to do here is make Chris Sims the #2 guy and mold him under Kerry Collins. They have the similar play style and it's not like Young doesn't have the talent. They guy has a monster arm with good accuracy, great wheels and single handedly dismantled USC in the Texas title game. But mentally, he's no where near capable to make NFL type decisions. He gets booed and he's freaking near suicidal. Simms has proven that he's tough and I think the poor guy was a crap product because of Gruden. He can win games much the same way Kerry Collins can and he's younger so I think his arm is better and he can control a game. Let Collins mentor the guy and make him the #2 QB.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I LOATHE Chris Simms. But if he can be taught to play ball control like Collins, he would be the smart choice for them at QB.

Young might be better served in a place like Arizona or Kansas City, where the spread offense fits what he did in college.

Runnik's Hambones

Look, I'm by no means a fan of Chris Simms, but he gained a crap load of respect from me when I was at the game booing him, with the other 60,000 fans in Raymond James, the game he ruptured his spleen and kept playing. The kid is tough and because of Gruden I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I by no means believe him to be any sort of star, but TN won the AFC this season with a QB that did minimal things through the air. He was able to control the ball, and the clock. I think that Simms has the skill and the mentality to be that kind of QB, and I can't think of a vet or a team in the league right now that is more equipped to teach him how to manage an offense in this fashion, then Collins and TN.

I also agree with you about Young. I could see him in a place like KC.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
My pain of Simms was watching him choke at Texas. I still have not seen enough of Simms at this level to tell me he has what it takes to manage the game in the manner you suggest.

Mike

Administrator
The Titans got just as far with Young as they got with Collins, and Collins had a better team to work with.

The running game and defense is what put this team in the playoffs this year.

The Titans will very possibly lose Haynesworth in free agency this season, and if that happens, the team is going to struggle next year, no matter who is under center. Haynesworth needs to be their focus, not the quarterback position.

Runnik's Hambones

The Titans got just as far with Young as they got with Collins, and Collins had a better team to work with.

The Titans will very possibly lose Haynesworth in free agency this season, and if that happens, the team is going to struggle next year, no matter who is under center. Haynesworth needs to be their focus, not the quarterback position.

No argument from me here Mike. Haynesworth should without a doubt be the focus of this team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
:hmmm: HUH? Collins takes them to and almost undefeated season, with no wrs to speak of. The only addition was Chris Johnson, and Young had him to start as well this year until he blew it.

Agreed.

Yep. Agree here as well.

Mike

Administrator
:hmmm: HUH? Collins takes them to and almost undefeated season, with no wrs to speak of. The only addition was Chris Johnson, and Young had him to start as well this year until he blew it.

They won three more games, with their division being much weaker than it was last year.

Both years, the Titans made the playoffs, and both years, they lost their first game.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I don'[t see a reason to go away from Collins at this point, no other QB on that roster appears to be ready to take the reigns. Young has accuracy issues along with the fact he hasn't shown the mental capacity to take the stress that goes with being an NFL QB. If he can figure out the mental piece, he can do the physical part; but at this point he has a long way to go and I would not be putting any team on his back right now.

I also agree with Haynesworth makes this team go, he's a stud and they are a shell of what they are with him, without him.