I feel the Bills are in trouble.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
My frustration is they CAN run with RBs, toward the end of the season they were leading in rushing and it was all from the backs. Cook seems to be a real beast and should be taking over for Singletary. But they just seem to keep walking away from their running.
Allen still has what I will call void moments, he is an incredible athlete, but he voids out and makes stupid moves at times, with his athleticism, he should drop and run or throw it away more.
As for Diggs, we are seeing a repeat of what got him shipped out of Minnesota. That does seem to be getting toxic.

efactor

Coming at you
Have to disagree that they are in trouble. They need to draft for defense, which is very overrated against good teams. After they lost Miller, their pass rush was pretty pedestrian.

Their play calling is strange at times. They had a big lead against Miami and instead of running the ball and using short passes to move the ball and use clock, they kept throwing bombs. That seems to be on Dorsey unless Allen is improvising more than he should. They seem to run the ball well and then just stop. Some dynamic off there for sure.

Also, Allen dropped off a lot after the shoulder injury. They said he was fine, but sure looked a lot different after. I was surprised all season that Shakier didn't have a bigger role. McKenzie sucks as a receiver. He's a gadget guy. Shakier should have been in the slot all season.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Also, Allen dropped off a lot after the shoulder injury. They said he was fine, but sure looked a lot different after.
Elbow injury - and reports out now no surgery should be needed to fix the elbow on throwing arm

efactor

Coming at you
One other thing. Compare the way Shanahan coached the Cowboys game against the way McDermott coached the Miami game.

After Pollard went out, Shanahan came to the conclusion that Dallas couldn't do much against the SF defense and played a very conservative offense to shorten the game. Bills have a big lead against Miami and do the opposite.

Remote Controller

My frustration is they CAN run with RBs, toward the end of the season they were leading in rushing and it was all from the backs. Cook seems to be a real beast and should be taking over for Singletary. But they just seem to keep walking away from their running.
Allen still has what I will call void moments, he is an incredible athlete, but he voids out and makes stupid moves at times, with his athleticism, he should drop and run or throw it away more.
As for Diggs, we are seeing a repeat of what got him shipped out of Minnesota. That does seem to be getting toxic.
This locker room just seems messier post game than the Cowboys locker room. One has to wonder if emotions just wore them out after the Hamlin ordeal. :dunno:

maverick824

The GM's comments were alarming. It's his job to work the Cap and his job to draft accordingly like the Bengals have done.
I don't think it's a roster problem. I agree it could be a culture problem (completely agree with the Diggs point). The GM definitely gets blame, and the "we don't want to suck bad enough to be able to get Chase" is sour grapes and an unneeded dig. We were in position to draft Chase because Burrow's knee ligaments were shredded in Washington that year. We got Burrow because the roster was trash at the end of the Dalton/Green run. The Bengals have lowkey hit like crazy on draft picks for a while now, after years of being the laughingstock of drafts.

Complaining about the Bengals all being on rookie deals and it's easier to win is crap as well. Someone may want to remind him that he traded a 1st rounder for Diggs and paid him a ton of money, when he could have simply sat there and drafted the WR that Minnesota used that pick on to replace him. Decent guy, you may have heard of him. Right. Justin Jefferson.

hikeNbike

Late to this discussion. They definitely need pass rushers. That was evident down the stretch. I think they have issues but they are still in a better situation than 80% of the teams in the league. Josh Allen is terrific in fantasy football. As a QB in general he is great too but a little less great. He is going to make incredible plays but will also make some big mistakes. But I'm not sure how you reign that in without losing his big plays. I felt like the Bills tried the conservative approach in the game against the Bengals and it really hampered Allen. Bengals defense also had a lot to do with it and the Bengals offense also was great, but at the end of the game the Bills were held to 10 points at a home playoff game. Also not sure about McDermott he has gotten a lot of credit and rightfully so in getting the Bills to where he has, but at some point he needs to take some criticism for how the team seems to fade late in the season. They definitely seem to peak early.