Holy Shocker... Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
To be the next HC of USC.

Holy cow. Theres so many things to unpack here.

Who takes the job outside of Matt Campbell...

Recruiting, transfer portal, coaching changes...I'm mind blown

hikeNbike

Ton of money. I like the move for him if I'm being objective. Apart from lifestyle LA vs Norman which would be my preference if I had that money, I think it's a good career move. He will never admit it but Oklahoma has tough sledding in the SEC. Assuming Alabama remains in the west just going to the title game is a tall task. And not getting to the sec championship game is not likely to get you in the playoffs. And apart from Bama, you have LSU, Auburn, A &M, Ole Miss that have all been pretty solid and occasionally great. And Texas if they can ever get the right head coach in there feels like a sleeping giant of a situation as well.

Much better to go west and try to Rejuvenate USC in a fertile recruiting ground in California and with maybe outside Oregon (Utah's season this year not withstanding) much less year to year top competition. At the very least this feels like a much easier recipe for getting to the CFP regularly as he was able to do in Oklahoma in the Big 12. Can't win championships if you don't get to the playoff and feels like he can get their at USC.

hikeNbike

I guess all of this is flowery language that basically boils down to at least from a football standpoint it's much better to coach at a blue blood school that doesn't have Nick Saban in your conference (and same division) than one that does.