FSU's Mickey Andrews to Retire

Skedar120

Buccaneer Faithful
Florida State Seminoles defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews to retire - ESPN

ESPN said:
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Mickey Andrews, Florida State's defensive coordinator since 1984, will retire at the end of the season.

Andrews, 68, was scheduled to meet with reporters later Tuesday. His decision was announced in a statement released through the university.

"For 47 years it's been about me," Andrews said. "Now it's time to be about us -- my family."

Andrews has been regarded as the architect of the Seminoles' defense for the last quarter-century. Coach Bobby Bowden credits Andrews' work for producing a pair of national championships for the Seminoles.

"He's been here 26 years and we've had such success and you just have to credit him with the success we've had since he came," Bowden said in the statement. "He's done such a great job. We'll miss him and his wife and family."

As much as I think it may be another sign of the administration trying to get Bowden out, I actually think this is a good move for both parties.

I've been saying for a while that part of the problem with our defense is that we've been playing the same man coverage defense for 10 years, and with growing athletic ability and more complex offenses, you can't rely on that anymore (it doesn't stop there, obviously). No disrespect to Andrews at all, I think he did wonderful things for us, but I think bringing in a fresher defensive mind could help us get back on the right track. I'm just glad that he initiated the retirement instead of being called out to do it.

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
Agreed. And I don't think this will be the last of the retirements we see during and after this season.

Mickey earned his place in the history books in Florida State no doubt. We'll miss you buddy...

Runnik's Hambones

Talked about this today with USF's D-Cord, Joe Tresey. He had nothing but great and admirable things to say about good ole Mick. He will be missed by the game.