How high should DeAngelo Williams go in drafts?

If you were drafting for next year right now, where would you select DeAngelo?

• Total voters

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
This guy was without question the runaway #1 fantasy player down the stretch, and completely out of nowhere. Over the final nine games of the season, he put up 1100 yards and 15 TDs, numbers that would give him something like 2000+ yards and close to the TD record over a full season.

Yet most don't have him as the top fantasy back going into next season, and many don't think he's even in the top 5 or 10. If you were drafting right now for next season only, how high would you take DeAngelo Williams?

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I selected second round. I just don't know what the dynamics will be next year with a talent like Jonathan Stewart there.

Arctic Dawgs

I'd say around the 1st turn in a redraft (10/15). How much of a split will Stewart be getting? How long does he have left in his Contract ?? Those questions push him to 2nd round in a Keeper or Dynasty for me

Mike

Administrator
I selected second round. I just don't know what the dynamics will be next year with a talent like Jonathan Stewart there.

This is kind of where I am right now in regards to DeAngelo Williams.

We already know that the coaching staff has concerns about his durability. They used him heavily down the stretch this year, but we don't have any indication that they will in fact do the same for an entire season next year.

Also coming into play here is the Carolina Panthers will be playing a tougher schedule next season, given that they are 12-4 and in the playoffs, as opposed to last year being 7-9. This doesn't always translate into a tougher schedule (see this years New England Patriots), but it is a factor to always consider.

Given what I "know" now, I would have to take the conservative route and let him slide into the 2nd round, especially if it is a PPR league

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
for those of you saying 2nd round, who are the 12-15 guys you take right now ahead of him, just out of curiosity?

Mike

Administrator
Adrian Peterson
Matt Forte
Chris Johnson
Steven Jackson
LaDainian Tomlinson
Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Clinton Portis
Frank Gore
Steve Slaton
Brian Westbrook
Thomas Jones
Maurice Jones-Drew

Possibly
Calvin Johnson
Starting Dallas Cowboys Running Back (I think this will be an open race)
Brandon Jacobs
Greg Jennings

Assuming PPR with some of these picks. And the players are in no particular order

Also, a better outlook of DWill's role next season could have me put him in the 1st round, just can't do it at this point.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
fair enough. i dont know how you take half of those guys above him, but i guess thats just me. and again, thats assuming the draft was right now.

SC#20

Dominator!
DeAngelo went LATE in a couple drafts I was in, as far as 8th round in a 12 team league, Johnathan Stewart was drafted ahead of him.

Did DeAngelo just have a breakout last half of the season, or is he legit?

DeAngelo had 717 rushing yards last year, this year he had 1518.

Guys I would take before DeAngelo include but not limited too:
AP
LT
Brian Westbrook
Frank Gore
Marion Barber
Matt Forte
Steve Slaton
Brandon Jacobs
MJD
Steven Jackson
Andre Johnson
Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald(with Warner at QB)

I wouldnt draft him unless he fell on my lap, in like the 4th or 5th round because I see Johnathan Stewart getting more and more touches.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
how dumb would people feel if they pass on this guy and he just keeps putting up 100 yards and a TD or two (or more) every single game? and they are stuck with someone else hoping he is going to play despite another week listed at questionable. a lot of people would feel awfully stupid i think. :)

SC#20

Dominator!
Your right, but I would rather waste a 1st thru 4th round pick on a FOR SURE running back, I would like one more year out of him, seeing how he only had 1 strong year outta 3. Guys like Slaton and Forte are still ahead of him IMO.

If we are drafting for guys this year, I take DeAngelo #1, but if we are going for next year, I let him drop a few rounds.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Your right, but I would rather waste a 1st thru 4th round pick on a FOR SURE running back, I would like one more year out of him, seeing how he only had 1 strong year outta 3. Guys like Slaton and Forte are still ahead of him IMO.

If we are drafting for guys this year, I take DeAngelo #1, but if we are going for next year, I let him drop a few rounds.
I just don't get this.....you'll pass on DWill who has performed at an ELITE level this past season, but jump on someone like Steve Slaton who had a nice start, but has larger injury concerns and had a good, but not elite season? Not to mention, the supporting cast in Carolina seems to be much more stable than in Houston.

Also, you say a FOR SURE RB, well who do you consider a for sure RB? I don't think there really is a for sure RB in this league due to the pounding these guys take. How many backs show that rookie flash then disapoint? How many look like a can't miss pick then flop?

With DWill I have a guy who's entering his prime and coming off a fantistic year, there is risk with all backs, but I can handle the risk on this one.

SC#20

Dominator!
He performed on an elite status all season? If you look at his stats he didnt really break out till week 8(4 tds thru 8, and 2 in 1 game), and thats about the time Johnathan Stewart hurt his foot(or whatever his inury was). Then he broke out the rest of the season. I just think his last 8 weeks, compared to guys like AP, LT, Gore(who didnt have a great season with Martz, but will be a HUGE value next year with RUN RUN RUN), Westbrook when healthy. Its just too much a risk for ME still, basing a guys #1 draft pick off 8 weeks, thats all.

Runnik's Hambones

I think he is a solid 2nd round pick and this is why: 1st round RBs, IMO, are AP, Westbrook, LT, Frank Gore, and Stephen Jackson. Once those 5 backs are gone, I believe you begin looking elsewhere in the 1st round, at players like Fitz, Andre Johnson, Peyton Manning and Greg Jennings. After these 4 I see the rest of the #1 RBs, that include DWill. This will however place him in the 2nd round in most leagues. That list includes Matt Forte, Michael Turner, Brandon Jacobs, MJD, Steve Slaton, Marion Barber, Clintin Portis, Chris Johnson and Thomas Jones.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This is kind of where I am right now in regards to DeAngelo Williams.

We already know that the coaching staff has concerns about his durability. They used him heavily down the stretch this year, but we don't have any indication that they will in fact do the same for an entire season next year.

Also coming into play here is the Carolina Panthers will be playing a tougher schedule next season, given that they are 12-4 and in the playoffs, as opposed to last year being 7-9. This doesn't always translate into a tougher schedule (see this years New England Patriots), but it is a factor to always consider.

Given what I "know" now, I would have to take the conservative route and let him slide into the 2nd round, especially if it is a PPR league
I am basically here as well.

However, I will say this, and it is why I targeted D.Will instead of Stewart. Carolina has a deathly loyalty to their RB. They have stuck with the "starter" through thick and thin until they had to move on. I see the same with D.Will here. But I think he will be risky next year...due to possible injury from wear and tear this year. So by mid season...you will see more Stewart. JMO.

So I would say early second round say 13-16. But I doubt he is there. Most will take him first round.

Mike

Administrator
how dumb would people feel if they pass on this guy and he just keeps putting up 100 yards and a TD or two (or more) every single game? and they are stuck with someone else hoping he is going to play despite another week listed at questionable. a lot of people would feel awfully stupid i think. :)

No more stupid that people drafting him in the top 5 and ending up seeing him getting less than half the snaps at running back. :cunning:

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
kind of like the people that wasted a first round pick on MJD this year and last year when he doesnt get all the carries and found themselves stuck with a top 10 RB year after year?

SC#20

Dominator!
This is the reason why I don't like DeAngelo, redzone carries go to a healthy Johnathan Stewart, no bueno for DeAngelo.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
This is the reason why I don't like DeAngelo, redzone carries go to a healthy Johnathan Stewart, no bueno for DeAngelo.
ummmm.....DWill scored 20 TD's this year!!! 20!!!!!

Not real worried about his scoring potential.